Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I'm hoping to start grad school in the fall, but first I need to take the GRE.  I haven't done the college thing since 2005 (and even then it was all internship/student teaching), so to say I'm a bit rusty is probably a bit of an understatement.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think I'm going to take the test in March, which will give me about 8 weeks to prep for it.  I'm pretty sure I'll do ok on the writing part but I know I need a refresher on the other two sections (my vocabulary the last few years has consisted of baby talk LOL).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can anyone recommend a good study guide, book or web?  Advice for the test itself?</p>

·
Registered
466 Posts
<p>Hi!  I took a while off between undergrad and grad school so I was rusty too!  I attended a GRE prep course from Kaplan.  It was expensive but completely worth it to me.  I'd imagine that Kaplan probably offers online courses now.  I did this a while ago so that wasn't an option then.  I really felt very prepared when I took the test.  Good luck!</p>

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
<p>have you ever taken the GRE? I was able to use my decade-old scores when I applied for grad school the second time, even though the university didn't normally allow that. I petitioned for a policy exemption because I had already received a masters at that university, and they knew my skills and abilities.</p>

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>No, I've never taken it.  When I finished my bachelor's, I was so burned out I swore I'd never go back.  LOL</p>

·
Registered
27 Posts
<p>Kaplan has books, flashcards and workbooks that are good, and some even have a CDRom and/or online component.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've heard that some of the Princeton Review stuff is okay, but I only have experience with Kaplan, and I liked it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<p>There also is some good resources online if you want to take a <a href="http://www.catprep.com" target="_blank">gre practice test</a> - I always find I get a lot of anxiety taking big tests so I tend to over prepare now.</p>

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
<p>As far as GRE prep books go the Princeton Review one is good. It's called "Cracking the GRE."  It has some practice tests in it with real questions from past tests also.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts