Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking we should have a thread where we can all post things we are currently enjoying eating, since most of us are into eating right now

I know I am!!
So we can post quick and easy recipes and things like that on here to inspire each other to try new things and eat healthy! Post as much as you wish, we will like reading about tasty things

so ill start.
This is a salad that is incredibly tasty and fresh for summer. I am from Russia and we dont really use lettuce there so this wont have any lettuce. I promise you its delicious!
two things: you can skip any ingredients that you dont like or add some you do such as sweet pepper. Just dont add lettuce lol or it wont be the same
And as far as the cucumbers go- see if you can get pickling cucumbers instead, they are little and crunchy and are a lot more sweet and tasty. And also its fun to experiment with tomatoes-for example i like to use both yellow tomatoes and red, for visual appeal and taste variety or you can also use cherry tomatoes-very pretty and taste good!

In a bowl pour some olive oil on the bottom. Chop garlic and throw in the oil, then smush it in there with a fork so it can sit and absorb in the oil. Cut cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, cilantro OR dill (whichever you like better,both dont really go together imo). You can also throw in green onions.
Throw everything in the bown and mix well. Add olive oil if needed and youre done! Oh and salt to taste.
The best part is at the end-scoop up all the tomato/olive oil/herbs with toasted bread.
YUM!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Oh man thats sounds great, and I have everything in my garden I need. I know what I'm eating tomorrow!
For me my main craving is meat...and tons of it. Oh yes and salt.
Jackie

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
That salad sounds great!

I haven't been cooking at all - I've been so exhausted. I have been addicted to this couscous salad I got at the deli. Pretty much all I've been eating is meat and carbs, lol!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I will HAVE to try that salad! I don't like lettuce in my salads anyway and this sounds perfect. Especially with the garlic! Mmmmmmm.......

I've mainly been munching on my veggie pattie sandwiches for lunch with some onion, lettuce and either cilantro or basil in it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Three eggs with real bacon and a fruit and yogurt smoothie and a muffin or a piece of toast for breakfast #1...

...for breakfast #2, some dried fruit, raw unsalted nuts (okay, snack, but whatever)

...for lunch, leftover casserole or a bean and cheese on whole wheat tortillas quesedilla (sp?)

...then high protein spread or dip with crackers, and if I'm being good, some raw vegs

...last night for dinner it was homemade pizza on whole wheat crust with lots of hamburger, pepperoni, cheese, sauce, and vegs. With a spinach and vegetable tossed salad and some apple wedges.

...then popcorn, shared with ds, and a silken tofu, chocolate soymilk, half banana shake-smoothie.

Who's brave enough to count all the calories in that??? I'm close to enough protein for the day, though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm hardly eating anything I enjoy at this point. However cheese fries seem to make me feel better. I never eat cheese fries since I'm such a health nut but for some reason I crave it and since it has made me feel better I've had it twice so far!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Got another good late-summer salad for you - chewy bread, sourdough is good, cut into chunks, chunks of really ripe tomatoes, red onions, fresh basil leaves, fresh mozzarella if you want. Mix everything but the bread and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Then mix in the bread chunks and EAT. Mmm.

I have strong cravings for salty, bitter, pungent foods...Love spaghetti puttanesca (tomato sauce with anchovies, kalamata olives, lots of garlic, capers, pepper flakes, parsley...everything good). Trying to avoid white food so I'll go for whole wheat pasta.

Tried to eat some eggs as per brewer this morning and couldn't hack it. But almonds, cashews, and dried fruit are great.

Had lamb shoulder chops last night, grilled, with spinach sauteed with olive oil, garlic, squeeze a lemon over it. Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh man i keep coming back here and reading

everythig sounds so delicious. I wonder if someone posted that they ate a shoe i think id want it thats how hungry i get

i have to try that bread chunk salad.

ive been craving lamb chops too. i want to make that sauce they put in gyros.
the yogurt mixed with garlic and cucumber. then ill put it on top of the lamb chops and make roasted potatoes as a side. ok here i go again eating my own hand
i may eat the keyboard if im not careful

im off to eat!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I won't say that I am a hungry woman, but I have to be. I am hyperglycemic/or hypo, which ever one where your blood sugar drops. I am currently sitting through ahsaking spell and eating cheese and chips, sun chips, yummy. But I have to eat every few hours and it has to be good portien or this happens. It is really worse through pregnancy. Though it seems to be hitting me worse this time. Hey, I would rather this, I gues than morsning sickness. But I have been eating lots of hummas, cheese. I am craving burgers and such, but it constipates the crap out of me, ha ha that was funny, eh? My husband and inlaws, they were just visiting, were making fun of me having to eat all the time. But they saw yesterday what hapned when I didn't. Oh and so craving some chocolate. We went to seattle and got some good chocolate. I am afraid I ate it all. Half of it was my husbands dark choclate, which I usually don't touch. I hope he is alright with this when he gets home

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I have hungry woman envy. I remember what it's like to have an appetite and enjoy your food-- just barely!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'm enjoying it for now, as I predict I will enter nausea-land sometime next week. Then, I will have to eat whatever weird food will go down the hatch and try to remain nutritional.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I spend most of the morning/afternoon starving, and want to eat...nothing. I did get 2 boxes of sushi from the grocery store yesterday - thinking it would be 2 lunches - but ended up eating both.
:

I sent DH to Wendy's last night b/c I HAD to have a plain baked potato. And I want another one tonight, and one tomorrow too!! I had the same phase with DD - only wanted baked potatos and canned lentil soup. Ack - I forgot we're going to GFIL's for dinner and I have to cook for him and DH! Yikes! Gotta go defrost something meaty for them (but totally sending DH to get potatoes on the way home....) All I want is bland and salty - But I'm doing well with my eggs in the morning!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I was kinda like that my last pregnancy. I think all I ate for 4 mnths was hashbrowns and cheese. That is actually soundeing really good. but then so is Wendys now

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The best summer food. . I've totally been slurping this up. On batch #3

Best gazpacho recipe ever

Here is the basic recipe

3 ripe tomatoes (1 1/2 lbs), cubes (abt 4 cups)
2 small red peppers (1 lb), cubed, (abt 2 cups)
2 small cucumbers, half with skin, half without, seeded, cubes, (abt 2 cups)
1/2 small sweet onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
2 medium garlic, mince
2 tsp, salt
1/3 cup sherry vingar (or white wine) I use a combo of cooking sherry and whine vinegar
black pepper
5 cups tomotao juice, perferably Welch's
1 tsp hot pepper sauce (optional)
8 ice cubes
extra-virgin olive oil

Put all the minced veggies and wine/vinegar in a non-reactive bowl. Let sit for 10-15 mintues.
Pour in juice, hot sauce and ice cubes. Cover and refrigerate. Try to wait 2-4 hours before eating. Drizzle a bit of olive oil and maybe sprikle some croutons. Enjoy

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am suddenly very into bread and unable to eat raw veges! So most of your salads are out for me
Couldn't even get down some tomato sauce with a cheese calzone for lunch, too acidic. And I'm starting to feel nauseous when my stomach is empty. I'm kind of heartburnish. Seems too early for that? Now craving things that will soothe my stomach like bread, yogurt, pudding. Amazing how quickly things change. I was really into salty/greasy earlier in the week.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ugh, I've been eating stuff like canteloupe and pudding. I'll think a meal sounds great and once I start eating it, I start feeling queasy and sick of it. Maybe if I had a magic chef to whip up any food I thought of instantly, I might be able to eat more. It is the preparation that is making it so hard, by the time it is ready, it is too late and I'm sick again.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The next time I decide to indulge in a craving that involves fast food, stop me! I went out and bought a big meal of KFC last night (souless chicken, I know...) and it made me so ill after I got done warfing down 3 pieces of chicken, more than half of a big container of mashed potatoes and gravy, two biscuits, and 1/4 of the chocolate cake they give you.

...wonder why?
:

I will be eating healthy for the next several days, with no exceptions, as my body is surely gone into food additive, preservative, cheaply grown and processed gastro-intestinal hell. Why did I DO that to myself?

It tasted good going down, though.

·
Registered
709 Posts
the cravings have come and gone for me... first it was red meat. so dh and i went out to dinner and i got steak with the most amazing sour cream+leek mashed potatoes and garlic-y broccoli rabe, followed by a dark chocolate and chipotle pot de creme, which we shared!

now i'm dying for green beans for some reason (had some steamed last night, tossed with a teeny bit of butter, dijon mustard and thyme from the garden, sooooo good and i want more!) and pierogies. i never knew about them before i met my husband, how did i live?? potato wrapped in pasta? sign me up!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bemommy - i will just HAVE TO try that! Sounds goooooooood!!!!!!!

Dividedsky - where is your man from?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts