Mothering Forum banner

The iron will of a toddler...should i take the toys away?

762 views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Satori 
#1 ·
I'm getting used to this whole "I'm a toddler hear me roar" thing.

This morning we had a playdate with some mdc moms...which was tons of fun btw... I was trying to get the house ready. I was done except for T's room. It is always a mess because he insists on throwing his toys out of the toy box. They are always all over his floor. He gets out every toy he owns and every book all at once and throws it in the middle of his floor.

I'm sitting in front of the toy box putting the toys in and he is screaming at me, hitting me on the back, and pulling all of the toys back out. I asked him to help and he yelled NO and kept throwing them. So, I cleaned as fast as I could and got him out of the room to distract him. Not 5 mintues later he went back in and dumped his toy box.

So, I had this idea nad don't know if it would work or not.

What if I took all his toys out of his room and only left a few in there; like a car, a book, and some of his little people? Then after he got used to having jsut a few in there and putting them away; add more back in. The kid has a ton of toys and I've already gotten rid of half of them.

But I'm trying to find a way to teach him to not throw them all over and play with some and then put them up but he seems to have too many to choose from and I think sometimes the choices drive him over the edge.

Any other ideas??

See less See more
Discussion starter · #7 ·
yeah, he just doens't play with the toys he has all over the place. He always plays with the same ones. The rest are jsut in the floor taking up all the play space he has.

He doesn't like to pick them up...even with a song... and he doesn't like us to clean them up either. I'm thinking removing some of them would be the best solution.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Well I did it today. He was occupied elsewhere and I did it with out him around. He walked into his room and was first like "Where did my stuff go?". Then I took him over to the toy box (I wanted the cubbie things but we couldn't find them and had to have something.). He looked in and got all bright eyed... BALL!! and that was all it took.

Clean up still didn't go well because he knows its a sign of bedtime.

But I think it'll work well for him.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
He has gotten picky about his space lately. He wants to be in the bath alone. I sit outside the door and watch him but he doesn't see me. The minute he does see me he yells for me to go.

The limited toys doesn't seem to be bothering him. Of course yesterday he was locked outside of his room. After getting up from his nap he proceeded to take off his diaper and poop all over his room...literally. He played in it. It was smeared on his toy box and wall. he even went so far as to run his toys and my shoe through it. So, now I'm even more glad he had only a few toys!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.