Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>So after tossing around thoughts on whether to take the gestational diabetes screening, I decided to do it.  Today at my appointment, the lab staff member gave me the drink and told me to drink it and then they would call me when they needed to draw my blood sample.  They didn't tell me how long it would take or anything, just "we'll let you know when".  I remembered reading online something about the first test being an hour, so after 90 minutes I went to the desk and inquired how long I was supposed to wait.  I thought perhaps they were doing it differently now or something.  WRONG!  After a confused discussion between staff members, they informed me that the woman who gave me my drink forgot to set the timer and basically I had been forgotten. :(  They said the test was not supposed to be taken more than 10 minutes past the hour and I would likely have to take the test again at another time.  GRRRRR!  They called the head lab who told them to draw the blood anyway and they would make a note of it on my form and then my midwives could decide whether I should take the test again or not.  Does anyone have any info on whether test results can give decent info even when the blood is drawn half hour late?   I kind of think that if someone's body was having trouble processing the sugar after one hour, they would still be having trouble a half hour later and it would still show as high?  I don't know enough about the science to understand it all, but it seems that the body would be either consistently having trouble, and that if the body had processed the sugar sufficiently after 90 minutes then maybe it would indicate that the person does not likely have GD, or blood sugar issues?</p>
<p>I feel disappointed and irritated, since I was not sure whether I should even take the test at all but decided that it would be a good thing to know.  My experience with the mainstream medical system has always been disappointing and negative, and even now that I'm with midwives I am still in contact with "the mainstream system" enough to have them continue to fail me. :(  I'm sorry this kind of turned into a vent.  My poor baby, being drowned in this nasty liquid for NOTHING!  Hopefully he will not be born with an unexplained addiction to McDonald's orange pop from repeated exposure to the nasty glucose syrup in the womb! :p</p>
<p>Anyways, any info on whether test results can still be salvaged from a "too late tested" test would be greatly appreciated!  I suppose that all the research has been done strictly with the 60 minute results and that any deviation results in a big fat question mark and the need to test again. *SIGH*!</p>

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
<p>well there is standard number for a 1 hour and a 2 hour and a 3 hour draw, so it seems like s smart person armed with those numbers could look at your results and make an educated reading of things.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>the only strange thing is that the 1 hour only tests are set really strict to catch more folks, were as the 3 hour test (witch draws blood multiple times is set laxer and you need 2 high number to fail it according to most labs.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>so if i were in your shoes i would learn about the numbers myself and then make sure to get your actual number not just a report of if it was high or low. that way you can also do your own math and if you see no issue refuse to do more, if you see some thing of borderline concern you can think about if you want to continue on the the 3 hour test (no need to redo the 1 hour) or not, also there is the option to just address your eating regardless and eat like you should if you were borderline.</p>

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
<p>lol. I know it's not funny, but I really want McDonald's orange pop now :) I will have to call DH.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Like Adorkable mentioned, your sugars drop (or rather should drop) at a prescribed rate, so even at 90 min they will be able to tell if you are way out of line. If you are close they will probably have you take it again.</p>

·
Registered
321 Posts
<p>I had GD with my last pregnancy and my blood sugar could change quite a bit in 30 minutes.  A full 30 points for sure sometimes...especially after something pretty sugary.  And I've know women who have barely failed their 1-hr (just by a few points) and wound up failing the 3-hr too.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, the 3-hr test uses a 75g glucose drink so trying to use numbers for a 3-hr test to determine the result of a 1-hr test wouldn't work.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>All that to say...chances are you're fine. :)</p>

·
Registered
71 Posts
<p>I have gestational diabetes that is well controlled with diet and exercise.  My number after an hour and a half is usually no indicator of where it would have been after 1 hour.  That extra half an hour would give your body 150% of the time to release and use insulin to bring your number back down.  Especially after eating something that is pure sugar, like the drink is, that crash can happen really fast (It's why you have a "sugar crash" if you eat a bunch of sugary food).  So it might be that you would have been high after 1 hour, but that your body managed to get it under control before your blood draw at 1 1/2 hours.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>They probably will ask you to take the test again.  Especially if you have any risk factors or if it is anywhere near the high/borderline range.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would probbly just do the 3 hour test if you do have to do it again, just so you don't have to face the glucola yet another time if it comes back high.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Alternately, you might ask your midwife if you can just test your blood sugar an hour after meals for a week or two.  If your numbers look good, then there is really no need to worry.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts