Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies,

I have the light bulb blues...I hate the color of the light my new great energy saving bulbs have...it feels too fluorescent. I know this is probably a stupid question because the answer must be out there...but can you find lights that light a room with a similar color (soft) to the regular bulbs?

TIA!

·
Registered
96 Posts
At my Home Depot they have a display set up with 3 or 4 lights so you can see the different light brightness they give off.. we also found some small ones in the "candle pyramid" shape if that makes sense for night lights and bedside lights that are 3 watts or 15 watts that only burn 3 maybe. Those are expensive 4-5$ apiece, but home depot will exchange them if they burn out.. we had that happen last week.

here's a link..
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We use full spectrum flourescent bulbs. These are a much healthier quality of light. We have them at work and at home so when we are forced to be inside all day we still get the good healthy color spectrum of the sun.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I have some CF from Ikea that have a globe surrounding the tube. They must have a filter of some sort, because the light is yellow. We have the lowest power standard socket bulbs in our bedroom and the light is very soft, but adequate for reading.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I have some in the dining room now where most of my house plants are at that are much brigter than the soft ones in the other rooms, my husband dislikes them soooo much, he has agreed to let them stay until it gets warm enough out for the plants to go outside because they do provide more light for the plants. I admit they are a little yucky in the dine room but I love those types of bulbs for my sewing room where they don't hinder color of my fabric. (don't cast weird shadows, glows, I can tell similar colors apart)

If you can stop by a home depot or someplace similar to see their display like the PP was talking about it does help, but remeber depending on the color your room is painted the glow you see in the store is not going to be the same as the glow at home.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
In some fixtures, I use 2 CFL bulbs and one "warm" incandescent bulb. The total energy cost is reduced, but the light ends up a little warmer.

Also, if you change them out one at a time in multiple bulb fixtures, your spouse is less likely to notice :)

Another great use for CFL is outdoor lighting - these tend to be on for a few hours every night, and the quality of color correction is not so important.

The color spectrum does vary with CFL brand, so keep checking different ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.