Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 month old patterdale terrier is usually a very sweet, affectionate dog. He's never aggressive with anyone, not kids, strangers, or other dogs. But he doesn't like baths.

I bathe him every eight or ten weeks, so only a handful of times, and he's never liked it. Usually he whines pitifully for the 10 minutes it takes to wash and rinse him, shivering with his tail between his legs.

Today he figured out what was going on before I put him in the tub, and the little
reached around and tried to bite me. I put him down, told him NO! and he went into a corner and sat down with his head down, shivering.

I called him over to me, gave him a treat, and petted him for a while to get him to calm down, but when I went to pick him up, he bared his teeth and growled at me. He's never done this before for any reason.

I gave him a few drops of pet calm and left him in the bathroom. I'm hoping that once he's in there for a while he'll settle down.

I love my dog. He's sweet and fun and great with the kids, but if he attacks me, I swear I'll kill him. He's not a big dog but he's strong and I can't take the risk.

He needs a bath. He's shedding and he stinks. How can I get him clean and not have to have my dog put down?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
boy. my mom used to have a grooming business and most all the dogs were really good.

i think if they went to nip they just got put in the tub. kind of like, "you can try to bite me but you're still getting a bath buddy." does he have good bite inhibition? like if he goes to bite you is he gentle or will he bite hard?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He nips at our fingers and toes all the time when we play, but he's never hurt any of us. Some mornings he wakes me by nibbling my hand when it's trailing off of the bed when whining doesn't work or he pulls at the kids clothes when I tell him to go get someone. Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
If regular bathing needs to be a part of his life, I would muzzle him for it.

10 months old is a VERY normal age for young dogs to challenge their human for dominance, so I don't think you should freak out about it, but I definitely think you should assert yourself dramatically until it passes.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Have you considered taking him to the vet?
If this isn't normal for him then maybe he is having some pain or something when you pick him up or the vet can give you some advice.

You could try those waterless baths or wipes.

My dog also does not like baths and would struggle a lot. I started feeding him treats during the bath and it has helped.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
He sounds like he's trying to tell you what to do (or what not to do). He's learned that using his teeth gets results. I'd make it clear who's making the rules and I would look into the "nothing in life is free" approach, it worked very well for us.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantaja View Post
He nips at our fingers and toes all the time when we play, but he's never hurt any of us. Some mornings he wakes me by nibbling my hand when it's trailing off of the bed when whining doesn't work or he pulls at the kids clothes when I tell him to go get someone. Is that what you mean?
pretty much. i mean, when he bit at you was he just telling you "no" by lightly touching you with his teeth or was he trying to hurt you. there's a difference in the bites and the intent behind them. if he barely touched you with his teeth i'd just pick up him, kind of scruff him if he goes to bite you to keep his face away and put him in the tub, let him know that will not be tolerated and you decide when he gets a bath.

that's what *i* would do, in fact, it would have been second nature to do that at the time. if you aren't confident enough of a dog owner to feel extremely comfortable doing that then you should buy a muzzle or figure out alternatives for bathing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
If regular bathing needs to be a part of his life, I would muzzle him for it.

10 months old is a VERY normal age for young dogs to challenge their human for dominance, so I don't think you should freak out about it, but I definitely think you should assert yourself dramatically until it passes.
yep. bolded part is great advice. are you making him work for his dinner?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
My first stop would be to the vet too - a sudden change in behaviour is often due to a health issue.

I'm kind of surprised he needs to be bathed that often, my dogs only get baths about once a year. But some of it has to do with the food the dog is on as well as their mud-rolling, mess-making habits.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post
So, when he tried to bite you in order to make you stop bathing him... you stopped bathing him?

Then you treated and petted and praised him?

Am I reading this right?
:

Seriously, the dog is training you.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post
So, when he tried to bite you in order to make you stop bathing him... you stopped bathing him?

Then you treated and petted and praised him?

Am I reading this right?
Ick. I suppose you're right. My intention was to calm him, but I guess I did just reinforce the behaviour. I didn't think of it that way.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
:

Seriously, the dog is training you.

No, actually, the OP is actively training her dog TO BITE HER.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantaja View Post
Ick. I suppose you're right. My intention was to calm him, but I guess I did just reinforce the behaviour. I didn't think of it that way.
Dogs aren't people though. Stroking/petting/talking 'soothingly'/giving food/etc etc etc are training tools. They are not soothing to the dog, they are ways of telling the dog that you want it to do that particular activity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.