Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I are just NOT able to come to a consensus on a name, and neither of us is dead-set on the names that we each like.

BUT WE BOTH LOVE
THE NAME JACK.

I remember sitting on the couch with dh even before we knew we were having a boy, and when he suggested Jackson (and likely calling him Jack), I loved it right away. And we've been wanting to encorporate dh's grandfather's name, Elroy, and we think 'Jackson Elroy' is just so cool-sounding.

Well once we found out baby is a boy, I started looking into meanings. Liam (ds1) means 'protector,' which is just perfect...he's going to be the best big brother. I then learned that Jack means 'supplanter,' which means 'something that takes the place of something else.' I instantly pushed the name aside, as I do not want anything/anyone taking the place of my little boy. DH had the same reaction.

But now it's been 2 months and we're stumped. Last night, we were talking names again, and I mentioned that I still just love the name Jack. So now we're kind of reconsidering...but I still hate the meaning!!! Arg! I know that we still have 3 months before we have to decide, but it would be cool to have it picked out.

So how much weight do you give to the meaning of a name before deciding to used it for your dc? Has a meaning ever kept you from using a name that you loved...or even just liked?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes. My favorite girl name was Lorelei. It's my mother's mother's middle name, so a family name (I never met her, but I like the name and we try to pick names that have some family meaning).

Anyway, Lorelei means enchanting temptress, seductress. And that was the end of Lorelei.

DH wasn't completely in love with the name. He liked it, but he didn't love it. So it might have been different if we had both been totally sold. We've decided on Carlie, which we both like and is similar to my Mom's name instead.

That said, I do love the name Jack. It's been pretty popular for the past few years though. I guess a lot of people aren't put off by their sons being supplanters. LOL.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I wouldn't put to much stock in the meaning of a name. I've looked up our names in multiple locations and every single one of them had a different definition. Some of them were even complete opposites. One had it defined as "light" the other as "dark"

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
One had it defined as "light" the other as "dark"
^ That's funny!

Hmmm...maybe I'll scour the internet until I find a meaning I like.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Meaning has been really important to us in choosing a name. I loved the name skylar for both a boy and a girl, but one site said that it meant "fugitive". I didn't like that at all, so I took it off the list.

Meaning to me is more important than the actual name I think. That being said, I don't think that many people will be looking up the meaning of the name we choose unless it is something really unique or foreign. My name is Jaiya, and people ask me all the time what it means, I think because it is unique.

So my two cents would be if you think that the name will get a lot of questions about what it means then meaning is important because your child will want to know how to respond to that question eventually. But if the name is pretty standard (whatever that means- perhaps Jon or Sue are examples of common names) then maybe they won't be asked what the meaning of that name is. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
To us, meanings are what you make of them. Maybe you are looking at "supplanter" the wrong way. Maybe little baby Jack is there to take the ROLE of the baby in your family. Right now Liam is the baby, but maybe if you name the baby Jack it would be symbolic of Liams time to grow up and into his names meaning "The Protector" of his little brother. We all know that this baby is NOT going to replace your precious Liam, but maybe your could focus on the roles that he will replace of Liams and in a sense allowing Liam to REALLY blossum into the little boy he is becoming and out of his BABY stages. This is just a thought though. You can even ignore my ramblings if you would like

I think if a name speaks to you there is a REASON behind it, it might not be the meaning that speaks to you, but just the name itself. Good Luck and for what its worth I think the name Jackson Elroy is adorable.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aly22681 View Post
To us, meanings are what you make of them. Maybe you are looking at "supplanter" the wrong way. Maybe little baby Jack is there to take the ROLE of the baby in your family. Right now Liam is the baby, but maybe if you name the baby Jack it would be symbolic of Liams time to grow up and into his names meaning "The Protector" of his little brother. We all know that this baby is NOT going to replace your precious Liam, but maybe your could focus on the roles that he will replace of Liams and in a sense allowing Liam to REALLY blossum into the little boy he is becoming and out of his BABY stages. This is just a thought though. You can even ignore my ramblings if you would like

I think if a name speaks to you there is a REASON behind it, it might not be the meaning that speaks to you, but just the name itself. Good Luck and for what its worth I think the name Jackson Elroy is adorable.
Good Luck!
Oh my gosh. You just made me teary-eyed. If I were at home and not at work, I would be crying. Your ramblings are perfect, and exactly what I needed to hear.
I think you just decided our little boy's name for us. I'm going to tell dh tonight, and I'll let y'all know what he says.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Meanings don't mean a lot to us. Our little boy will be named Jon Cameron, but we're calling him (guess what??) Jack.

I've always just viewed meanings in a "isn't that funny? haha" kind of way. Like when I look up my name and it says whatever it means (which I have no idea what it means) I just go "oh, ok" and forget about it two seconds later.

·
Registered
428 Posts
We haven't put any stock in the meaning of our kids names. Both my boys are named after their grandfathers, and my first born is Jack =). I think each child will give their own name meaning with time, as their personality develops. It's not as if the meaning of the name will define them.

I would like to add, as a mother of a Jack, it is a VERY popular name, at least where I live. In my mom's group at church (which is small and only about 8-10 moms) there are 3 Jacks. There are quite a few at his preschool, too. My Jack is not EVER called Jack, but he is always called Jack (Last Name). So, with this baby girl coming for me, I really want to try and use a name that isn't quite so popular. But this may not bother you, just thought I would give my 2 sense!

With all that said, I still LOVE the name Jack, and I think your name Jackson Elroy is really nice. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by texanatheart View Post
Oh my gosh. You just made me teary-eyed. If I were at home and not at work, I would be crying. Your ramblings are perfect, and exactly what I needed to hear.
I think you just decided our little boy's name for us. I'm going to tell dh tonight, and I'll let y'all know what he says.
YAY!! I'm glad I could help! Let us know what DH says!!!

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aly22681 View Post
YAY!! I'm glad I could help! Let us know what DH says!!!
He loved it, too!! Though he didn't get emotional about it.
So now we're 95% sure we'll use either Jackson Elroy or Elroy Jackson -- It's kinda weird to decide 3 months before he arrives, but I just cannot imagine finding another name we like with as much as we have looked!

Thanks again so much, Aly! And I really appreciate all that all of you had to offer as well!!!!!!!! You mamas are AWESOME!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Isobel means "My God is a vow", and trust me... we did NOT pick it for the meaning.
DH is Agnostic, and I am Pagan. I'm not too worried about it, as my name means "God beholds" .... eh... but can also mean "wealth". I am certainly not wealthy, but I do have a wealthy of amazing friends and family, so I am wealthy in that manner.

My husband's name, however, is SOOO fitting to his personality. His name is Justin, which means "Justice", and he is VERY much about making sure everyone is on equal ground, and everything is just and fair - to the point of it driving other people crazy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.