Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When DS (almost 10m) was younger I used the mei tai a lot. He has always been a heavy kid. They were great when I first put them on but then would slip down and it would pull on my neck and make my neck/upper back hurt. Tried the lexi twist, could not get it tight enough.<br><br>
Now that he is big enough to do the hip carry I've been using the sling again for that. But it also pulls on my neck and it hurts. I can't carry him for very long like that. Plus I have the thing as tight as can be and he keeps slipping down I have to keep pulling him back up again and his bum will even start slipping out. It also puts pressure on my hip and makes that hurt. I also feel like I'm leaning to the opposite side of what hip I'm carrying him on, are you supposed to compensate like that or walk/stand straight?<br><br>
I would loooove to be able to do a back carry with the mei tai but cannot do that one on my own. Plus the couple times I did try that I thing that pulled on my neck also.<br><br>
I must be doing something wrong, but what? My sling is the Over the Shoulder Baby Holder. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
No advice about what you might be doing wrong, because I haven't seen you in it and anyway I'm not an expert. You might want to post some pictures on your website. How much does DS weigh? Have you considered using a podaegi or rebozo, which don't have to go over the shoulders?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I've never used the mei tai, but I HATED the over the shoulder baby holder literally wore it once and never again...seriously hated it with all my might. I 've found that hotslings work for me since you can pull them down over your shoulder, no pressure on your neck whatsoever..same with my zolowear ring sling...I can't stand the ones that ride up on my neck either...KILLER!! Try on of these, they should work for you...you just put the kid in and then pull it down over your shoulder to make the other end stay..it really balances out and doesn't hurt your neck or back at all (at least in my experience).<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Without pictures it's hard to tell for sure, but by your description it sounds like your sling isn't centered on the ball of your shoulder and spread evenly over the shoulder and back. It should not be anywhere near your neck...<br>
Also with your DC slipping out...make sure that DC is in a seated position and that the bottom rail of the sling is pulled to his knees and the fabric is securely under his bum. (So it creates a little seat) Also he should be sitting down with his bum lower than his knees...<br>
see last months issue of mothering, it has a great babywearing section.<br>
Good luck.<br>
You may just need a different type of sling, not all slings work for everyone!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I will check the different styles recommended. I would also like something not as thick as the OTSBH (it was the only sling the B&M store sold) since it gets so hot and humid here in the summer. I noticed also when I wear it, it slips and the shoulder pad will end up on my chest! And I think it does end up against my neck. I also have a hard time getting him into it because it's already so tight against me.<br><br>
I do try and make sure the bottom of the sling is curved around his bum, but maybe I am not getting it all the way to his knees.<br><br>
I think he weighs about 24 lbs right now and he's tall for his age.<br><br>
We do have NINO meetings in my area, I have to check and see if there's any on the weekends I can go to. I should see if I can get some pics of the sling to show you.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
As far as the MT goes, what kind of straps does it have? Wide, wrap like straps may be easier for you to get away from your neck and to keep away from your neck.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have two different style mei tais, and I think they both have wider shoulder straps. The whole thing seems to slip down though, so he is not sitting up as high, and that is when it pulls on my neck. Plus he doesn't want to be facing in anymore anyways.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
You have an OTSBH? I had a NOJO (similar) and hated it... i'd go for a more lightly padded or unpadded sling, if you want a sling, and make sure that it's on your shoulder, more to the side than the top.<br><br>
As for a mei tai, I wear both staps on the "outsides" of my shoulders....

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
...and super snug, because if he can lean back, it'll kill your back!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Ophelia,<br>
Just noticed that you're in Minnesota! So am I...if you ever want to meet up and talk slings I'd love to!<br>
Summer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts