Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Originally quoted by Dar I do try to lead an interesting life and invite her along for the ride, when she wants to come.
I have been meaning to start this thread for a looooooooooong time.

But here it is finally. I LOVED this quote, Dar and I agree that this is what unschooling is really about.

However, me being the eternal worrier, it caused me some concern. I worry that my life isn't interesting enough for my future children to emulate and learn from. I think constantly of ways to afford them an enriching environment. What kind of ppl I would want them surrounded by (i.e. ppl who speak another language, ppl who live lifestyles very different than me and their family, ppl with professions that they are/would be interested in), how I would get more diversity into their lives (especially if we end up in a culturally deficit neighborhood), how I could "naturally" have them exposed to topics that they wouldn't otherwise, etc.

But I also think about how I feel like I don't have extraordinarily cool hobbies that I work at. I just want my children to see me passionate about things and working hard to learn more about them, yk? I've heard of homeschooling moms here who are into horseback riding, pottery, etc. I love learning about mothering at the time being. Why would my children be interested in that?? I want to be a child psychologist...that just doesn't carry over into a topic that my children would search out information on...

I guess I'm rambling here but I wonder how many of us worry that we're not living full enough lives. And what all we are doing about that. I guess that's one of the reasons I want to unschool. It would afford me time to get more involved in my own passions and find that I didn't some that I didn't even know existed.

Am I making sense here??? Any thoughts?

Kylix

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Ya know, I have a homeschooling friend who's in Malawi now, with her two boys. Her emails sound incredibly cool, and sometimes I feel kind of boring in comparision. But, really, there are lots of things to learn everywhere, and "interesting" seems to me more what you make of the life you lead. Right now I find my little dysfunctional throw-seeds-water-and-hope garden to be pretty fascinating, since it's all pretty new to me. My biggest problem is figuring out what's a weed and what's either a zinnia, a carrot, or lettuce. The lettuce is the trickiest, but I think the things with smooth leaves are lettuce and the jagged leaves are weeds. We may not know or sure until we make salad.

Today we met a friend of Rain's and her mom, my friend, at a music store, and while we were waiting the owner invited Rain to try out some drums. So she checked them out and did some drumming, including a bit she said was from "Free to Be, You and Me", which is a record I got because I loved it when I was a kid, that she's now played at least 20 times. Friend and daughter are both on the Atkins diet, so the 4 of us talked some during lunch about proteins and carbs and sugars, and then later Rain and I talked about changes we might want to make in our eating habits, and what we thought of the whole Atkins thing.

So, it's nothing big and impressive, just an ever-changing swirl of different experiences and ideas. Sometimes one of us grabs onto something and goes further; generally we dabble in 95% of things and immerse in just a few. I think being child psychology could be really interesting for a kid - it's learning about people. We also discussed someone we all know who I think has Borderline Personality Disorder, and the kids seemed interested... Rain knows about Major Depression, and Asberger's, and ODD (and my thoughts about it), and we've talked about fostering a child and what issues the child might face...

I don't think it matters so much what you're interested in, just as long as you are interested in the world around you, and you're learning and growing and sharing that with your child. There is so incredibly much out there and you'll never even touch on most of it if you learn for 100 years, and the closer you look at any area the more you realize you don't know. There are people who devote years of their lives to learning about different small gray moths that all look the same to me, and once you start getting into wing shapes and sizes and subtle color variations and differences in antenae length, well, it boggles my mind. To me, they're little gray moths...

Dar

·
Banned
3,660 Posts
I just started a rambling thread about the same thing, kinda. But I deleted mine - precisely because it was ramble! I want to unschool my dd, but sometimes I get mixed up because I feel like everyone else is teaching while claiming not to push. I'm not saying they're pushing, but I'm REALLY not pushing. And then I inevitably wonder if it's just me who thinks buying a plastic alphabet is pushing (again I'm not saying it is - that's why I'm confused!). I'm rambling again. I'm confused about some of the same things you are Kylix - and my dd gets three languages and plenty of fascinating travel, so I don't think that's the root of your confusion. I think it's hard to live in - and offer your kids - the slow lane

·
Registered
98 Posts
If your kids see you pursuing your interests that should set them on the path of pursuing thier own. They can think your interests are dullsville, because the idea isn't to get them interested in child development or whatever you're into, it's to help them find thier own passions.

For example, my Dad (who raised me) is really into cars, conservative politics and football, but he encouraged me to pursue my interests (even though I was PS'd) and I'm really into sewing, progressive politics and basketball (among a lot of other things.) My younger sister is into different stuff entirely. When you pursue your own interests and encourage your children they will find and pursue thier passions, which may differ wildly from yours or overlap nicely.

Hope that made some sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts