Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about these? He did one here in Wisconsin in support of our current governor.

I think he has every right to try and get his point across and having people see his condition and think about how he has to deal with that every day of his life is a very powerful way of making the point.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
i love them. and i love him for doing them. i think the reason people are so shocked and appauled is because they don't want to have to see it. as long as they don't know they don't have to care what stem cell research could do for so many.

·
Banned
5,619 Posts
It is what is it is. He is a man who has Parkinson's Disease. He finds it in his best interest to push for stem cell research. He would like to have politicians who also support research in stem cells. I don't see what all the fuss is about
:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
He has every right to use his freedom of speech (if that still exists) to promote his cause. God forbid the American public be exposed to some harsh realities. It is painful to see a beloved celebrity in that condition. Maybe it will make people rethink their stance on stem cell research.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
i love them. and i love him for doing them. i think the reason people are so shocked and appalled is because they don't want to have to see it. as long as they don't know they don't have to care what stem cell research could do for so many.

Yeah, that.

He's very brave to put it out there like that. I watched the interview with Katie Couric, too. He's appreciating the fact that his fame gives him the platform to do this, and that's why he's doing it.

Agreeing, it's easier to shut your eyes to it if you don't have to see.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think Michael J. Fox has the right to promote what he believes in, just as much as Patricia Heaton and others have the right to promote what they believe in. Both sides of an issue have every right to debate and use media personalities to influence voters, IMHO.

The only issue I have with this whole thing is Rush Limbaugh suggesting that Fox was acting or purposedly did not take his medicine. Wrong.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaclyn7 View Post
The only issue I have with this whole thing is Rush Limbaugh suggesting that Fox was acting or purposedly did not take his medicine. Wrong.
Uneducated too as it's the medicine which causes the tremors and side to side movements.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I love them, we are in Missouri where the ads are running. I was apalled at Limbaugh's comments, they make me sick.

FWIW, Sheryl Crow also a native Missourian and cancer survivor has been running ads in support of stem cell research as well.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I think everyone has the right to campaign for issues that he/she believes in. That's all he is doing. Rush makes me sick for so many reasons. He is cruel. I saw the video of him mocking Michael J. and it was so gross. He ought to be ashamed of himself.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaclyn7 View Post
I 100% agree with this. I cannot believe that even HE would have the gall to say something so unfeeling & heartless. I hope his listeners (if he has any left!) boycott him for that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicole lisa View Post
Uneducated too as it's the medicine which causes the tremors and side to side movements.
Really? I did not know this. I assumed that the medicine was to control the tremors, & that he had never before let himself be seen publicly without being in the most control of his body which he could feasibly be. (That is terrible sentence structure, but I can't seem to fix it.
: )

You know what, though?? Even if he HAD skipped medicine, or done something else to make his symptoms as extreme as they get, that is HIS RIGHT. HE is the one with Parkinson's disease. NO ONE else but a fellow sufferer can possibly know what he feels like.

I have never been 100% sure of where I stand on stem cell research. I hate the thought of embryos, which I personally consider to be living beings, being discarded, but from what I understand, the stem cells used in research would have been simply thrown away, right?? They are not creating life simply to experiment on it?? Correct me if I am wrong...

Michael J Fox was my first crush, I used to have his pictures plastering my walls... I loved him when I was younger, & I still love him, in a different way & for much deeper & more profound reasons. I wish for him & all Parkinson's sufferers, a cure, so that they are no longer imprisoned, a sound mind in a body they cannot control.

Rush Limbaugh should be ashamed.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
What I love about this, is that Rush Limbaugh has taken an ad that was running in one state, that the candidate was having to pay to put on the air, and caused it to be aired nationwide, and for free! Heehee! Now people are talking about stem cell research more, which right before the election, can only help the issue, and Democratic candidates who support it. Fantastic, free press, AND Rush Limbaigh and Ann Coulter look like a-holes, who could ask for more?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not arguing with what anyone has said because I commend Michael J. for his stance on this and his courage. But he did admit to skipping his meds for at least one of the interviews to actually show what the diease looks like untreated. The medication IS used to control tremors. (There are some other meds that cause them nut they are not used with Parkinson's disease). I do know from whence I speak as we have had two close family memebers with Parkinson's disease

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by libba View Post
But he did admit to skipping his meds for at least one of the interviews to actually show what the diease looks like untreated. The medication IS used to control tremors. (There are some other meds that cause them nut they are not used with Parkinson's disease).
Actually, he pretty much contradicts both those points here

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n2129702.shtml

And, backed up by the Parkinson's Disease Foundation:

http://www.pdf.org/AboutPD/symptoms.cfm

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by libba
But he did admit to skipping his meds for at least one of the interviews to actually show what the diease looks like untreated. The medication IS used to control tremors. (There are some other meds that cause them nut they are not used with Parkinson's disease).
Actually, he pretty much contradicts both those points here

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n2129702.shtml

And, backed up by the Parkinson's Disease Foundation:

http://www.pdf.org/AboutPD/symptoms.cfm
Thanks for your post here CorasMama. I was just looking for the links when I saw your post!

Take Care,
Erika
:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.