Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone read the book?

The book says one should eat at least 20 gr of protein( preferably from animal sources) 3 times a day to stay happy. It also says wheat and its cousins are bad foods. Then it goes on to say that our grandparents where much happier because of how they ate.

ooops.

My grandparents ate meat once a week and vegetables and potatoes or bread the other days.A whole lot of grain for sure! Or did americans in the 30's eat differently?
:

I am confused and don't know what to believe anymore.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I Hav the Diet Cure. I think that what she may have meant is that if you ae gluten-intolerant (she is and believes that many people are) that wheat will do bad things to you.

The grandparent thing maybe that older generations where not afriad to eat meat, eggs, fat ect and were better off for it.

HTH
Jen

·
Registered
984 Posts
There have probably always been people with various food sensitivities/allergies/intolerances, but in the past their symptoms weren't attributed to their diets. Maybe they died of unknown causes, maybe they were "sickly". Also, the diets of the past were not nearly as varied as they are now, and of course we have gmos and more pesticides and all that. So there just wasn't the same incidence of exposure.

I think as far as the meat thing goes, it's kind of a generalization to say all people need to eat animal foods to be happy. For one thing, there are a lot of factors that contribute to a persons sense of emotional well being - diet is just one of them. Then, there are people like me - I don't eat meat and I'm generally in a good mood, no depression. But maybe there are people who do need to have meat - there are definitely people who believe they are healthier eating an omni diet than a veg*n one.

I wouldn't put stock in any one, single philosophy or book - better to get info from different sources and figure out what makes sense to you personally. I do think the stress we can sometimes create over food detracts from our health. If you feel bad a lot then it is certainly worth looking at your diet carefully, but what applies to one person might not apply to you.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
This flies in the face of scientific research for health and longevity- might want to check out Robbins' books and Weil's books. I've found them to be the most forthright, realistic, scientifically-based, and generally least 'fringe', ultimately making the most sense.

ITA with pp to look into a lot of sources and find what works best for you.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by huggerwocky View Post
SDo why are people all of a sudden intolerant to Gluten and not 70 years ago ?
One of the arguments is that the allergies and sensitivities are due to over-exposure of the grain. This could explain in part why it's getting worse. I used to react to corn but after not eating it for about three years, I can have some corn chips and not react.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.