Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having such a hard time these days with my moods. Everyone and everything at work just peeves me right off. I feel short tempered and edgy with clients and even with coworkers and my boss. I am trying to remind myself that this is hormonal and that I need to curb it - they don't deserve my negative emotion but it's prooving hard, ladies.

I can deal with it at home because my dh is both understanding and sweet - it's not an issue and one that is easily talked out.

It's the 8+ hours I put in at work a day that I'm finding it hard to deal with. I find myself sniping at people accidentally and then feeling crappy about it.

Am I alone? Any tips or tricks for dealing with this emotional rollercoaster in a professional business setting? I burst into tears in the bathroom today for no reason other than email hadn't been returned.
:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have no advice, but you are certainly not alone! I'm right there in your boat! Today I was just bawling over everything. You name it, I cried. Its hard, but it will get easier. Just realize that we are all dealing with this right along with you....Once you know something is normal and others are experiencing it, that somehow makes it a bit easier. (((HUGS)))

·
Registered
925 Posts
I could have written your post! I am a bear at work! I have told my immediate co-workers so they are all understanding.

I finally had to tell my boss yesterday, I was so short with him I was on the verge of getting in trouble! Thank goodness he has young children and was very understanding. I felt a lot better, even though I embarrassed him by crying in his office.

Advice? Hmm... Maybe tell your boss, ask him to keep it confidential? Let phone calls go to voicemail and answer them when you are feeling better in the day? Take breaks when you need to. Maybe go outside for some fresh air once in awhile.

Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Have you considered a nutritional impact? I know it's hormonal but some things can affect hormones. For example, I know vitamin b6 is supposed to do wonders for PMS (a hormonal thing). I've been taking b6 for morning sickness. It's working for that and I've also been fairly level hormonally. Not to say I don't get weepy at certain songs or have my moments; but it does seem to be less than what many go through. Just a thought.

You are certainly not alone!!!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I found nibbling all day on things like granola, cheese & crackers, etc helps me with my moods a lot. I'm really prone to low blood sugar right now and with that comes crabby moods, surly feelings and general snapping and sniping.

I took someone's advice from the Dec 2005 DDC and cut out a lot of the "simple" sugars like juice, dried fruit and sugary snacks and it really helped a lot. Maybe it'll help you. Instead of juice all the time, I'm drinking more milk, eating more yoghurt and focussing more on nuts than fruits for snacking.

But also, sometimes I just have been really emotional. Work's been utter crap lately. And it's been really stressful. Which makes me cry right now. Lord is that embarassing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you ladies - it's nice to know I am NOT alone and you all have fabulous advice too!

Beach and Because - All I want to eat these days is fruit so maybe I should start cutting back on that and the simple sugars and up on the proteins, nuts and seeds and get that B6 in too. I'm loving popcorn, maybe I'll throw some engevita on it.

Getz - I told my boss last week. I was SO nervous for whatever reason but he has been nothing short of amazing. So supportive and so sweet. I took your advice and took some walks around the area today when I was starting to feel aggressive. Good idea in the sunshine.

Willowrose - Thanks for your words, the crying is crazy eh? I was cruising for doulas and even THAT made me crime. There is no rhyme or reason!

I like this community.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I completely understand what you mean. I had a very uncomfortable talk with a woman here at work. I knew I was being overly emotional but I couldn't stop myself and she wouldn't drop the issue. She wanted us to come to an understanding and I just wanted her to shut up
. But I have really worked on not being that way at work since then because I just felt like an idiot afterwards. I second the B6. I started taking it about a year ago for pms and have continued and it does help. The other thing that has done wonders for me is exercise so if you can and aren't already, I highly suggest regular exercise. I know when I have gone to long because I start to fall apart emotionally. And lastly the sun. I live in MN and its been a rainy couple of months but the sun is out now and getting myself out there helps my spirit. Sometimes its hard but I force myself to get out there and once I do I feel so much better. Oh yeah and eat regularly

Micky

1 - 9 of 9 Posts