Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 yo has NEVER had a problem taking naps...until the past couple days.

I've been trying sooo hard to be gentle with him: taking him by the hand and leading him back to bed, kindly saying, "It's time to lay down," but my patience level is quickly waning because all he's doing is screaming at me the whole time:

"NO, I DO IT!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Then when I get him in there, he gets out of bed and hits the door while screaming some more. I'm trying to ignore the screaming.

With my 2 mo. ds and my 5 yo. non-napper, it's hard to focus any energy to this sudden change in routine.

HELP.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Maybe he just doesn't need a nap? Perhaps make it a rest time, instead... where he can sit and do focus play. Get out some water colors, a coloring book, a new set of cars or something and suggest that if he does not want to sleep he still needs to spend some rest time alone... and leave the door open until he is comfortable. My 3 year old son never naps. He just has no interest and simply is not tired. Trying to force a nap WOULD be hell... I can just see him responding the same way that your child does. There is about 2 hours in the middle of the day, however, where he is guided into some quiet, focused alone play time that is restful... and I can clean, sit on the computer, wash the dog, etc.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Sometimes what works for me is to say, let's just lie down (and nurse or read) for a while, then we'll get back up if you want. Once, we get there, he usually wants to stay. But the key is that he feels that he has a choice. He doesn't always nap and we just have to deal with him being tired.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts