Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
It reads "The National Education Association believes that home schooling programs based on parental choice cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience. When home schooling occurs, students enrolled must meet all state curricular requirements, including the taking and passing of assessments to ensure adequate academic progress. Home schooling should be limited to the children of the immediate family, with all expenses being borne by the parents/guardians. Instruction should be by persons who are licensed by the appropriate state education licensure agency, and a curriculum approved by the state department of education should be used....
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/hom...nea-philosophy

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The means about as much to me as ACOG's opinion on home birth.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
That's not new news. They've made their opinion of homeschooling well known for a long time.

I agree, just like the ACOG not liking homebirth. Not any different than the medical establishment speaking out against non-vaxers.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
They've had that thing up for ages - I vaguely remember when it went up quite a few years ago. And that's the attitude in the background behind most of the public school charters - but that's a whole different conversation.

But, let's face it, we have a lot of not so supportive comments about schools all over the place too
- Lillian

·
Registered
371 Posts
Their position is annoying, but not surprising at all. NEA's first and foremost a teacher's union. Their primary concern is not children or education... it is protecting teacher's jobs. It is in their best interest to make the whole teaching/learning process seem difficult/complex/best attempted by "trained professionals." That helps them with lobbying for increased benefits and salaries for teachers. Also having children (basicially their "customers") leaving in droves isn't good for business and job security. (I say all this as a former member of the NEA!
)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by b&c'smama View Post
Their position is annoying, but not surprising at all. NEA's first and foremost a teacher's union. Their primary concern is not children or education... it is protecting teacher's jobs. It is in their best interest to make the whole teaching/learning process seem difficult/complex/best attempted by "trained professionals." That helps them with lobbying for increased benefits and salaries for teachers. Also having children (basicially their "customers") leaving in droves isn't good for business and job security. (I say all this as a former member of the NEA!
)
:
My thoughts exactly. Schools are their livelihood. Where would they be if more and more parents decided to homeschool? And it's hard for teachers to comprehend that homeschoolers can teach their own kids better than they can - without education degrees and certification and licenses and using ridiculous assessment tests.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cathy, you are so right!! I still think it's annoying they sprew such ignorance though. But yeah it would be bad for them if they lost their customers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
our newspaper quote from that exact passage at least once a year or so. They have an article that starts out postive and then gets progressively full of homeschool "concerns", including what the superintendant of schools thinks (which is really just that NEA thing quoted verbatim). Blech.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.