Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was annoying already, and now I'm reading Reviving Ophelia by Mary Pipher. I swear the next person who comments on what a "princess" my DD is is going to get a piece of my mind, whether it's an anonymous person in the airport or my stepsister!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I just wish there was a way to get my 3.75 year old to stop it.
:

At least she will swoop in with her necklaces, rings, feather boa (fake), dress-up shoes, and crown saying, "Princess Katie to save the day!" She doesn't really play helpless all that much, although, sometimes, her and her daddy will take turns "saving" the other. It's pretty cute.

Bec

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I guess I have a problem with all the baggage that comes with the whole princess ideal. That they wear only beautiful clothes that are difficult to move around in. Their sole purpose is to be marriage bait, and are waiting for their Prince Charming to rescue them from the high tower. I guess I could call it the Disney Phenomenon.

Thankfully, my dd only associates it with dressing up. She will put jewelry on her father and call him Princess Daddy. And I already discussed how she is more often than not the one doing the rescuing. It's just something that I want to keep a close eye on. I don't want her to ever feel like she is helpless and worthwhile only because of her looks, or clothes, or money.

In a nutshell, that's it.

Bec

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
ahhh, yes, ok...i grew up reading things like "The Practical Princess" and "Free to be you and me" so i never really had that conception of princesses. of course i am familiar with it now LMAO but my parents were pretty good about creating a *good* version of the princess concept for me.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bec
I guess I have a problem with all the baggage that comes with the whole princess ideal. That they wear only beautiful clothes that are difficult to move around in. Their sole purpose is to be marriage bait, and are waiting for their Prince Charming to rescue them from the high tower. I guess I could call it the Disney Phenomenon. <snip> I don't want her to ever feel like she is helpless and worthwhile only because of her looks, or clothes, or money.
<snip>
She needs The Paper Bag Princess in her bookshelf. I forget the author, but I love the book. Short version: Prince & princess to be married, dragon busts everything up and kidnaps PRINCE. Princess defeats dragon and saves prince. Prince comments on her not looking like a princess (duh! she just saved him from a dragon, dunderhead!). Princess tells him that he might look like a prince but he's "a bum" (quoting from memory, so don't quote me). They don't get married, and the princess dances her way into the sunset alone (and happy).

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Have you ever watched the movie The Little Princess, or read the book? It is such a sweet and sad story. But what sticks out in my mind is that the main characters daddy tells her that all girls are princesses. It is just really nice and the story sheds a whole different light on the princess thing.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Iris, that's such a good reccomendation! I was a 'princess' as a little girl, and that was my favorite book of all time. I think that the real 'lesson' of The Little Princess is that being a princess isn't about what you have or how you look, but how you behave. It's probably more for school aged kids than really little ones, though.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishmommy
The Paper Bag Princess is by Robert Munsch.

Awesome book, my SIL gave this to my daughter when she was five.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.