Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this is my first time doing this sort of thing so please help if you think I need it!

That said, I would like to set it up as something similar to the One Thread. After each KAL project has been completed someone else will take over for the next project. That way we keep the patterns unique. I'm more than happy to be "threadkeeper" for the first couple projects until we get into the flow of things.

This first project will be a sock KAL. I'm doing Thuja from knitty. Since everyone here is at different experience levels and know what will work for them you are more than welcome to use your own pattern. I figure there will be some patterns that we all use the same one just different sizing you know?

Anytime we do something gender specific I would like to have one option for a boy and one for a girl. Say we do a top. I don't think a little boy would look as great in Katja as a girl.
When that is the case we'll do a vote on the patterns. Majority wins.

After each project is finished the NEW threadkeeper will be responsible for finding out what everyone wants to do next, find some patterns, post them, take a tally, and make the final decision on the pattern(s).

I'm not sure if we should do a time frame on projects. What do you all think?

Once done with your project I'd like you to come and post a picture, some thoughts on your pattern, and a link to it (so others can use it
).

I think that's about it. Like I said this is my first rodeo so if anything is missing or you have questions/concerns post them! I'd like to get this all figured out so we can start the socks here in the next day or two!

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I'm ready! I will be making a pair of socks from the book Sensational Knitted Socks. I'm not sure which pair yet. I plan to use Magic loop to knit both socks at once.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lovely! I figure based off of the replies tonight and in the morning we'll start either tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning. Sound good?

So does everything else about the general details seem ok?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I'm in. I started a pair of socks . . . oh . . . two years ago, I think, for dh, and just never got around to finishing them. I think I've done about 5 rows so far of K1P1 ribbing
:
I'll also be doing 2 at once on one circ . . . I'll try and get around to taking pics of how I do it and post them. I might frog my measly 5 rows so I can take pics of how I cast them on and start them.
Not sure what I'll do for a pattern . . . might just wing it.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I was going to start something like this on the Blog ring soon but I'm glad you did it first! However, I would like to suggest that people who are members (or who aren't but want to be) can post about their KAL projects on the MDC Knit Ring website. When we had about 50 members, I invited everyone to join the blog as posting members. About 30 did. I can send out a new invite to all the newer members (and to people who are just on the MDC KAL thread) so that they can post via Blogger photos, etc. if they want to.

What do you think about it?

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that's a good idea! Maybe that and a check in on the KAL thread every now and then? I think if we post progress on the blogs and keep questions/help!'s on the thread that would work well. What do you think about that?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
OK, I'm in for the sock KAL! I'm going to be making these for my ds.

This will be my first pair of socks and I'm starting them while we are up in the Adirondaks. We leave tomorrow and will be gone through Sunday, and I will have NO internet access for help! Can anyone recommend some good sites for explaining the sock process that maybe has info I can print out and bring with me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
See now, I was happy because it would be a KAL here not on the blogs. I simply do not have time to blog...(I will try to remedy that while on vacation at my mom's, but we'll see). Plus, doesn't it take time to get added to the blog ring.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking about this alst night as well. Some mama's only post here. They don't go anywhere else. I know when the search function was gone I automatically clicked here and then got offline.

I'd like to keep the KAL here for now. If you do decide to post progress on your blog as opposed to here you need to post a link. However, I think KAL business should be done here. Maybe we can revisit it in a little bit after we get into the flow of things?

What do you all think?

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok it can be either way...if you want to update on your blog go for it, you want to update here go for it! I only ask that if you do on your blog please come here and post a link so others can peek at it.

I have been busy today and will continue to be busy tomorrow (we're moving) but I don't want that to put a halt to it all. So as of tomorrow the sock along is officially begun! I'll post a thread tonight for it just so it's up there. I start packing my house tomorrow. Since we are computer geeks and everything here is based off our Internet (Vonage) computers will be packed last. I will try to check in but I'm not promising anything.
I get to my in-laws on Friday and will have a connection there at which I will check back in to see what everyone is up to! I'd like for everyone to go post a little something since this is our first KAL. Just about your pattern and what not. I can't wait! Sock knitting...perfect for 800 miles!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.