Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as stated by 10yo ds today.

oh, yeah, i made my mind up. he aint going back for 5th grade, or any other grade, ever! so here i am.
:

i went to a horrible "HS seminar" last week. turned out to be a sales pitch for a group who owns a curriculum store. they are adding a "switched-on schoolhouse" school to their establishment, and casually added at the end, "you can do this from home too. and we sell computers full loaded with the curriculum for the low low price of..."

and the woman kept saying "curric-lee-um". took 2 seconds to decide these ppl would have no part in my kids education.

my xmil gave ds some rocks and minerals from a museum she just visited. i tried to encourage him to identify them online, but he was bored with it. i keep looking for things that he might show some interest in so i can direct him to maybe learn more. its not working yet. a year to deschool, huh? its gonna be a loooong year.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, i know my son doesnt hate to learn. he was expressing his frustration with school. i can see how much he likes to learn when he finds an interest and delves in more deeply to the subject. i try to be alert to see a new interest and guide him to resources to find more info. this is getting to be much easier since i pretty much decided on the us'ing route. right now he's not too into anything in particular. but if i see a spark, i'll try to help him make it grow into something.

·
Registered
527 Posts
How long has your son been out of school? We just finished our first year homeschooling and it has taken longer than I expected it would for him to move out of school mode and learn to enjoy "learning" again. It can take a bit of time to deschool but I think it has been worth the wait! In September when we first began our learning at home, ds viewed ANY activity that I planned for him as a form of punishment and got NOTHING out of it. After a number of months of doing his own thing, focusing on making friends and enjoying himself he is starting to be interested in lots of different things again - some that he hasn't been into since before he began school in the first place!

I guess I'd just suggest to sit tight and wait... it can be hard to see your child turn down an opportunity to delve into something interesting but your ds has hiw whole life ahead of him to do this... just keep providing opportunities for him and he will eventually be ready to move beyond learning only at school.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedwithboys
i went to a horrible "HS seminar" last week. turned out to be a sales pitch for a group who owns a curriculum store. they are adding a "switched-on schoolhouse" school to their establishment, and casually added at the end, "you can do this from home too. and we sell computers full loaded with the curriculum for the low low price of..."
That reminded me about the time I went up to a booth at a homeschool conference to see for myself one of those awful "full curriculum" CD programs that people were spamming homeschooling discussion boards with. You were supposed to be able to run your kids through all the grades with that one program - ignoring the fact that technology moves so fast that it would be severly outdated within a couple of years even if it were a good idea to make your kids sit at a computer for hours a day to cover everything they supposedly needed to learn. It was so truly awful that I had to lock my mouth into a great big grin in order to not burst out laughing at the man who was demonstrating it to me.
He thought I was pretty weird, I'm sure...

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
I understand the need to deschool more right now that I ever have. My kids have never been to school, so has never been an issue for us. My next door neighbor's little girl (who is 9 and going into 4th grade) has been spending tons of time with us the last couple of weeks and she is driving me crazy because she doesn't want to do anything -- she is convenced that she might learn something or have to use her brain so she refuses to participate in fun things that we are doing just because they are fun.

Both parents work and are having child care problems this week so I'm helping out. It is much harder than I thought it would be. We aren't trying to "do school" this summer, so I thought she could just join in the fun things we are doing, but it isn't working out that way. She didn't even want to hear me read from Hank, the Cowdog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts