Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in CA and getting the kids ready for school (year round school). My kids' district has opted to disallow waivers for the 2015-2016 year even ahead of the law. My kids are up to date on their shots, but we misplaced one of their shot records. We have moved a lot over the years, one of my kids went to 4 different elementary schools, so it isn't just a matter of contacting their doctor to get a print out. So, she was enrolled in her last school with a waiver. It was much easier than enrolling my other kids who are fully vaccinated because each record is scrutinized and signed off by the nurse, and that has always been a major hassle since some of them were not vaccinated according to schedule.

I contacted my insurance company, who supposedly keeps electronic records, for a list of the shots we were missing. They could only find a record of a few of them. Luckily, we were able to find a copy of her earlier shots in one of her school records, so my daughter is fine.

But this got me thinking, for people who move a lot, or people who have had various health insurances, or used free clinics, maybe they have a dubious immigration status, etc, how are they supposed to comply with this law? Even if their kids are fully up to date on the shots, since there is no nationwide vaccine registry for people to access, what are parents going to do if they can't find the paper record, and no one else has a copy?

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
I keep all of our important things in one spot. I imagine people will have to keep up with them as they do birth certificates and social security cards. It would definitely suck to be in that position. :/

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
I have a fireproof safe in my living room with all of my important papers and an external hard drive with our family pictures and stuff like that on it. Besides my lease and divorce decree I also have a legal sized envelope for each person in the household. In each envelope is each person's birth certificate, social security card and vaccination records. I would recommend everyone to do that whether you are in school or not. You never know at what point do you might need something important. Plus if we had an emergency I could just grab the whole safe and throw it in the car.

Eta: All that to say, if it is important people will keep up with it. It will probably take a little while for people to get used to the fact that vaccination records are one of those important documents but they are.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Wait. Back up to July. Public schools have to follow the law! (Private schools, too, actually). And the current law is very clear that:
(a) Immunization of a person shall not be required for admission to a school or other institution listed in Section 120335 if the parent or guardian or adult who has assumed responsibility for his or her care and custody in the case of a minor, or the person seeking admission if an emancipated minor, files with the governing authority a letter or affidavit that documents which immunizations required by Section 120355 have been given and which immunizations have not been given on the basis that they are contrary to his or her beliefs.
They can't just decide not to accept a personal belief exemption form!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts