Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about the military and college education in another thread, and it got me thinking...

As many of you know, the House will be voting this month on two proposals that will cut at least 9 billion dollars of student financial funding from our country's colleges and universities.
I've been wondering why the heck anyone would do this? Do we not want Aamerican kids to be educated?
But then I had a thought: if more poor kids can't afford college, them more will sign up with military in order to get an education...thus filling the military deficit that we now.

Ok,,,that might be a little too "conspiricy theory," I know. But I'm wondering why the heck they would deal a blow like this to so many students. Does anyone else have any ideas about why they are trying to do this?

A small article on the financial aid cuts: http://www.insidebayarea.com/trivall...ews/ci_3171121

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Well come on! Kids wouldn't need free money from the taxpayers for college if the parents would just save. Why should we have to foot the bill for every luxury?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If financial aid is cut then more people have to borrow. This administration likes debt remember. I bet they would approve of my sizeable debt. Over half of it is my student loans!! Not including the house.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamillet
If financial aid is cut then more people have to borrow. This administration likes debt remember. I bet they would approve of my sizeable debt. Over half of it is my student loans!! Not including the house.

That's what they mean by "ownership society". You own the debt and they own you.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
Well come on! Kids wouldn't need free money from the taxpayers for college if the parents would just save. Why should we have to foot the bill for every luxury?
I know you are being sarcastic....but seirously my parents did that. And if 50% of parents did that, our economy would be in big trouble! My parents (mom was SAH) do not have a huge house, never new cars, cheap appliances, no vacations, no cable, and PB&J for work lunches. Got 3 kids through college.

Cutting the funds seems like its just another way to keep the rich of this country rich. I mean, we do have to keep the poor people around for the booming "service job" economy, and we wouldn't want to keep a trustfund baby out of his 6 figure job?

And is it just me, or does the news keep on becoming more and more unbelivable lately? Im really glad you guys posted this, I would have never seen it...I guess we are going to have to come up with "additional funds" to keep sending DH to grad school.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.