Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>yup.  totally my fault.  completely. </p>
<p>now it is funny to run in the opposite direction when i say "come here," "give that floor food to mommy" or "we don't eat acorns!"</p>
<p>it has become a game.. how can i change this?  help! </p>

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
<p>My daughter does this - especially did this outside.  You might just have to physically help him do what you need him to do, which is stay next to you.  That meant she had to hold my hand or ride on my back if we were walking until I knew she wouldn't run away.  Indoors, I usually don't even ask her if she wants to come to me.  I just go get her and tell her, "Hey, we're changing your diaper now."  I count out loud so she can know when we'll be done and that seems to help.</p>

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
<p>Well, with the acorns, let her taste one, and then you can use "that'll taste bad like acorns" to keep her from biting into other stuff. Unless they get boiled, acorns are NASTY bitter.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>What we've done, is have one command that means stop instantly, "HOLD!" always said in a firm voice and followed up with physically stopping her (started by giving the command when standing right there) She's still not 100% with it, but will at least pause a bit which gives me time to close the gap.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Then things like "stop! wait for me!" and so forth are less serious and more of an indicator that I'd like her to slow down. When it doesn't really matter, like moving through the library.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Then for chasing we say things like "I'm going to get you!" "Oh no! You're too fast!"</p>

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>sapphire clan, acorns must not taste bad to baby humans... she doesn't really eat them, and she likes to feed them to the goats.  i am not entirely sure she's not just teasing me by putting them in her mouth.</p>
<p>the "HOLD" thing sounds like something i need to try.  it's kind of like the bell and "freeze" in montessori..</p>
<p>but this is one of those things where it's not dire that she stop, it's just.. man, she's a monkey.  she doesn't run away with exceptionally dangerous things, but stuff that she most likely ought not to be running away with, like sticks, or daddy's wallet... or to wipe oatmeal off her hands.</p>

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
<p>Ah, gotcha. Finding a balance in response to stuff that isn't "right" but isn't horribly "wrong" either. In that case, I'll be watching this thread. Because my current response is to ask for whatever again and again and again until I'm either annoyed or feel things are unsafe, and then just take it away, and I know there's a better way to handle things.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>With her dad's stuff, at least, I've been having a bit of luck with asking her to put it on his desk. And with stuff in stores, I can often get her to hand it to "the nice man/woman" if an employee comes up. (She wouldn't give the dowel to me, oh no, but big smile and "here you go!" for the stranger in a vest.)</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts