Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is driving me nuts. dd is 19 months old, and recently has started just screaming and shrieking. I'm assuming it's some kind of phase, but wow, it's annoying. Do you ignore it and just hope she stops? Address it (as in, asking dd to use a quieter voice and modeling this)? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
602 Posts
my 4 yr old just started this, drives me insane, I tried ignoring it but he screams louder i just have to tell him to use his inside voice and that seems to help, good luck mama!

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
I was just coming on here to post this same topic. My DS is 13 months and every time he screams (which is a lot) it makes my blood boil and takes everything in me not to scream back. Please tell us they will grow out of it!! And soon!
:

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Darn...I was hoping for some magical solution.
I have a screamer too...I thought I had a screamer about 4 mos ago....but that was SO just the beginning!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
We HAD a screamer ( a fun playing scream not a needing, wanting or hurt scream), I was going nuts with the noise and came to the conclusion he didn't "get" what I was saying.
: So I started screaming with him (in a fun game like way) now it only happens when we play the scream game, It has worked like a charm
Plus I think he now knows what I mean when I say "that hurts mommies ears"

·
Banned
972 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlemama77
is driving me nuts. dd is 19 months old, and recently has started just screaming and shrieking. I'm assuming it's some kind of phase, but wow, it's annoying. Do you ignore it and just hope she stops? Address it (as in, asking dd to use a quieter voice and modeling this)? Any advice is appreciated.
Coincidences, coincidences! I have a 19 month old who I was going to name "Reese"! (Her dad named her Dharma instead.) And guess what her new thing is? Shrieking when she has a tantrum. I think she's hitting the "Two" stage early. Is this what you are finding, Turtlemama? She's particularly prone to do it if she can't have what she wants, or she can't be with me.

Faith

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know, most of the time she shrieks just because. It's like her normal "talking" sounds, but in a shriek instead of in a regular voice. dh has started asking her to talk in a nice voice, which stops her from the screaming for a moment, but I kind of think it stops her because she's trying to figure out what he means! Crazy. Her tantrums are more of a wailing.

Maybe I'll try the screaming game, or do some screaming with her outside (so she doesn't scare her baby brother...which could be why the screaming started in the first place...).

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Yes- the shreiking is a phase. It seems to peak around 18 months and decreases dramatically when they start saying words and communicating. This, too, shall pass. There is not much you can do, as you can't really explain why shreiking is unacceptable to a baby under 2 and more importantly, they are shreiking as their only form of communication (as annoying as it is!). Sorry- I wish I had a better answer... but it will stop...

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
No advice. My 18 month old is a shrieker. Much to my dismay, my 2.5 year old thinks is extremely funny. He'll shriek back, and they'll crack up. The louder they get, they harder they laugh. *sigh*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts