Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rain's college class figured out this morning that Rain was 14. She feels a bit like a freak show now, although at least one person told her it was cool and another told her she was very poised and together for a 14 year old. They were doing a Hamlet speech today and he asked them to line up form youngest to oldest, to determine who went first, and some 18 year old boy tried to convince her that he was younger than she was... and saying, "No, trust me, I'm younger" wasn't working. The teacher came around and asked for their birthdates, and she gave the date... and then he asked for the year... and she said "1993" and the whole line fanned around to stare at her.

So. The professor seems okay with it - surprised, but okay. She really wanted to be treated like a regular college student, and we're hoping that the professor at least will continue to treat her the way he's been treating her. It's been a really good experience for her - small class, she's learning a lot, and the professor knows his stuff, even though he's not very good at communicating his expectations. Well, at least his syllabus and emails don't convey them clearly - I don't know how he is in class. It could be that Rain isn't very adept at understanding the instructions he gives in class, either, because she's sometimes confused about exactly what she has to do and when she has to do it by. That's minor, though - all in all it's going well, and I hope that doesn't change.

Dar

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
I wonder why he had them go by age? Are most the students "college aged" and wouldn't care? I took most of my classes at a urban school and there were a lot of returning students who wouldn't have wanted to say their age!

Is she enjoying the class?

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
Good for her mama.
My daughter went through that exact thing when she had her first college class at 14. I remember at first she felt a little nervous anticipation after everyone discovered how old she was, but things settled in fine and the other students thought she was cool. And of course, we know that THAT is what matters most.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's great. She must really seem mature if an 18yo swore he was younger and the teacher couldn't tell either.

My experience wasn't so great. I was 16 in a Entrepreneurial class divided into groups and when my group found out I was 16, the work I was in charge of was also done by an older woman behind my back...just in case I didn't do it by the deadline.
:

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
I wonder why he had them go by age? Are most the students "college aged" and wouldn't care? I took most of my classes at a urban school and there were a lot of returning students who wouldn't have wanted to say their age!

Is she enjoying the class?
I think it was just a way to decide who goes first semi-randomly... I guess they've lined up by other things before. There were actually only 3 18-year-olds, and the oldest guy was twenty years older than Rain... but it's a threatre class for theatre majors, so no one is really shy about anything, you know?

And yes, she is enjoying it, and learning a lot, both about college and theatre and Shakespeare. He's a really good professor, I think, except for his vagueness about expectations...

Dar

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
I can remember having to line up by age more than once in college, and by hieght as well. I always ended up on one end of the line or the other, except when we went alphabetically.

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
It sounds like it went pretty well! I hope they continue to treat her well now that they know. It sounds like she's really enjoying it.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar View Post
I think it was just a way to decide who goes first semi-randomly... I guess they've lined up by other things before. There were actually only 3 18-year-olds, and the oldest guy was twenty years older than Rain... but it's a threatre class for theatre majors, so no one is really shy about anything, you know?

And yes, she is enjoying it, and learning a lot, both about college and theatre and Shakespeare. He's a really good professor, I think, except for his vagueness about expectations...

Dar
That is so wonderfully wonderful. Good for Rain.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
ugh I'm sorry she was outed. She should have just agreed
...you know based on maturity
:

When I was home schooled I volunteered at the college here and was in an entomology lab with another student who was an intern...he kept asking what year I was ( boy he was cute
) I just said sophomore..but he wanted to know if I was a grad student or undergrad
I didn't know what that was...so I said high school
...he said "wow I had NO idea, your so smart "...but he never talked to me again

Ahhh good times!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.