Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend gave me a head of lettuce that came from her garden this morning.. I am thrilled! I have never tried to grow anything and neither has anyone in my family. I got really excited and I started thinking I want to learn to do this!! It would be awesome for the kids too!

So, I just cut up the lettuce, rinsed it off in the sink, put it in a bowl.... then I saw the slug.
Geez, why did I have to see the slug?!

Now, I know there are bugs, especially, Im sure on garden stuff. I am having a hard time now. The lettuce is just sitting in the bowl here, I want to eat it, I want to just get over it.

So if your growing your own food how do you keep the bugs away? Is just a quick rinse under the sink okay? Can you tell Im from the city? :LOL

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
:LOL

Just re-wash the lettuce to save your sanity if you wish. You can do a water/vinegar rinse to get rid of bugs as well. Just fill your sink with cold water and add a little vinegar, swish around, drain, and rinse in a colandar. Use a salad spinner to remove the excess water if you have one, or put it on a dish towel to dry a bit. I'm sure most produce you eat has had a bug or two crawling on it at one point or another!
Just think....a crawling slug is MUCH less harmful than all the nasty pesticides that are on commercial produce!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
:LOL I know exactly how you feel. I'm in the garden all the time, but whenever a spider or a slug actually *touches* my skin, I flinch. Just listen to your rational side that's telling you how silly that is! I'd probably re-rinse the lettuce to make myself feel better. Then slip the "sluggy" leaf into someone else's bowl.
: Actually, the last slug I brought into the house (on rhubarb) I saved to show dd. She loved him ("You can pet the slug. He is very nice to you.")

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
i have found bugs on store bought produce many times, i happen to love insects and bugs and at one point in my life thought about becoming an entymologist, then i realized i would have to kill them and disect them and out went that idea, so for me finding one on lettuce is like wow thats soo cool, but i totaly get being grossed out and stuff, i just wanted to say i have found them in the grocery store many times, so don't be to fazed, just do what others said and rinse it off

if you do decide to garden and slugs and things really bother you a lot, you can try growing things that they don't like as much, also you could try using netting and copper tape and things to keep themm off the plants, tho many insects are benefician and for some stuff are needed to polinate the plants, though you can hand polinate plants wich is a really good thing to do if you want to save your own seeds, if it is slugs and snails specifically and other bugs bother you less, then i would recomend you do not grow nastursiums, or leafy greans, or strawberries, tho i have heard if strawberries are grown in a dry sandy enviroment with lots of space the slugs are less of a problem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.