Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, it's my spice rack. Even if the spices are strewn around the kitchen, it usually takes me five minutes, tops, to wipe down everything and have it all back in alphabetical order.

I do this, and say, "Aah, this is how I want the rest of the house to feel." It's both soothing and motivating.

Another good one is the bathroom. I think my bathroom is actually cleaner since I've had kids, because while they are in the tub, I clean the bathroom. I try to do a swish n swipe every morning, a la Flylady, but while they are in the tub, I wipe baseboards, clean electric toothbrushes, organize shelves, etc. The only thing I have to make time for is cleaning the tub itself, and half the time I do that while I'm in the shower. (One more reason why using baking soda and microfiber towels is better than Scrubbing Bubbles.) I can go into the clean, tidy, fresh smelling bathroom and think, "See this didn't take much time or effort. What's stopping you elsewhere?"

Anybody else have a spot like this in their house? Honestly, I'm trying to get as many as I can... seems like the more motivation I can get the better, yk?

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
The kitchen! I love clean counters and will be motivated to expand the cleaning from there. The family room/kitchen/breakfast nook are all open plan so those areas naturally need to be cleaned at the same time, and because I do 15 minute pick ups at least 3 times a day they usually look good.

I wish I was as motivated as you with the bathroom. The grout in the shower is so black I need to actually re grout. I have all the equipment to do it but just can't get motivated to start. Partly because we are still painting, but mostly because that one shower gets used by 3 people on a daily basis. I would need to get up, get showered and as soon as my older two are off to school I would have to start removing the old grout etc. The whole job would have to be done and dried ready for use by 7pm the same evening.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I was just noticing yesterday that I tend to start in the kitchen for "wet" cleaning (as in before bathrooms or before foyer for floors) and for vacuuming the downstairs. I tend to start in the master bedroom for the upstairs. Both the kitchen and master are in what I consider the "back" of the house and I move forward.

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
actually . . . my living room! sounds crazy, but it's really easy, because almost nothing belongs in there. even if it's completely wrecked (like last week when we had all been sick), it doesn't take that long to get all the laundry, dishes, trash, toys, etc out. then just straighten things and sweep the floor, and it's done!

the dining room is the same way, but i don't get as much satisfaction. maybe because it doesn't get as messy? it always looks pretty nice, so wiping down the table and sweeping the floor is like . . . eh, whatever. but the living room. yeah. totally! having an easy-to-clean starting point is good motivation for the rest of the house. i can only dream of having a kitchen or a library (as we call our den) with only what belongs there and no extra, weird, i-don't-know-where-to-put-this crap in it!

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
I have a couple of jump-off points: the bookcase right by the front door (that spot sort of sets the tone for the living room and is a dumping spot so I really try to keep up with that), the bathroom counter and mirror (because those are quick fixes and make a big difference----I can also hand those off to a kid and they can do a really great job), my dresser top in my bedroom (another set the tone spot, also I keep a lot of my pretties there so it's very satisfying to see my fav boxes and perfumes displayed there).

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Mine would also be the kitchen. If the sink is empty, counters clear and wiped down, kitchen table emtpy, etc., I feel like the rest of the house can be easily cleaned. Well, not really easily, but it motivates me to get everthing picked up, put away, organized and such.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have set days for cleaning each room, but for the day-to-day maintenance stuff I usually hit the front porch (shoes never seem to make it to the shoe racks they are suppossed to be on!) and then the kitchen counters, to clear the art that my kids seem to make + multiply every day, then deposit on the ktichen counter, LOL!

·
Registered
855 Posts
The couch in the living room.

Multiple times daily, it becomes a dumping ground for all of DS's toys and abandoned plates/cups etc. he also likes to pull all the cushions off and throw them all over the room. Since we live in such a small apartment, the couch is immediately visible as soon as you walk in the door, and from pretty much wherever you are standing unless you're in the toilet. It's usually fairly quick to tidy up, and makes a big visual difference.

After the couch, I'd say making the bed in the master bedroom, and clearing off the top of the change table (become a dumping ground for half-worn clothes).

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
The small downstairs half bath. Even if the rest of the bottom floor is destroyed it only takes 10 minutes tops to clean and I am then motivated to do the rest of the house. The kitchen is a big one too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.