Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHY WHY WHY???

So my last post on this topic was that bleach solved my stinky dipe problem. Well,it did, for about a week...
:

I had used a 1/4 cup bleach, and did 4 rinses afterwards, and the diapers smelled super clean, and did not have the nasty stink when peed in. It was great for a week or 2.

But my baby just peed tonight in a hemp diaper and I smelled the stink again. It smells like mildewy towels.

I have made sure to do extra rinses and dry extra long since the bleach application, thinking these things would help keep them stink free.

I cant believe they stink again this soon!!

My husband is convinced it's because we have untreated well water. He thinks I should just use bleach once a week. I guess thats the only thing I can do. Or get rid of all my hemp diapers, but then who the heck wants stinky hemp diapers????

Or I can just get used to my stinky pee baby....

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please, No need to tell me all your tricks! Trust me, I already tried them all!!! LOL

Just venting my frustration!

Yes, I did that, yes I did that, Yes I did that! Bleach was my last resort.... LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
have you tried Calgon laundry additive? If you're on straight well water, I imagine you've got very hard water. The calgon is a water softener and it'll let you wash the mineral buildup out of your dipes.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I, too, am experiencing the massive stinky hemp when peed on. It's driving me crazy! It's so gross...It makes me want to hurl!
I do not have well water. I've tried baking soda, tto, etc etc. Even the new dipes I bought have this problem.
I can't afford to replace all the soakers/doublers with non hemp. boohoo!

If i use Calgon, should I NOT use the baking soda at the same time?
Thanks!
Liz

·
Registered
22 Posts
Liz, I don't think it would hurt anything, but it's probably a waste if you're going to try the Calgon.

BTW, I don't think y'all would need to use it every single time--probably just on an as needed basis.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
We are having hemp stink problems too! We have been using the dipes for months now, so I thought that I was not going to be afflicted---no such luck! We have city water, and I always do an extra rinse cycle after using as little soap as possible...I am now trying to put baking soda and white vinegar in the final rinse...that should help, right???

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Most of the used hemp I get stinks to high heaven, so I am one with bleach. I don't even bother trying anything else now.

That being said, I don't think I've ever had the smell come back. I would HATE that. I Don't want to give you any more advice - it sounds like you've heard it all! If it's too much of a PITA I'd get rid of it and try something else. Sherpa, Jenn??

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JennInSeattle
So do you want organic cotton suggestions? How are you feeling about prefolds?

I am loving my prefolds! i am putting a bunch of stuff on ebay tonight, i am just giving up on hemp.

We do drink our water, but only after running it thru a distiller.We cant afford to get a water softener or filter or anything, Its easier to just switch dipes! LOL

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boobiemama
I had used a 1/4 cup bleach, and did 4 rinses afterwards, and the diapers smelled super clean, and did not have the nasty stink when peed in. It was great for a week or 2.
Did the bleach do anything (besides take the smell away) to your dipes? Did it strip any of the color off of any of your dipes? I'm asking b/c I've always wondered that about bleach!

Quote:

My husband is convinced it's because we have untreated well water. He thinks I should just use bleach once a week.
That may be our problem, too. Your DH may be onto something although I'm not sure how harsh that would be to use it that often.

Good luck mama!

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Quote:

Nope, the bleach didnt hurt the dipes.. I even had tie dyed prefolds in there and they still look brand new.
That's good to know. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Quote:

I am loving my prefolds! i am putting a bunch of stuff on ebay tonight, i am just giving up on hemp.

We do drink our water, but only after running it thru a distiller.We cant afford to get a water softener or filter or anything, Its easier to just switch dipes! LOL
I'd do the same thing! I'm really not buying much hemp anymore due to all the potential problems it can have even though I haven't experienced them. I hope your ebay sales do well and I'm relly glad you love your prefolds!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a detergent mixture and it keeps my diapers stink free. I mix in a slerlite container 4 cups of Dreft powder, one cup Clorox 2 bleach alternitive 2 cups baking soda and 1cup Multeam borax, I mix then use a small amount like with regular detergent. It does a great job but ever soooo often the stink reapeares ussually when shes teething. this is my solution.
I fill the washer with cold water and 1/2 cup multeem borateen and allow to soak for a least a few hours ussually over night, in the morning I add 1 cup vinager to the wash and run through a full cycle, I then wash on HOT with a small amount of my special detergent and run an extra rinse (checking for suds) this works for us.

Deanna

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.