Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm 20 years old and I came off birth control 11 months ago. I had previously had the injection for 4 years and had my last injection in January of this year (2016) which was due to be done again in March but I chose not to have it for deciding I wasn't happy with the injection and the effects.

In the end I chose not to go on any birth control, as the nurses had told me it takes your body at least 6 months to get back to it's regular fertile self.

It took my body 5 months before I started having regular periods again, which I have been having since July. Since then I have regular, normal periods which I assume means my body is back to being fertile. However I have now been having regular sex for 5 months since I have had normal periods back, and I haven't fell pregnant.

Should I be starting to be worried? I'm starting to think me or my boyfriend may be infertile, and although I'm not in an urgent rush for a baby, I'm more worried I or he may have fertility problems.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I wouldn't generally be worried. It can take a few months to find a good egg. However, there's nothing wrong with making sure everything is good. Have you had a preconception checkup? The doc/midwife will probably check everything over and send you back home and say keep trying for a year before we do more testing. The vast majority of women in their 20s will conceive within a year of trying. Are you tracking your cycles? The book "Take Charge of Your Fertility" is very popular around here and can give you a lot of information about your fertility signs and general cycle information. Personally, I like the website fertilityfriend. It has a nice charting "class" you can take that walks you through the stages of a cycle and the best times to conceive. Even if you don't do all the things (like temping), it's good for most of the information.

Good luck. I'd give it some time and it'll probably happen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
do not get upset too early. try and undergo as many examinations as you can.
I do not want you to be nervous but from my experience checking if everything works as it should be it the most important thing! I have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility and I did all of the tests only after I had my first ivf round. And after all of those years struggling to conceive. I know that this diagnosis may sound ridiculous because it doesn't tell anything specific but it does tell that I need fertility help.
I hope everything will be fine with you!
xx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts