Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Easy To Love, Difficult to Discipline

Votes: 9 15.8%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting movitated (thanks Susan) to do this... it's been on my to do list for like ever. The choices listed here are from the GD Book list at the top of the Forum. The Poll only allows for 15 choices and the list had 37 books on it (which I selectively narrowed down to 30-left out the ones that seemed to focus mostly on babies & NFL concepts rather than more solidly on GD), so pick your top TWO from this thread & your top TWO from the second thread.

Feel free to include any write ins. (But there won't be an "Other" choice).

The books are listed in the order on the GD Book List sticky note.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ok, found list 1. I only voted for one though b/c my other top GD books wasn't on either list: Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline & Unconditional Parenting.

I'm following the polls though!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Karen fixed this list 'cause I had listed one title twice, so now there's 1 space left - I've asked her to add "Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline" to this list.

Sorry, but 15 is all the choices each poll will allow & I stuck with the titles listed in the Sticky Note as best I could. (I had to draw the line somewhere and tried to only skip the ones that sounded mainly like baby books & the ones that seemed more about general parenting than getting at GD issues.)

But, write ins are good!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Easy to love & unconditional parenting - I'm so glad i read them, makes the prospect of bringing up a child seem like a joy rather than the battle i see some of my friends dealing with. Although most of my friends just think i'm a little odd :LOL

Becoming the parent you want to be - brought it as it was on the reading list but not so happy about it as it has sleep training & CIO!! If they can be soo wrong about that i don't really trust the rest of the advice.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I have two favs and voted for the one listed, but the other is not on the list as others have mentioned. Playful Parenting/Cohen got my one vote and my second would be for the write in: Unconditional Parenting if it were an option would get my second vote.

I have read several others that are quite good by the way (Kids Are Worth It, Kids, Parents and Power Struggles, How To Talk...) but if I only could choose two, *PP* and *UP* are it!

The best,
Em

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
And put four! I think my books work in conjunction with each other and complement each other. Where one is weak, the other is strong.

These are my favorites:

1. Positive Discipline and Positive Discipline A-Z
2. The Discipline Book by Dr. Sears
3. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen And Listen So Kids Will Talk
4. Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline

Cheers,

·
Registered
571 Posts
The Secret to Parenting is a fav along with Kids Parents and Power Struggles.

I would like two polls, one for GD Theory and one for GD practical application. So many books focus more on one than the other but both are important IMO.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Still keeping UP and PP at the top of my list and an addition...

Here at MDC,I kept noticing the title: Hold On To Your Kids [why parents need to matter more than peers] and couldn't resist. Asked the library to order it. They did and I've renewed as much as I can. After six weeks with the book, I have to return it tomorrow and I could cry. Its excellent. I've read it cover to cover... twice. And then some.

The three books I love tend to reach the very same conclusions, yet they arrive there in a variety of ways. Each gives its own perspective and together they offer a wonderfully comprehensive look into our children's minds, and important: how we can truly meet their needs and strengthen our families. I can't put one book above the other. My reference section is a horizontal wonder for which I am forever grateful. Can't wait until I've got the extra funds to purchase HOTYK and UP. For now, I've got to keep putting them on hold at the library so they'll get back into my hands at some point, at least for a little while.

The best,
Em

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.