Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 527 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chodesh tov mamas!

Come let's have a new thread...it's Kislev!

The triumph of light over darkness, of the weak over the strong, of the righteous over the evil....

Here comes Chanukah!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Chodesh tov mamas!

Come let's have a new thread...it's Kislev!

The triumph of light over darkness, of the weak over the strong, of the righteous over the evil....

Here comes Chanukah!
:

Well here I am. I totally missed the last thread
: We were busy moving (we are now in NJ, going to NYC next month). We both miss Israel, but it was important to come for my parents to show we are "trying" to live in the good old US of A. We are here until June 25, unless by some miricle dh finds a great job and we fall totally in love with the US and decide to stay.

So that is our update. We are all recovered from jetlag and adjusting to life here. This time of the year it is so difficult to be in the US. I hate being in the US in Nov / Dec.
: WAAAAAAA I just wanna go home. Anyway I will try to keep up on the thread even though we are still moving about between NJ and NY, and we are not settled into our own place (read: I share the computer with my dad
) yet.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Rach! I wondered where you were....

RachelMolly: We don't dafka celebrate it or not.
We like the days off from work. We used to go get Indian food...but I'm not sure if the place is open this year or not. I do like the food though....so we'll probably have "Thanksgiving-ish" food for Shabbes.

Chodesh tov mamas!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2seven View Post
Um - ladies. Kislev doesn't start until tomorrow night.

I was saving my new special bottle of bubble bath for tomorrow night,, and then thought whoa... do I get to use it tonight? thanks M27 for the correction!

as for me, I am now the owner of a new HARD cast-plaster even. Went to the dr today and got to see my poor arm for 1/2 hour (and WASH it.......ahhhhh
) i couldnt move it at all even when the cast was off, which was scary, my right arm still had to move my left. B"H the doc said all is healing well and no infection- in 2-3 weeks this cast comes off and i go into a (bendable brace??). IL's arrive tomorrow. Im davening hard for a peacefull visit with *NO*kashrus skirmishes!

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Answer a Q for me. So my ds1 (6.5 yrs) says that he was told in Judaics today (Orthodox school) that Rivka married Yitzak when she was 3.5 yrs old. And he was already a man. And then lived with his family until she was old enough to be his wife.

Did my ds remember the story wrong? Or...so I've never heard this before

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't - mostly depending on if we are getting together with our parents. This year, IL's are staying put in Phily and my parents' house is going to be TOO CRAZY as is with my other 4 sibs, spouses, kids and dogs. We are getting together next weekend. However, we are doing a 'turkey-themed' shabbos this week.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelMolly View Post
I know I saw a post, Tikvah I think?, saying that we do not do Thanksgiving. We were talking about this over shabbes, how one friend thinks it's the most Jewish of the American holidays. We were talking about what the truly American holidays are: July 4th, Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day etc . And that there are Jews who dafka (on purpose) do not celebrate it. Anyone who fits into this category care to please share?

Aside from the practicality (why have a yuntiv-shabbes when you don't really *have* to...ie. Thanksgiving thursday then Shabbes the next night), why don't some yidden celebrate this very American of holidays that symbolizes our freedom to live our lives however we'd like in this free country of ours?
Well, if it weren't for the nice Chabanicks we met at the thrift store when I was pg with DS, I don't know who would have been there for his Bris! He was born on a Wednesday night, and the following Thursday was Thanksgiving day!

Nobody could make it to the Bris, as they were busy at their on Thanskgiving gatherings. The Mohel obviously made it, the Chabbad rebbetzin was the only woman not related to anybody who held the baby prior to the Bris itself (apparently there's some custom regarding this? This was the 3rd Bris I'd been to in my entire life, the first 2 being when I was 2.5 and 9, respectively.) We managed to "borrow" 6 men from our next-door neighboor's Thanksgiving feast so we could have a minyon!

(and then I posted about it on the message board I frequented at the time and was introduced to the circ debate in a very offensive way.)

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
Answer a Q for me. So my ds1 (6.5 yrs) says that he was told in Judaics today (Orthodox school) that Rivka married Yitzak when she was 3.5 yrs old. And he was already a man. And then lived with his family until she was old enough to be his wife.

That is what Rashi says. There are at least two other opinions in the Gemara, one that says she was 12, another says she was 14 (maybe there is a third that says we don't know?). So yes, your ds got it right.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelEve14 View Post
:

Well here I am. I totally missed the last thread
: We were busy moving (we are now in NJ, going to NYC next month). We both miss Israel, but it was important to come for my parents to show we are "trying" to live in the good old US of A. We are here until June 25, unless by some miricle dh finds a great job and we fall totally in love with the US and decide to stay.

So that is our update. We are all recovered from jetlag and adjusting to life here. This time of the year it is so difficult to be in the US. I hate being in the US in Nov / Dec.
: WAAAAAAA I just wanna go home. Anyway I will try to keep up on the thread even though we are still moving about between NJ and NY, and we are not settled into our own place (read: I share the computer with my dad
) yet.
Good luck on your upcoming move and welcome back to the thread!

Quote:

Um - ladies. Kislev doesn't start until tomorrow night.

Quote:

Oops! My calendar says Rosh Chodesh. D'oh! Oh well.

Quote:

It *is* rosh chodesh, but it's not Kislev until tomorrow night. On a two day rosh chodesh, the first day is the last day of the previous month.

Quote:

Oh.

Noone ever told me that before. See, you just illuminated my ignorance.
:
You two are too cute!

I learned all about the Rosh Chodesh thingie when I learned that my Hebrew Birthday is Rosh Chodesh Elul (the 2nd day, the first actual day of Elul.)

We're one Jewish month away from my DD's Bat Mitzvah!!! (where's that tearing your hair out smilie?) Invitations went out today, the food is mostly planned, we know where we're having it (shul) but we're so disorganized. At least we all have new clothes to wear for it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamimapster View Post
as for me, I am now the owner of a new HARD cast-plaster even. Went to the dr today and got to see my poor arm for 1/2 hour (and WASH it.......ahhhhh
) i couldnt move it at all even when the cast was off, which was scary, my right arm still had to move my left. B"H the doc said all is healing well and no infection- in 2-3 weeks this cast comes off and i go into a (bendable brace??). IL's arrive tomorrow. Im davening hard for a peacefull visit with *NO*kashrus skirmishes!
I can relate to that washing thing right now with my foot. I was never "not allowed to wash it" but it's awfully hard to get in and out of a bathtub when you can only put weight on one foot!! Baruch Hashem I'm more mobile now.

Good luck with the inlaws.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post

Yeah, I've heard that before as well. My DDs just learned this again recently, and I had to clarify that Yitzak wasn't a child molester! Unlike your 6yo, they know what goes on after a wedding and why it's not appropriate for a 3yo!!!

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Okay, but how old was Yitzach? And when was the wedding then consumated? How did that work exactly? Because, yes like Ruthla's DDs I got a little squicked by the idea.

And now I can tell my ds that it is Rashi not Morah Judy who says this. (Evidently I learned today also that Morah Judy knows allll and that how dare I say there were probably other opinions!)
So unlike my ds really to think that someone knows more than he does. But hey, I like Morah Judy.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I believe that Yitzchak was 40. If there are other opinions about that, I don't know. As for consumating - no, not at age 3. But you have to keep in mind that 12 and 14 even in much more recent history was not an abnormally young age to get married.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
12 and 14 don't bother me. 3 1/2. Well....that's a little in my discomfort zone.

How COULD Yitzchak marry a 3 year old? I mean technically. Wouldn't the marriage not be a marriage until it was consummated when she was of age?

I'm please my ds has been paying such good attention. He told me, "Yitzchak was old. Older than you mama."

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
a) We are talking about the Avos and Emahos, who are out of our realm. People who had prophecy, etc.
b) When we get 'squicked out' we are applying our modern understanding of love and marriage to their relationships. For a parent to contractually decide on a marriage partner for a young child and promise him/her was not culturally inappropriate for the time period.
c) Don't forget that until recently, Jewish Yemenites promised their daughters in marriage at such a young age to protect them from being taken by, er, not Jewish Yemenites.

1 - 20 of 527 Posts