Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2seven View Post
Um - ladies. Kislev doesn't start until tomorrow night.

I was saving my new special bottle of bubble bath for tomorrow night,, and then thought whoa... do I get to use it tonight? thanks M27 for the correction!

as for me, I am now the owner of a new HARD cast-plaster even. Went to the dr today and got to see my poor arm for 1/2 hour (and WASH it.......ahhhhh
) i couldnt move it at all even when the cast was off, which was scary, my right arm still had to move my left. B"H the doc said all is healing well and no infection- in 2-3 weeks this cast comes off and i go into a (bendable brace??). IL's arrive tomorrow. Im davening hard for a peacefull visit with *NO*kashrus skirmishes!

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkpmomtoboys View Post
Hi everyone,

Has been forever since I checked in and said "hi" but I need some help...

My brother and sister-in-law had a baby girl last Friday...they are doing the baby naming and luncheon at home this Friday at home...they are doing it themselves, without an officiant but want me to do a reading...

Have any of you had baby namings for girls? I know there are some "traditional" readings to do but can't find them anywhere (and I've only had or been to brisses...) A particular psalm? They're doing blessings, etc... already...

Any help would be so appreciated...

Thanks thanks thanks!
wow, we did one in shule, and compiled some of the readings ourselves. I think there is a copy somewhere- i will look.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Just got home from Trader Joes. They have organic eggnog that is OU-d. It is delishhhhhhhious.
mmmmmm...........my sis is taking me to tj's next week....... if i don't figure out how to drive with one arm before then

· Registered
1,911 Posts
good shabbos mamas!

Mazel tov on those smart kinder tikvah
r's-hope you feel better.
glad the t-giving went well Yonit

rynna
glad bella seems better

we're headed out to the park with the il's. luckily most of shabbos is ready.only minor t-giving fireworks, thank G-D. soooore arms today.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
Amy, I only have eyes for three cute guys
:

it was pretty fun but my desk still feels like it is rocking LOL - waiting for that feeling to go away!
:
Bwahahaaa! this is why we could never go on a cruise.I would love it, and dd also, but Dp would just be siiick- we went on a whale watch with the Il's (against dp's better judgement) when Dp was pg, Ohhh disaster!:puke

Dd's lovely morah (have I repeated how much i
dd's school) called to say dd's eye has been getting progressively redder today and there is
pinkeye in another class at school (not dd's) i hope that the sniffly cold she's had is just making the eye a bit red
dp is taking her to the ped. im trying to remember the cure that helped a horrible eye infection i had years ago. i remember hot compresses with either boric acid or boric powder-i know the hot helps and the solution draws out the infection.

rainastar! We're actively jewish, i know there are some not as actively jewish mamas on MDC though.

as for me, i just want to be able to DRIVE I sooo want my life back. i actually got the car out of the garage this weekend and then stopped

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

Emotionally, he's very mature for his age and he's doing fine as the youngest in his class. IMO, he'd be bored out of his mind if he was the oldest in his class. Other kids benefit from being "held back" a year if their birthdays are right by the cutoff date. Besides his emotional maturity, I would have put him in a much shorter preschool program if I hadn't needed it as childcare.

Me too!
Davening for a safe & smooth birth-

Dd is in the same situation-she started out in a younger 3-4's room, and after three days she was bored and not very happy(there were other reasons too). she was switched to a younger 4-5's room and is now muuuuch happier she is in that wierd midpoint area. the pinkeye btw turned out to be mild, and has almost cleared with eyedrops from the ped.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
ditto here on the mozarella-boy i wiish horizon organic string cheese(is) was ou-d i have never seen it with a hecksher.I've tried three dif kinds of kosher string cheese with dd and no dice(however she lives on air nowadays), but she used to looove the cheapo non-kosher string cheese we bought until we decided to no longer purchase non-kosher cheese. Don't GET me started on parmesan!

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Shifra View Post
I once wrote Organic Valley Farms to ask why if their milk and cream cheese had an OU, then why couldn't their cheese. Well, they wrote back to say that while they only used kosher ingredients in all their products, that their dairy was an 8 hour drive from Milwaukee (the closest city with an Orthodox rabbi who could supervise for the OU) and since milk and cream cheese do not require a rennent subsitute, it does not need continuous supervision; however, cheese evidently needs continuous supervision and the supervising rabbi needs to add the rennent substitute (evidently there is a requirement for "gvinas yisrael" or cheese that was made by a Jew).

I guess the best solution would be for the World Cheese Company (makers of Haolam and Millers Cheese) or one of the Israeli companies to do an organic line.

Shifra

I would be totally overjoyed if haolam would do a organic line- so far dd wont do either of their string cheese- she will eat tilamook's kosher yellow cheddar, the only place we have found that sells ungrated parmesan is a italian kosher cheesemaker, they do ship, but oh the $$! both haolam & millers parms are pregrated, and not as flavorful. We only eat meat on shabbos & yomtov- and dd is totally vegetarian (no interest at all), so getting protien into her can be trying.

we went to a GREAT lecture tonight about resisting media & consumer culture sponsored by the early childhood Kehilla (JUF)- some of the issues were for more materialistic families than ours, but some really hit home.If you ever get the chance to hear Dr Diane Levin speak-go she's great.
I am still sore,but CAST FREE and driving short/local amounts- im scared though. I am slowly going back to working but I don't know if I can physically do job #2 (delivery driver w/lifting), and they paid me for 1/2 of last month, but they arent obligated to pay me at all, and wont anymore untill i go back. job #1 is as a nanny-I will be fine-they are paying me 1/2 pay until I can go back altogether.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tikva18 View Post

I was supposed to be at a chasuna right now, but I made one of my favorite chicken dinners instead - pinneaple chicken with brown rice - so I guess it's okay.
mmmm, sounds yummy. recipie?

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Lol! Guess what I bought at the store today!
:
:
:
mmmm.... sliced tomatoes w/salt & lemon juice.
sorry to hear about your ds, sounds like mamas here have some good ideas.

Could someone please explain to dd's school that giving us one week to come up with money for next year (250 deposit) is virtually impossible since we don't know how we're paying for the extra hours she had to go this year
I'm verrry tired and sore today
:

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

So we got robbed. Probably during the blackout, as a number of houses were broken into them. We didn't notice it until yesterday b/c it was through a window in the garage and b"H, they were prevented from entering the house. They stole our TV
Wow, I'm sorry-I would be creeped out knowing that someone was in my garage. Maybe that is the way to get rid of our Tv
? However, I have a tendency when tired to forget to close the garage door
: nothings ever been stolen though. You would think as a city person I would be more paranoid, but I'm not.My bio parents almost never lock their doors
(my sister who lives upstairs has a large rott/lab mix who goes upstairs and downstairs) he would be a most unwelcome surprise!

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
I remember a UPS guy running away from our door until he saw that the dog barking when I opened it was a 30 lb basset hound.
:
and my sister's ferocious looking dog is all lab in personality-a giant fluffy teddy bear who loves mud and water

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yonit View Post
A cute little Chanukah joke that a friend sent me..

A woman goes to the post office to buy stamps for her Hannukah cards.

She says to the clerk, "May I have 50 Hannukah stamps?"

The clerk says, "What denomination?"

"Oh my G-d," the woman says, "has it come to this? Give me 6 Orthodox, 12 Conservative, and 32 Reform."
: ahhhh...I needed that.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by merpk View Post

DD#2 jumped off our new bed last Shabbos morning ... and broke her leg.
And I fell down a staircase that same afternoon ... and sprained both legs/ankles.

So since we're in a third-floor walk-up, essentially, am homebound and pretty much have been chairbound till today. Today am hobbling around. Using DD#2's stroller as a "cane" and also to get her around, since she can't walk and, well, I can't carry her.

So what was it I was saying a few posts back about nisayonos?????

Sigh.
oy, amy R's to you and Dd ouch! maybe if we combined my legs and your arms we'd have a whole person?Don't you know that all beds should be replaced by pallets on the floor and all stairs by rubberized ramps?
On a serious note, I have to confess that stairs are giving me small panic attacks these days
I would HATE living in a third floor walkup! we live in a tri-level, but all of our stairs are carpeted-falling on carpeted stairs hurts less.

PS- the bagpipe guy was almost identical to the bagpipe player I saw everyday in Edenburgh ( down to the longish greasy looking hair)
I never heard him play dreidel though. Only Scots Wha Hae over and over.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by julie128 View Post
Let me get your opinion on this. On Friday afternoon, we went to a bday party for one of dd1's classmates. At the party, a girl rudely commented on dd's thumbsucking habit. Okay, yes, she needs to stop sucking her thumb, however it was the rudeness of the comment that is my concern. DD says this is not unusual coming from this girl. On the one hand, I think that dd needs to learn to deal with meanness, and I should stay out of it. OTOH, kids shouldn't be allowed to get away with being mean. What do you think?

Also, dd's teachers have been talking with me about the thumb. Some of the other kids (I'm sure this girl included) don't want to sit by her because they don't want to get saliva on themselves. We have tried putting Bite Free on her thumb, and she will suck her fingers. We put it on all her fingers, and she sucks on the front of her shirt. The more we push, the more she seems to need it, so I'm backing off for now, but her teeth are really affected by the thumb, and it's got to stop.
how old is dd? I was a serious thumb sucker as a child. I was sucking my thumb immediately after birth-literally. I was EBF'ed but still thumb sucked until about age 6, for me it was a shyness/stress issue i outgrew it, but I think it was because I wasn't hassled over it and evevtually i was done.
We had a little Chanukah get together tonight and Mmmm bubbe & gramma brought sufganiot from a local bakery called northshore
I would walk a mile in ths snow for their bourekas.

Welcome Lieba

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmama44 View Post
Mazal Tov on the birth of your son. I too believed that my baby would never come! We have been blessed with boys this year- just about all my friends have had boys this year...Must be something in the water...

Mazel Tov on the Channukah babe!

Hmmm......Where can I get some of that water? I would happily take either boy or girl flavor

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tikva18 View Post
Back to the discussion about who would take your kids if ch'vsh... well, I spoke w/a friend about it and she said she'd take my kids ina minute. I can't describe how relieved I feel. Now we need to make a will.
Boruch Hashem! I've kept very quiet on this issue becasue it is painful to my family. BliAyin Hara, pu pu pu nothing bad should happen, but,Please even if you don't make a will right away just at least write it in a letter and let a person you trust know where it is. I have been through the nightmare aftermath of what happens to the kids after an unexpected death-when the dead parent's verbal wishes and intentions were not honored in a very sad way(there was no letter or will).
:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.