Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

· Registered
12,614 Posts
Rach! I wondered where you were....

RachelMolly: We don't dafka celebrate it or not.
We like the days off from work. We used to go get Indian food...but I'm not sure if the place is open this year or not. I do like the food though....so we'll probably have "Thanksgiving-ish" food for Shabbes.

Chodesh tov mamas!

· Registered
12,614 Posts
Answer a Q for me. So my ds1 (6.5 yrs) says that he was told in Judaics today (Orthodox school) that Rivka married Yitzak when she was 3.5 yrs old. And he was already a man. And then lived with his family until she was old enough to be his wife.

Did my ds remember the story wrong? Or...so I've never heard this before

· Registered
12,614 Posts
Okay, but how old was Yitzach? And when was the wedding then consumated? How did that work exactly? Because, yes like Ruthla's DDs I got a little squicked by the idea.

And now I can tell my ds that it is Rashi not Morah Judy who says this. (Evidently I learned today also that Morah Judy knows allll and that how dare I say there were probably other opinions!)
So unlike my ds really to think that someone knows more than he does. But hey, I like Morah Judy.

· Registered
12,614 Posts
12 and 14 don't bother me. 3 1/2. Well....that's a little in my discomfort zone.

How COULD Yitzchak marry a 3 year old? I mean technically. Wouldn't the marriage not be a marriage until it was consummated when she was of age?

I'm please my ds has been paying such good attention. He told me, "Yitzchak was old. Older than you mama."

· Registered
12,614 Posts
Nah, I'm okay with arranged marriage. I think it's that I don't understand the events as they were recounted. Just have the little piece that my ds brought home. That's all. Not trying to offend.

Perhaps the difference here is betrothal and marriage. My ds said they were married. Perhaps it's betrothed.

I think I'm just not understanding. Sorry.

· Registered
12,614 Posts
I'm with you Rynna. So are my dh and my uncle. We're fairly unpopular in our family about this topic. And um, none of us are going to the dinner this year. Nor have we been in the last couple of years.

I asked my dh what he thought about celebrating it or not this year. And he said, "I've never liked that holiday, and you know I'm not going to start now."

Still, I like the food. And yeah, I like the US. But no, I'm not the least bit crazy about how it started or the so-called morals of the Puritans which I don't share.

My uncle calls it, National celebration of the destruction of Native peoples day.

As Borat would say, Niiiiiiiice.

· Registered
12,614 Posts
Yonit....I have the almost the same MIL situation WRT my children are family, but I am not. The strange thing is: my MIL had the same situation with her MIL who was cruel to her beyond reason. And she really resented it all. And spoke about it many many times as having been hurtful to her. And yet the way she treats me is .... identical.

What are you guys going to make? There is this cranberry coffee cake looking dessert/bread in Kosher by Design.

· Registered
12,614 Posts
nak

There were last year these reindeer pretzels...also OU.

I *love* eggnog. The Organic valley coop one I yummy.

I'm anxious to see the soy sil eggnog carton this year. I wrote to them about their lumping chanukkah in w/c'mas as inappropriate. They said they would change it. we'lll see.

bella sounds delicious too!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.