Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,905 Posts
back to the thanksgiving thing:

Dh also says that every day is a day of thanksgiving , so why should we put so much into this one. Also, he feels that a hostile take-over of a country is not appropriate. Furthermore, he feels that the Puritans were the last thing from being open-minded about religion (other than wanting the freedom to celebrate their religion their way).

I feel that I'm very proud to be an American. I have the freedom to live my life and my religion without fear and I can do so openly. I am overwhelmed by this reality in America. So many times I think that our family could still be in the old country and struggling. This is the reason why I cry at parades on the 4th of July. Plus I have the added bonus of a very, very strong connection to my grandparents (with whom I always celebrated these two holidays). I miss my grandparents just terribly and now these holidays also reduce me to tears as I remember them. Although it certainly doesn't take a holiday to think of my grandparents. I think of my grandmother all day long and I miss her so much. When I was younger I told her that she could never die, because I couldn't live without her. And now that she has, I do live, but I miss her so much - sometimes it just is unbearable.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkpmomtoboys View Post
Hi everyone,

Has been forever since I checked in and said "hi" but I need some help...

My brother and sister-in-law had a baby girl last Friday...they are doing the baby naming and luncheon at home this Friday at home...they are doing it themselves, without an officiant but want me to do a reading...

Have any of you had baby namings for girls? I know there are some "traditional" readings to do but can't find them anywhere (and I've only had or been to brisses...) A particular psalm? They're doing blessings, etc... already...

Any help would be so appreciated...

Thanks thanks thanks!
I'm not too up on baby namings (wasn't even at my own baby's), but perhaps the 'priestly blessing'.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Can someone tell me why Tehila is awake and crawling around at 11:05 pm ???? Just daven that both babies should sleep all night and give me a break. We already are at breaking point with no sleep from crying middle of the ngith babies. (They are cutting molars).

Off topic:

did i brag? I got my boys' report cards yesterday. Let's talk about shepping nachas!!!!! I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo pleased with how well they did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stop kvelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mamash, yesterday i was in tears about it. This comes after an absolutely disastrous year last year (some of you may remember) of Akiva being bullied nonstop and his grades plummeting as a result. When I picked him up from mishmor afterschool yesterday, we went and spoke with the principal for a moment and he shook Akiva's hand and told him how proud he was of him.
May we continue to have such diligent learners and may they continue to grow! Every year Yehuda Nachman's grades are inching up higher and higher and he is doing better and better with his class. I'm thrilled.
i didn't need Rashi's report card to tell me that I made the right decision in holding him back - I'm watching him grow daily!

· Registered
1,905 Posts
for some reason I keep getting unsubscribed to this thread and not getting email notification - having just read and catching up - maybe because the thread is so racy LOL.

I have a rip-splitting headache. My throat and chest are on fire and all day long everyone has asked me to repeat myself. why can't they understand that it hurts to speak?

All right. I've made my big purchase - size 7 slim pants at Gymboree - some for $12.59 and some for $15.ish. Hooray for Yehuda nachman!!! all of his pants had holes in the knees and I just discovered that Gymboree's pants are actually slim enough that they do NOT fall down when my child is standing! (he is so skinny that his rib cage protudes grossly even when he is not sucking in his breath). As a bonus, gymboree has reeled me in, hook, line, and sinker with their gymbucks gimmick - I have now earned $25.00 to spend on thenext purchase - I think in January. (I think I may be an addict
- but what can I do? my kids need clothes and the gemach does not carry slim pants).

We had company - we all had a good time. We have most of Shabbos made (turkey). I need to make soup, gefilte fish, maybe a kugel, and I'm good to go. And, I did most of my cleaning today - let's just daven that my sweet kinderlach do not undo all of my hard work!

Anyone hitting the sales tomorrow? I really see little need to buy more - I'm really thinking that I'd like us to slim down what we have - finetune, if you will. (not that dh would ever believe that one!). Oh, woops! definitely need to go shopping tomorrow!!!! we're out of mandlen for the soup - and the kids love them. Let's hope I remember!

· Registered
1,905 Posts
I am so majorly bummed - I haven't even told dh yet - waiting for the kids to actually go to bed. I have a friend whose dh works in a webstore for baby things. My friend's dh was willing to get me carseats at his cost and had thought that he had gotten permission to do so. I did my research, convinced dh to go for the more expensive (read Britax) seats, and gave our credit card info. Well, my friend called tonight to say that she was sorry, but when the owner found out it wasn't for them, that it was a no-go. I totally understand, but am so bummed out. I never asked them to do this for me, they had offered. I need to buy two convertible carseats for the babies for my car, a convertible for Rashi, a booster for Yehuda Nachman, and then I need to replace the bad car seats in dh's car too. That's serious money. I guess I need to win a raffle or something (dh actually gave money for the raffle for my shul, but I look at it as tzedaka, not as a chance for winning). How on earth am I going to afford to buy carseats?

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2seven View Post
Rivka, did you try posting on the car-seat.org forums for suggestions of other carseats?
OH, you mean my new home away from home? yes. I've been posting there a lot!

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelEve14 View Post
Rivka
I totally kwym buying carseats for twins. The difference between the britax doesn't seem *so* much, then you start doubling it. YIKES! We went with radians for Nechama & Rena. They go to 65lbs and the top slots are 18 inches. I figure they won't outgrow them until 6 or so and then I am ok with putting them in a booster (unless you were getting regents there won't be a difference between the radian and the britaxes), and the radians were 179.99 vs. 250 for a marathon. Big difference times 2 (Rivka is still in one of the girls' old Evenflos rear facing). I have heard they can have install isues in some cars, so you may want to check a local store before you buy online, but they instll in my mom's car fast and tight. We are really h appy with them and the girls are comfy too.
Yes, and not only do I need for the twins - I also have to buy new ones for two of my bigger kids. That's FOUR carseats - and I need decent ones for dh's car too.

I got two Marathons for $227 each shipping included.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
About the pre-school thing:

My oldest attended daycare until he was 2 1/2yrs old. I then enrolled him in a program after we moved to Chicago so he'd have continuity. At 3 1/2 he started pre-school.

REtrospectively, I wish that I had not been working and kept him home. I think that he would have vbenefited from being with me more. The reason why I enrolled him in a program after we moved was because I was on bedrest and then he had a new sibling and I thought that at least he would have one constant.
He is outgoing and excellent with adults - his peer interaction is much poorer. He seems, to me, to be needy at times - others , he is quite independent.

His brothers did not attend anything early - infact started late, and they are behind developmentally - whereas Akiva may be ahead.

Who knows...toss a coin...Show me a parent who doesn't always rethink his/her parenting that's been done, and ... well... you get the idea.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Another midwestern mama who could potentially know you! I've kind of done the midwestern thing - grew up in Des Moines, lived in Minneapolis, lived in Omaha, almost moved to St. Louis, and presently live in Chicago.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Re: pumping and dumping

I had twins who were born at 35wks5days. One weighed 4lb and the other 5. The nurses at the hospital told me the same story that with preemies they get too tired and burn too many calories trying to nurse. For the first week that baby A was home (my 4lber)I gave him my pumped milk in bottles after trying at each session to nurse. Baby B did not know how to nurse - so we always tried first,b ut she simply was not efficient enough to draw out my milk. I cried a ton. We pumped and gave her a bottle after trying at each session to nurse. At 40 weeks, it was magic. They caught on and we ditched the bottles for her and everything was good.

I turned my pump on before Shabbos and pumped and used the milk as needed. I never ever gave my babies formula after we were at home- it was completely unnecessary. When the milk is necessary for the baby, then one can pump and use it - you are the baby's only means of nourishment. When you are no longer the baby's only means of nourishment that's when you pump and dump.

Good luck and it takes time for a preemie to catch on to nursing, but it does happen. As for the flat nipples: my friend has this problem and her first nursed for 9 months with the nipple shields and then she was able to wean her baby from them. Her second nursed for 5 or 6months with the shields and was able to wean from them. her third only used the shield for maybe a month and is going strong at 9 months now - no shield.

Good Luck and Mazel Tov!!!!!!

(Oh, and trust your instincts - you know more as a mother, than any doctor does).

Rivka, proud mommy of 5(bli ayin hara)

· Registered
1,905 Posts
PUmp rental: she should be able to get the Symphony pump (Medela) from the hospital as a rental - I would assume - it cost me $25/week or $100/mo. Much, much, much more efficient than any home grade pump.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
I think it depends on how sick you are. When I had mastitis the first time (after the twins were born) I felt totally fine and then all of a sudden I felt like I'd been run over by a truck. I ended up with a fever over 103 - maybe 104. The dr. gave antibiotics and I was sooo much better the next day. Since then I've been plagued with plugged ducts , red streaking, low grade fevers off and on. Each time I've used moist heat, drank tons, and tried (haha) to rest. I have not antibiotics since.

Refuah Sh'leima!

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Yonit, I'm sorry that you are in so much discomfort. This happened to me when I was pregnant with the twins. One day I was carryinga laundry basket to the bsement - the next minute I could no longer walk - every movement was agony.
I feel for you.
it did clear up right after I had the babies, but the wierd thing is that my hips pop out of place all of the time now and then just pop back in.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Wow, rynna, may everyone have a refuah shleima!!!

All is good here. I went to my second night of shep nachas at the boys' school - I mean parent/teacher conferences

Any ideas how to get an almost 11 yr old boy to stop throwing/tossing things in the air? I am repeatedly asking him to stop, but to no avail.

I'm supposed to go to a chasuna tomorrow night,b ut have nothing to wear and no babysitter. Something had better happen fast!

Tehila took FOUR steps today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Boy Ruth, do I feel for you. I'm so exhausted I can barely move, much less think. I figured out that I'm getting somewhere between 4-6hrs sleep at night - and none during the day. I need at least 8 at night to be good - 7 for functionality. I woke up this morning at 6am to dh and ds fighting. They were both yelling. I expect one of them to be the grown-up and it's too much to ask of ds. I hope that he made it to school - his bus has been super erratic.

What do you all do for chanukah? Do you give gifts? big ones? little ones? many? a few? none? why?

Dh is really anti-gift. I have the feeling that it stems back to his childhood - and that he was never really given anything. My family, OTOH, was into gifts (partially, I think, for my grandparents' sake - and they always called them Christmas gifts even though they knew and understood that there was no Xmas). But we didn't necessarily get big gifts - sometimes they were 'bigger' than others. My parents always gave us at least one gift per night.
When we had kids, my parents wanted them to also have at least one per night - but now they've cut back to only 3 or 4 gifts from them. Every year I'm trying to do a little less, but it's hard - I suppose because it's so engrained. This year I have books for my kids and a couple of games.

In the meantime, when dh was yelling at ds, he told him that 'that's fine - you just won't get any gifts for chanukah or your b-day (Jan. 6).
Sometimes, I'm just at such a loss as to how to explain to dh how to parent in a way that he'd listen to me and respect what I'm saying.
Poor ds. he simply needs guidance and understanding and then the majority of the blow-ups that ds and dh have would disappear.

I need sleep.
Dh is supposed to have taken my kids to school, but they are still here.
help?!.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Yafa, mazal tov! what is your baby's name? how did the bris go? How terrific that you were able to do this incredibly special mitzva.

I was supposed to be at a chasuna right now, but I made one of my favorite chicken dinners instead - pinneaple chicken with brown rice - so I guess it's okay.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Mazal tov on no cast! I was actually going to go hear that speaker and then decided it was just too much for me - it wouldn't have worked anyway.

My chicken recipe is actuallr from a super old chicago cookbook that i grew up w. How old? well the phone numbers start w/letters!

Baked chicken w/peach glaze (Iused pinneapple)
salt and pepper chicken to taste
bake covered at 350 for 45min
In a pot combine:
3/4c pureed peaches/pinneapple
1/3 c ketchup (as per cookbook-catsup)
2 tsp soy sauce
1/3c vinegar (sometimes i use wine)
1/2c brown sugar
Stir over low heat until smooth (I cheated and used my food processor - it was out already and then heted it up).

Reduce heat to 300, pour sauce over chicken and cook for 25 more min.

I also make brown rice and then serve w/juice from chicken drizzled over rice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.