Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't - mostly depending on if we are getting together with our parents. This year, IL's are staying put in Phily and my parents' house is going to be TOO CRAZY as is with my other 4 sibs, spouses, kids and dogs. We are getting together next weekend. However, we are doing a 'turkey-themed' shabbos this week.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
Answer a Q for me. So my ds1 (6.5 yrs) says that he was told in Judaics today (Orthodox school) that Rivka married Yitzak when she was 3.5 yrs old. And he was already a man. And then lived with his family until she was old enough to be his wife.

Did my ds remember the story wrong? Or...so I've never heard this before
That is what Rashi says. There are at least two other opinions in the Gemara, one that says she was 12, another says she was 14 (maybe there is a third that says we don't know?). So yes, your ds got it right.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
I believe that Yitzchak was 40. If there are other opinions about that, I don't know. As for consumating - no, not at age 3. But you have to keep in mind that 12 and 14 even in much more recent history was not an abnormally young age to get married.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
a) We are talking about the Avos and Emahos, who are out of our realm. People who had prophecy, etc.
b) When we get 'squicked out' we are applying our modern understanding of love and marriage to their relationships. For a parent to contractually decide on a marriage partner for a young child and promise him/her was not culturally inappropriate for the time period.
c) Don't forget that until recently, Jewish Yemenites promised their daughters in marriage at such a young age to protect them from being taken by, er, not Jewish Yemenites.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Quote:

Yonit....I have the almost the same MIL situation WRT my children are family, but I am not. The strange thing is: my MIL had the same situation with her MIL who was cruel to her beyond reason. And she really resented it all. And spoke about it many many times as having been hurtful to her. And yet the way she treats me is .... identical.

Isn't that weird. I have the same thing with my MIL. She thinks I got great shakes on the MIL deal b/c she never called me a 'slut' or something the horrific things her MIL is reported to have done, but she does have a lot of the same attitudes and same issues. P-G, let us learn from their mistakes and not torment our DIL's!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
Well, I give thanks every year that there's a holiday I can celebrate with my extended family that's not going to lead to religious arguments (as long as we bring all our food
Yeah, that is what we had for years. But as the kids get older, it gets harder. They won't consent to a 'fully kosher, only kosher T-day' and dh is worried with all the kosher/non-kosher food and trying to keep 7 kids straight with what they *can* eat and what they can't. So we are going to go to my parent's house next weekend after the hoards (i.e. my 4 sibs, their significant others, 6 nieces and nephews and 5 dogs) are gone.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Quote:

nak

There were last year these reindeer pretzels...also OU.

I *love* eggnog. The Organic valley coop one I yummy.

I'm anxious to see the soy sil eggnog carton this year. I wrote to them about their lumping chanukkah in w/c'mas as inappropriate. They said they would change it. we'lll see.

bella sounds delicious too!
I can top that one. Some kid at work was selling Easter chocolate as a fund raiser, one particular piece was a giant cross. You got it - OU-D.

Lactaid eggnog is OU, and there are a couple brands (one is Oberweiss, don't know if you can get it nationally) that have CRC certification.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmo&zoe View Post
It's an issue of Petter Rechem (Petter rhymes with rechem), the first to come out of the womb. This only relates to the first baby, being the first to come out of the womb through the birth canal. I don't think a VBAC would help, because he is no longer the first baby.

Only the peter rechem has to have a pidyon haben.

:

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by merpk View Post
Right. I had miscarriages before my first (a son) was born, so he didn't have a pidyon ha'ben either. To be honest, they were very rare in my NY community (not the youngest bunch of mothers in the world)
Hmm - I know Rav Elyashuv holds that if the miscarriage was before 3 mos then they still have a pidyon haben. If it is with or without a bracha is the only sheila.
ETA - From what I remember, the issue is twofold. One is there is a question about until when it is considered 'petter rechem' (and for sure under 40 days is not) and the second question is 'we don't know what came out' - unless a visably formed fetus was seen, we don't know if it meets a halachic definition of a fetus. The woman that lived behind me in Israel had three miscarriages and then a term pregnancy. Baby boy had a pidyon haben WITH a bracha. I know a number of such cases.

OK, yes you will hear the voice of experience here, but if you didn't ask a shaila about it, you might want to. Know someone who made a pidyon as an adult for that very reason, as well as a very red-faced family that made one for their nine-month-old.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by merpk View Post
I have had two miscarriages in my life past the three-month mark. One was this past May. The other was before my DS#1. It wasn't a shaila.
Sorry to hear it Amy.

I only wanted to clarify since you made it sound like for all miscarriages it was a give. I have known more than one family that found out much past 30 days that their bechor needed a pidyon after all and they had never asked the sheila.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Quote:

Amy

So with the c/s you are not ALLOWED to have a pidyon haben? Or not REQUIRED?

And what about if you convert and already had a first son who was a v-birth?
a) not allowed and b) no, since all of you are converts, he isn't a *halachic* 'first born' for the mitzvah of pidyon haben. How was that for short and sweet.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Quote:

Oh, you answered my Q, but I meant the first son...the one who was first. Not the first since converting. But now that I'm actually thinking about it, I'm guessing no.
I edited after I posted my original answer. Makes more sense now.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Amy - dh was told during his 'choson shmuze' - "no matter what point in the calendar, you must never, EVER say 'are you about to get your peirod?' in response to your wife's mood". You can pass it on to your dh in my dh's name. And that would include *having your period*. It's a way to dismiss your wife's issues and not take her seriously. Think about it. Would any dh appreciate it if we said, "Oh, you're just crabby b/c you haven't 'gotten any' for a week or so."? Yes, that may make them crabby, but they no one enjoys a dismissive attitude.

· Registered
6,154 Posts
Nicole, why do you think she doesn't love practicing Ivrit anymore? Maybe the novelty has gone out of it? I really think it is important that she doesn't know that this is hurting you. Maybe find a motivation - a sticker chart and at the end of the week buy ice cream/slurpee/whatever?

My only issue with homeschooling is you have to have a really, really good Judaic background to make it work for the limudei kodesh or pay someone else that does. It only worked for us when we hs'ed ds b/c I could do secular stuff and dh could do limudei kodesh.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.