Mothering Forum banner
41 - 60 of 527 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
12,261 Posts
We did Thanksgiving at my mom's ... and man, do I miss her turkey ... she's a lovely cook ... and then for various reasons started doing it ourselves, and then for various reasons started just making turkey for Shabbos.

That said, I have no problem with Thanksgiving, but DH does.


And that said, the whole argument that "as Jews we give thanks every day" rubs me kind of sideways. Kind of like the argument that those who won't make the brakha (blessing) for the shlom of the medina (peace of the state) because they say "we pray for the peace of Jews every day." Of course, they'll say the brakha for the shlom of the USA with no problem, just not for Israel.


Okay, will keep out of politics, I know.
But that really does make me crazy.

I miss mom's Thanksgiving.
Sigh.

And in re the politics, a good thing to do with your kids (if you have video capability) is to rent/buy the video "Squanto and the First Thanksgiving" made by Rabbit Ears Productions. A wonderful video, sad but sweet, animated gently, if that description makes any sense. My children did like watching it, and it gave the story of the first Thanksgiving in a way that did not gloss over the tragedies of the native peoples at all (it was central) but not insisting that the Europeans who celebrated that Thanksgiving were evil genocidal monsters.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
15,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by merpk View Post
And in re the politics, a good thing to do with your kids (if you have video capability) is to rent/buy the video "Squanto and the First Thanksgiving" made by Rabbit Ears Productions. A wonderful video, sad but sweet, animated gently, if that description makes any sense. My children did like watching it, and it gave the story of the first Thanksgiving in a way that did not gloss over the tragedies of the native peoples at all (it was central) but not insisting that the Europeans who celebrated that Thanksgiving were evil genocidal monsters.
How sweet. Of course my take on it is somewhat different... but I don't want to get this thread locked.


***

As a kid, I always wondered why Egg Nog is (often) O-U dairy. As an adult who likes to drink Egg Nog annually and is also looking out for a hechsher, I appreciate it. Who knew?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
45,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Bella can say "I wuv you!"
: There is nothing in the world more adorable than a baby saying "Mamma" and "I wuv you."
: She's such a sugar bunny!

Awwww!!!!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,614 Posts
nak

There were last year these reindeer pretzels...also OU.


I *love* eggnog. The Organic valley coop one I yummy.

I'm anxious to see the soy sil eggnog carton this year. I wrote to them about their lumping chanukkah in w/c'mas as inappropriate. They said they would change it. we'lll see.

bella sounds delicious too!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
subbing in,

Thanksgiving for us is usually somewhat of a thrown together affair. Not really a big deal for any of us, but a good excuse to get together for a nice meal and for husband and my mom's husband to watch some football together. Since my mom's husband and I don't like turkey we make duck, and then my mom and I try to come up with a decent menu to go with it. We do it all at my house, which makes it super easy, and I buy everything, so no kashrut issues.

in regards to MIL's, we also have issues here, also with my FIL's new wife, whose been in the picture for about 12 years, but is obviously not my husband's mother. I've gone through various stages; trying really hard, ignoring, overlooking, making excuses, etc. At this point I'm in an honesty phase. I just don't play their games, but am 100% honest when they are hurtful or mean. And I call her (and them) on all their bullsh*t, which is a tremendous amount. I find that while it doesn't mean they will change, I feel better not being a doormat, which is what everything else felt like.

And, as a mom of only boys I really hope that I can be smarter than she is and closer to my husband's mom, who while a bit crazy and over the top sometimes, clearly loves me and our kids and makes every single effort to be a help in any way she can

Abby
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,154 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
nak

There were last year these reindeer pretzels...also OU.


I *love* eggnog. The Organic valley coop one I yummy.

I'm anxious to see the soy sil eggnog carton this year. I wrote to them about their lumping chanukkah in w/c'mas as inappropriate. They said they would change it. we'lll see.

bella sounds delicious too!
I can top that one. Some kid at work was selling Easter chocolate as a fund raiser, one particular piece was a giant cross. You got it - OU-D.

Lactaid eggnog is OU, and there are a couple brands (one is Oberweiss, don't know if you can get it nationally) that have CRC certification.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Hi everyone,

Has been forever since I checked in and said "hi" but I need some help...

My brother and sister-in-law had a baby girl last Friday...they are doing the baby naming and luncheon at home this Friday at home...they are doing it themselves, without an officiant but want me to do a reading...

Have any of you had baby namings for girls? I know there are some "traditional" readings to do but can't find them anywhere (and I've only had or been to brisses...) A particular psalm? They're doing blessings, etc... already...

Any help would be so appreciated...

Thanks thanks thanks!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
back to the thanksgiving thing:

Dh also says that every day is a day of thanksgiving , so why should we put so much into this one. Also, he feels that a hostile take-over of a country is not appropriate. Furthermore, he feels that the Puritans were the last thing from being open-minded about religion (other than wanting the freedom to celebrate their religion their way).

I feel that I'm very proud to be an American. I have the freedom to live my life and my religion without fear and I can do so openly. I am overwhelmed by this reality in America. So many times I think that our family could still be in the old country and struggling. This is the reason why I cry at parades on the 4th of July. Plus I have the added bonus of a very, very strong connection to my grandparents (with whom I always celebrated these two holidays). I miss my grandparents just terribly and now these holidays also reduce me to tears as I remember them. Although it certainly doesn't take a holiday to think of my grandparents. I think of my grandmother all day long and I miss her so much. When I was younger I told her that she could never die, because I couldn't live without her. And now that she has, I do live, but I miss her so much - sometimes it just is unbearable.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkpmomtoboys View Post
Hi everyone,

Has been forever since I checked in and said "hi" but I need some help...

My brother and sister-in-law had a baby girl last Friday...they are doing the baby naming and luncheon at home this Friday at home...they are doing it themselves, without an officiant but want me to do a reading...

Have any of you had baby namings for girls? I know there are some "traditional" readings to do but can't find them anywhere (and I've only had or been to brisses...) A particular psalm? They're doing blessings, etc... already...

Any help would be so appreciated...

Thanks thanks thanks!
I'm not too up on baby namings (wasn't even at my own baby's), but perhaps the 'priestly blessing'.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tikva18 View Post
back to the thanksgiving thing:

Dh also says that every day is a day of thanksgiving , so why should we put so much into this one. Also, he feels that a hostile take-over of a country is not appropriate. Furthermore, he feels that the Puritans were the last thing from being open-minded about religion (other than wanting the freedom to celebrate their religion their way).

I feel that I'm very proud to be an American. I have the freedom to live my life and my religion without fear and I can do so openly. I am overwhelmed by this reality in America. So many times I think that our family could still be in the old country and struggling. This is the reason why I cry at parades on the 4th of July. Plus I have the added bonus of a very, very strong connection to my grandparents (with whom I always celebrated these two holidays). I miss my grandparents just terribly and now these holidays also reduce me to tears as I remember them. Although it certainly doesn't take a holiday to think of my grandparents. I think of my grandmother all day long and I miss her so much. When I was younger I told her that she could never die, because I couldn't live without her. And now that she has, I do live, but I miss her so much - sometimes it just is unbearable.

Rivka
, Iam so touched reading about what a close relationship you had with your grandparents, they must have been very special!!!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
45,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkpmomtoboys View Post
Hi everyone,

Has been forever since I checked in and said "hi" but I need some help...

My brother and sister-in-law had a baby girl last Friday...they are doing the baby naming and luncheon at home this Friday at home...they are doing it themselves, without an officiant but want me to do a reading...

Have any of you had baby namings for girls? I know there are some "traditional" readings to do but can't find them anywhere (and I've only had or been to brisses...) A particular psalm? They're doing blessings, etc... already...

Any help would be so appreciated...

Thanks thanks thanks!
No advice but I want to wish you a hearty Mazel Tov!!!!

Rivka
 

· Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
so the topic of Jews celebrating Turkey Day came up again - our landlord asked me if we celebrated it. I said, "of course" and he said he was not sure if we did or not because he knows of Jews who don't, and he said the reason is that people think since it's not a Jewish holiday specifically then it's a goyishe holiday.

Is that really the case?

Am I living in a bubble?

While I can't imagine many frum Jews carving a bird at the table Norman Rockwell style, I still wonder, why not? the holiday celebrates our freedom to live our lives as we want.

Now that I made the pecan pie, sweet potatoes, cranberry nut bread and stuffing, I should probably not fold laundry but go to sleep.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkpmomtoboys View Post
Hi everyone,

Has been forever since I checked in and said "hi" but I need some help...

My brother and sister-in-law had a baby girl last Friday...they are doing the baby naming and luncheon at home this Friday at home...they are doing it themselves, without an officiant but want me to do a reading...

Have any of you had baby namings for girls? I know there are some "traditional" readings to do but can't find them anywhere (and I've only had or been to brisses...) A particular psalm? They're doing blessings, etc... already...

Any help would be so appreciated...

Thanks thanks thanks!
Ritualwell is great for this kind of stuff! Here is the main link for babynamings, with links to subtopics (including suggested readings) listed on the left side of the screen:
http://www.ritualwell.org/lifecycles...ingsimchatbat/

Mazal tov to you and your family!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
not much time. Waiting for merpk and we are gonna shake up the country for Rosh Chodesh. But a few thoughts.

Ritualwell=baby naming ceromony for a girl (or boy or anything else), I'm hitting it up for brit info right now. And no, I haven't yet had the baby.

Chocolate cross: Oh! That was a cross? Thought it was just a big T. Stood for Tummy...To Eat...or hell, why not...Thanksgiving. Or it could have been an anchor. Like to a boat. Either way, it's chocolate right? Who cares.

Davka: "on purpose" or "with intention", though this is not to be confused with "kavannah". Davkah is like this, I DAVKAH made the comment above about the chocolate cross to show that just because it's a cross doesn't mean only Christians can eat it. Like THEY have a monolopy on chocolate. Or how bout this? I DAVKAH eat Christian chocolate just to show them that they don't have a monopoly on chocolate. As if by making it in the shape of a cross they would scare or deter ME. HAH! I SCOFF!

Thanksgiving=genocide. But we can always take it as a symbol of a moment in time when two groups of people were willing to sit at the same table, share a meal, and talk it out. Did it work? No. Was it forced? Probably. But if we want to focus on the positive, that is some symbolism we can take out of it anyways.

But the SADDEST comment of all I have to make...

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING that your mil can't cook! Oh MAN! I can't even imagine having to go to the inlaws on a holiday and not have good food. This totally saddens me and I don't have a solution, though I do bring my own food to mil's house when I have had it up to my ears with the lack of breakfast options (no, pastry is NOT breakfast for a baby and pregnant mama... I'll pack the museli, thank you very much!) I also had a LONG talk with the inlaws about some food issues. No healthy options are a problem for me...but the bigger problem is kashrut.

Don't even get me started on food. Some of the other ladies on the board can vouch for this. It's just too important.

Did you know that there was a kabalistic rabbi who, when asked for a bracha on the marriage of one of his students, offered him these two pearls.

Indulge in two things in a marriage, said the rabbi. Intercourse and food.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
Davka = just to spite

Sometimes my chidren are very davkanik!

It's 10 a.m., dd5 is still asleep since 9 p.m. Tried to wake her twice. Wonder what kind of illness she'll wake up with. Davka today, when I finally have the car to run errands. And davka when she has a playdate coming over and I can't reach the dad to cancel.

Have to go to the American consulate tomorrow and renew passports. Not looking forward to it. You have to get there early, or there is no point, because of the line, and I have to bring the kids for proof. Plus it costs big bucks. We haven't been abroad for 3 years, but just in case...

Chodesh Tov, Imas!

Lisa
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
Lactaid makes OU EggNog?????? That is the best news I have heard all day!!

I LOVE Egg Nog. I wait for it all year round. LOL But we only do Cholev Yisroel - and no one makes that. I have tried to find various pareve soy egg nogs, but they never seem to have any - at least around here. I will look for the lactaid kind.... I have tried making it myself, but it is never as good.

And I am sorry Rivka, my MIL really does not cook. There are a few things she does well, but a big Turkey dinner is definitely not among them. But then again she doesn't eat either. She had a weight problem many problem many years ago, and lost it all - on her own. But has weighed about 95 lbs as long as I have known her. She never eats before 4PM (thus our late T-day dinner), just drinks coffee/water all day. Then she normally eats yogurt or a salad for dinner. I have never seen her eat dessert - not even birthday cake, or anything else. I have no idea how she does it. So we have a "low-fat" T-day. The turkey is not basted and dries out. She does make stuffing -just boiled farfel. No potatoes. Just some steamed vegetables and salad. You can see why I have to make it again on Friday. LOL The ONLY good thing is that it is all Kosher, so we can eat and we don't have to have that battle.

Also, I feel like I am saying all these harsh things about my MIL - I get that way this time of year about her. I don't like saying Lashon Hara about her. She really is a lovely woman. She is a typical mainstream upper middle class Jewish woman. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. We just have different lifestyles and values. She adores my children and they adore her. She is a hard worker and a loving wife and mother, and really does try and do her best.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
Did you know that there was a kabalistic rabbi who, when asked for a bracha on the marriage of one of his students, offered him these two pearls.

Indulge in two things in a marriage, said the rabbi. Intercourse and food.

This is just about as good a definition for a successful marriage as any I've ever heard.

:
:

Love it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I'm not a huge eggnog fan in general but the idea of pareve soy eggnog strikes me as kind of .... icky. Sorry.

I'm in a weird mood this morning. Was up very late last night working and the baby is teething madly so he was up many times in the night. The mixture of several awakenings and him basically using my breast as a teether make for a tired mommy, but I've taken a hit of caffeine (read...mug full of milky Elite instant coffee..yumm) so I'm bouncing around a bit.

I am taking a vacation today and SENDING OUT MY LAUNDRY. This is a treat I allow myself rarely but I figured, what the heck, it's Rosh Chodesh and the mounds of it were really starting to stress me out. It will come back to me folded and all I'll have to do is put it away. This frankly is my definition of luxury. I'd rather send out the laundry than even pay someone else to clean my bathroom (although I wouldn't mind that either but it's very rare that I can afford both!).

I exchanged something in Target the other day and got this Skirt and I just love it. It's long enough (sits low on the hips) to be plenty tznius, and the cut is really nice. I feel good in my clothes today...got the black and am wearing black opaque tights and black loafers, and a white ribbed turtleneck. For a change I do not feel dumpy. I may go back and get another color (brown) just because. At the store they're $19.99 not $22.99.

I don't love the cold weather but I love tights season. For some reason they're much more comfy on me than regular stockings, and I love being able to do the monochrome thing -- black tights, black skirt, black shoes or brown, kwim? It feels slimming to me or something. Okay maybe it's a reach but we all gotta feel good in our clothes somehow, right?
 
41 - 60 of 527 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top