Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in658994.shtml

Quote:
Rick Howell also thought a mistake had been made when he received his notification last August. He's 47 and disabled from an accident he suffered in the military.

"I can't run anymore. If somebody was shooting at me and chasing me I couldn't run away from them. I can't, you know, if I lift anything more than 30 or 40 pounds, I literally, the rod in my arm tingles," says Howell.

He joined the Army in 1981, and became a helicopter pilot. He flew along the DMZ in Korea. Finally, in 1997, after almost 16 years of active service, he retired.

"My goal was to move back and get that life that I never had because for 16 years the Army," says Howell. "I mean, I gave the Army my life. Of course, you know, I wanted a family, you know. I wanted to marry someone and to settle down and to have a home."

And so he did. His son was born two months ago. Going back into the Army would be a major inconvenience, to say the least.

What is he going to do if he has to go to Iraq?

Well, now how can ANYONE tell me we won't be seeing a draft coming......

Hold on to your babies (any age) and husbands......

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

First its the retired service people, wounded retired service people...then its civilians being called for their turn at proving their patriotism in a war that makes noooo sense.

Are you (american citizen you) going to give over your sons, daughters, husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, grandmothers, grandfathers et al to fight a war of greed, power and oil!

If anyone thinks the USA is in Iraq because they are guilty of terrorism is a shade too gulable. Read news from other news sources beyond your own borders, with an open mind.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Well, I am a big bee-otch. I hope there is a draft, and I hope everyone who voted for Bush either has to go to Iraq or has their spouse/sibling/loved one go. After all, they would be fighting for freedom and justice and THE AMERICAN WAY, right? So they'd be totally proud to die over there, or have their spouse killed and raise their kid(s) alone and tell them daddy is dead because he was saving the world.

WTF-ever. This is not like WWII.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Well, I am a big bee-otch.

Yes, wouldn't it be lovely if the ones who voted for this Crime family were the first to get drafted? Unfortunately the opposite will happen. This "war" will be going on for decades (I am afraid.) They are going to need fresh bodies. I am going to have some kind of an exit plan for my children.......meaning we will get the hell out of here!!!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yes I watched the congressional vote on the Rangel Bill. When the Congressional Republicans pointed fingers and called Charlie Rangel cynical and the Dems fear-mongers, when they voted down that draft bill, I knew something was up. And I know I am right. I am a mother...I KNOW when something is up.

They are recalling these older folks because they WANT the masses to start an outcry FOR a draft.

Well they can piss in the wind because it will have the same results and come back on them. Oh it will not appear as the last one, so may not even be called a draft per se. It will be more like a survey of skills and being recruited for that skill, but there will be no declining service. That's just my conclusions based on things I have read and my opinion.

They've learned much from Watergate: they will NEVER be caught in the continuing wrongdoing in which they choose to be engaged- ANYTHING for power and to WIN- and they have also learned much from that last draft to never do it like that- in the same way- again. Also, just my opinion.

No one can say they have not studied and planned this for a very long time.

They cannot have my children. They will have to literally torture and kill me first to get near my kids.

Joyce in the mts.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I have no doubt that many of our peers and children will die in this war if it continues, as it seems it will. Already I have lost one childhood playmate.

Joyce, I agree. I will never let children of mine (I use "mine" loosely) be drafted. I wonder what to do if it comes to the draft? I have no intention of leaving this land, even if the USA still continues to occupy it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but these people are not being "drafted"..they are members of the reserves..Even if they went on inacitve status, they orignally VOLUNTEERED for this job, no matter how many years ago..And as I reall, the latest bit of legislation mentioning the "draft" was voted down in the Senate and the House but it had orignally been sponspered by Rangle ( DEM NY)...I think he even voted against his own bill....I do not see how this can be contrused as a "draft" .. Blast away, just give me a second to get that flame retardent suit on

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marg of Arabia
I know I am thick headed on Monday mornings....could you explain this sentence to me?

Thanks!

Maybe she means the land of her foreparents, who lived there before the so-called founding fathers saw fit to proclaim it as theirs?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but these people are not being "drafted"..they are members of the reserves..Even if they went on inacitve status, they orignally VOLUNTEERED for this job, no matter how many years ago.
Yes, and they served their time!!! Many were injured!!!! This is a draft in my eyes.

You are really fooling yourself if you believe we have an "all volunteer" military...

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marg of Arabia
I know I am thick headed on Monday mornings....could you explain this sentence to me?

Thanks!

No problem, Marg. I'm Tsalagi and we have our own land and nation within USA borders and we consider ourselves very much attached to the land (see Deloria, Martin-Hill, Churchill and/or Gunn Allen for an indepth analysis of self/land), and therefore, even though I am completely appalled by USA action (well, and more, but that's another post entirely) I don't feel like I can up and move to another country even if it may be safer for me in the longrun. Or, in other words, no matter who runs the government or what the country calls itself I imagine myself to always be in this physical space.

Does that make sense?
It's early on a Monday for me as well.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish
This war will continue for decades if we let it. As far as I am concerned we all have blood on our hands now.
How can we not let it? Just an honest question - I would LOVE to help stop the war.

So what can we do? Election did not seem to work, protests are being ignored - maybe I am just an ignorant fool, but I DO NOT KNOW what I can do.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I can't find a link to it, but I heard on the radio that some GI's who have been injured are not being retired as in prior conflicts. They are redeploying soldiers with prosthetics! So apparently, once you volunteer, you are at their mercy the rest of your life, even the loss of a limb is not enough.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by irinam
How can we not let it? Just an honest question - I would LOVE to help stop the war.

So what can we do? Election did not seem to work, protests are being ignored - maybe I am just an ignorant fool, but I DO NOT KNOW what I can do.
What we have to do is weigh the costs and decide just how much we are willing to risk to end this war and, if it is still possible, discouraged terrorist revenge for our terrorist aggression. I mean, this is something that each of us will have to do. What forms of civil disobedience are available to us? How much are we willing to escalate the opposition here at home? Will we have an underground railroad of soldiers who won't go back? Are you willing to risk fines, prison, your life? There are tons more options available to us, the problem is that we are unlikely to take any of them seriously until the risks to our personal freedom and safety are much greater.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphaba
Well, I am a big bee-otch. I hope there is a draft, and I hope everyone who voted for Bush either has to go to Iraq or has their spouse/sibling/loved one go.
Well, we know who'se going to be the cannon fodder, and it won't be the kids of priviliged suburbanites and "security moms" who voted for Bush. It's going to be the kids of the poor who don't have the financial resources to go to college and who have few economic opportunities aside from joining the military.

The Bush tax cuts for the wealthy policies seem specifically designed to destroy the middle class in America and eliminate opportunities for the poor to participate in the American Dream of bettiring their socio-economic status through hard work. I believe the effect is supposed to be an endless supply of soldiers without re-instituting a formal draft. However, news reports indicate that recruiters are having a hard time meeting quotas even so.

I guess the Bushies will just have find ways to slam the middle class a little harder in order to get soldiers for their pre-emptive wars.

--AmyB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.