Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I mentioned this book in another thread. I thought most of you had heard of this. It is really a fabulous book for helping to explain the developmental phases and coinciding fussy periods. I don't enjoy all the quotes from the mums but, overall is very well written and a great guide to your child's developmental phases. It talks about fussy periods and when to expect them. It's been bang on.

I just figured toher mum might like the heads up as far as what to expect and how long this fussy stuff lasts.

It doesn't espouse a particular type of parenting but, it does encourage responsiveness. It also has great ideas to help your little one through the phases. Games, songs, little activities.

The Wonder Weeks by Hetty Vanderijt and Frans Plooij

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...640929?ie=UTF8

·
Registered
343 Posts
I agree about this book! It provides a good description of some of the major developmental "leaps" that babies make, and the impact it has on them and on their parents. Basically, it is kind of a more in-depth analysis of the "it is just a phase" comment, and it explains why some behaviors (like wanting to be held all the time, having trouble sleeping, etc.) are completely normal.

The doctors who write this book are purely descriptive--they do not make any recommendations about what you "should" do during a developmental stage (except to suggest games and activities to do with baby).

However, as the op stated, the book also has quotes from parents about their children during these stages. Some of these quotes seem very negative to me, and some suggest things I don't agree with (My child was so fussy, I had to put her to bed??????... whatever that means). But these quotes are easy to ignore and the rest of the info is very valuable.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
It's funny that the three of us who have posted on this thread all have babies around the same age. Ben is 23 weeks today and headed into the 26-week leap. I love this book - wish I'd had it for the earlier kids. ITA about the parent quotes, though, ugh.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're in the trials of the week 19 leap. It literally started yesterday... the day of her 19th week. She will NOT settle at night and she has been SUCH a wonderful sleeper. Argh. She cries as soon as I am out of her sight and wants to be held constantly. Moody too. I hope this goes quickly. I am so worn out.
:
:

Hey, at least I know what's coming at me. I wish we had it with DS....

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
This book rocks!

I agree that some of the quotes are pretty stupid, but I love the sections for activities to promote the next leap. It puts the developmental process into perspective and helps me be more patient when dd is going through a tough phase.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I actually found out about the Wonder Weeks here, and whenever dd goes through a fussy phase, I pull out the ol book, and sure enough, she's about a week away from one of the Wonder Weeks. I can't TELL you how it's helped me keep my sanity! (Dd went through the first Wonder Week before I got the book, and I thought my cheery happy baby was gone forever. So glad to know these are only phases!
)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.