Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to start charting. Is it best to buy a basal body thermometer?...how are they different from regular digital thermometers? Thanks for the help, as I still have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
For charting you will absolutely need a basal thermometer. It has tenths of a degree increments, while fever thermometers go up by degree.
I found mine in the family planning isle of the drug store. Not expensive.
You'll also want to do some reading. I started with the online book at www.fertilityfriend.com. Many people here chart on fertility friend as well. Then you can share your charts and get advice.
Taking Charge of Your Fertility is the "bible" for charting, and a good read.

Good Luck!
gisele

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico DeMouse View Post
I'm curious -- if you have a digital thermometer that is calibrated to the tenths of a degree, is that the same as a basal thermometer?
That is what I wondered too....I did buy a basal for $10 so it was the same price, but I was just curious.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I used a few different brands of regular non-bbt thermometers with tenth of a degree readings and didn't like them. They just didn't feel that accurate to me. My charts just look much "nicer" after I switched to a bbt.

I second TCOYF (book recommended above) and fertilityfriend.com for charting. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts