Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
That's terrific!!! He must have been horrified.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
OMG what a relief!! I've been praying for that little boy and his family. I have an 11 yr. old cousin who is a scout as well so this really hit home as he just returned home from a scout campout.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chersolly
Yeah!

Now they can move on to the next missing white child or white woman.

Yeah, that was called for. Didn't know it was offensive to look for a missing child. But then I also forgot everything that happens in this country is based on race, not saying we don't have our problems but come on. Or wait, everything on mothering is about race.
(where is that flip off smilie? do we have one of those in the works yet??)

While a critique of the system may be called for....this thread ain't it.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Quote:

Yeah!

:

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Quote:

Yeah!

OH MY.....

OTOH - what a great thing for the family & it's nice to see the community come together

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Quote:

Yeah!

He shouldn't have been found because he is white???? Wow.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Oh, calm down, people. Nowhere did she say or even imply it was any less a good thing because he was white.

It was just an irreverent topical crack. Didja see the little "mischief" smiley? I don't think anyone should take it seriously.

I snorted when I read it
:

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
HI!

I am glad he has been found...I feel for the family whose daughter is missing in Aruba!

, but related...

Alot of the talkshows here in LA are saying that the parents must be crazy to have told their son NOT to talk to strangers...that he was so afraid of strangers that he avoided anyone who was looking for him...the little boy climbed up a tree and looked down at the search parties looking for him.

I even heard one host say the boy looked "retarded or autistic" because of the way the little boy waved at the cameras...

: The poor thing is dehydrated and starving after being in the wilderness for four days...
: How well would anyone wave after such an ordeal?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by applejuice
Alot of the talkshows here in LA are saying that the parents must be crazy to have told their son NOT to talk to strangers...that he was so afraid of strangers that he avoided anyone who was looking for him...the little boy climbed up a tree and looked down at the search parties looking for him.
I just read that in the second article that was posted! And to think, he could have been found that much sooner if he hadn't been hiding. It makes me sad to think about what his parents told him that would make him that scared to find help when he is lost and alone in the woods. We should send them some DeBecker books. I'm glad the little boy is okay.

From the article:
"The boy said he kept two thoughts in mind, both of them instructions from his parents: Never leave a trail and never talk to strangers. So, when people on horseback appeared on his trail Tuesday, Brennan pulled off the path and out of view until they passed."

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Some people really drill the fear into their children.

Quote:
The parents said they do not plan to push Brennan for answers about his time in the woods and referred reporters to Christensen. The couple said their son was born prematurely and described him as immature and a little slow, although not mentally disabled.
Maybe the boy wasn't ready for an excursion like this one.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I am so glad he is safe!

jayayenay said:
I just read that in the second article that was posted! And to think, he could have been found that much sooner if he hadn't been hiding. It makes me sad to think about what his parents told him that would make him that scared to find help when he is lost and alone in the woods. We should send them some DeBecker books. I'm glad the little boy is okay.

: Kids need to know that you have to talk to strangers - it's really ok. I wonder what exactly he could have been told about strangers or asking for help?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts