Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to my eighteen yr. old niece yesterday. She is 37 wks preg and has walking pneumonia. She spent all day Monday in the doc's office doing some testing and just being sick and pregnant. She said that at first they were going to induce her, but she resisted that. (her words: "maybe we should think about this") Then they came back and gave the walking pneumonia diagnosis and said they didn't want to induce. She told me that they "wouldn't allow" her to breastfeed if she'd been induced then b/c of the walking pneumonia.
: Does this make sense? She seems pretty committed to breastfeeding and when I questioned this she said it sounded screwy to her, too. I'm so afraid that because she is young the docs will try to push her into bad choices just to make things easier on themselves.
:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Well, she's lucky to have such a great Aunt. I know nothing about Pneumonia nd how it relates to BFing...would Hales be an appropriate source to turn to?? also contact the LLL. Get all the info you can ASAP to present to Dr.s DOes she have her parents' or partners support??

Research research research, and show the docs she knows her facts and WON'T be pushed around!!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
My only thought is if she's on some med.... but you'd think they wouldn't want her on anything dangerous since she's pregnant....

-Angela

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Is there anyway you can go be with her? Sounds like she could use some support...Is there a doula or anyone who can be with her?
They just don't want to figure out what med.'s are "safe" for a nursing mama when it's easier to give out the scripts they are used to giving.

Encourage her to stay strong in her wishes to breastfeed! I hope she is well again soon.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Personally, I find the phrase "allowed to" is a HUGE red flag when it comes to doctors.

She has control over her body. She determines what it is used for, what goes in to it and so forth.

THEY are not *allowed to* tell her what she can and can't do (breastfeed, be induced, etc.). They can tell her what they recommend and give her options, but they cannot force her to do or not do something.

You can remind her of her rights and basically encourage her to intelligently push back when they treat her in this blatently patronizing and disrespectful way.

Their job is to provide information and options, NOT to control her.

Siobhan

- this is why I get freaked out when prosecuters try to interfere with moms who want to have a vaginal delivery despite their docs recommendations etc. It violates some of our fundamental rights as people.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
My mom's had walking pneumonia often (seriously every freaking year since I can remember!) and while it definatly sucks, I can't think of anything that would interfer with nursing. Is she on meds? My mom never took meds for it (don't know if that's smart or not, lol) and just layed in bed sleeping for a week. Since newborns do nothing but nurse, sleep and go potty, I don't think that would hinder her recovering.

Can you be with her when she delivers? She's going to need everyone she can to get to nurse if she's delivering in the hospital and they feel she shouldn't nurse! Stupid doctors...

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
pardon me, but that's bullpoopy.

unless there are pharmaceutical medications she is taking that might be dangerous to baby (but i can't imagine they would give that kind of medication to a pregnant mama either), breastfeeding will be great for baby. the immune system factors her system is producing will pass through her breastmilk and make her baby immune to any illnesses mama is or has been exposed to, even active infections. so in actuality, her baby would be more likely to contract pneumonia if she DOESN'T breastfeed and offers artificial baby milks instead because it won't get any of those immune system factors.

if you are unable to be with her, can you help her find a lactation consultant in her local area that will be able to provide her with correct information relating to breastfeeding during a mother's illness? maybe an LC who has a good bedside manner with care providers and physicians that can be a middle person of sorts?

and tell her to rest, rest, rest and take it easy herself so her body can heal from this pneumonia and get ready for baby's birth and the sleeplessness that comes after...

~claudia

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Sounds strange.... Why could she take the med if she is pregnant, but not if she is nursing? Treatment for pneumonia is usually only for a few days, anyway. Can't a different antibiotic be used? There are so many. Is she requiring steroids or something? (I have no idea if steroids are compatable w/ bfing or not) Even then, couldn't she pump and dump for the few days if delivery coincides with treatment? I don't see any reason why she would have to give up bfing for something as minor as pneumonia...

·
Registered
444 Posts
The doctors she's seeing sound very authoritarian, and I would hate that, especially with such a young mama susceptible to the pressure.

However, there are many medications that are safe in pregnancy, and not safe to breastfeed with and vice versa. The placenta filters very differently than the kidneys, and there are a few medications that pass easily to breast milk that do not pass through a placenta. I'm not sure which antibiotic they would be using that would fit into that criteria -- Erythromycin or Zithromax are common treatments for walking pneumonia -- category B for pregnancy, category L3 for lactation in early BF'ing. Also, some medications are more risky for a brand new nursling than a 3 month old.

Hugs to her, and hope all is well before baby pops!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
That's just silly. I had walking pneumonia at the end of DD#2's pregnancy. I was still able to nurse when she was born.

Tell her to rest up and tell those Doctors to work *with* her, not against her.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
She's only 37 weeks pregnant and the treatment for pneumonia only takes a few days? If it's absolutely necessary to treat the pneumonia (instead of her just resting for a week like the PP's mom did) why not just treat it *now* with something that's safe for pregnancy and it'll be long gone from her system by the time the baby thinks of showing up.

I'm really not understanding the doctor's "reasoning" on this one.
First they wanted to induce labor and then treat the pneumonia, but the treatment would make it so that she couldn't breastfeed.
Now they don't want to induce labor because of the pneumonia.

Man! Tell your niece to keep her pants on at all future visits, especially during week 40! These sure sound like "let me just check down there *gush* oh, look your water broke!" types.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
She's only 37 weeks pregnant and the treatment for pneumonia only takes a few days? If it's absolutely necessary to treat the pneumonia (instead of her just resting for a week like the PP's mom did) why not just treat it *now* with something that's safe for pregnancy and it'll be long gone from her system by the time the baby thinks of showing up.

I'm really not understanding the doctor's "reasoning" on this one.
First they wanted to induce labor and then treat the pneumonia, but the treatment would make it so that she couldn't breastfeed.
Now they don't want to induce labor because of the pneumonia.

I wasn't understanding that, either. Wouldn't the pneumonia be treated by delivery (provided she delivered at full term or past) I do not normally care for ob patients, mostly elderly. Most of the elderly (who have multiple other problems) are in and out of the hospital within 3 days for pneumonia. They get some IV antibiotics around the clock, Oxygen therapy, maybe some IV fluids to help thin the secretions. But then they go home. Does she have some other health issues that would be of concern? I had friends who were treated for pneumonia while pregnant. But of course, their health status may be different.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I think you should definitely be there at the birth to support her. I was demeaned and belittled by my previous OB and also by hospital staff because of my young age ( I'm 21, delivered my first last year when I was 20 ). Even though I am married, it made no difference to them. It makes me sick and very sad for this girl. They have no right to treat her like a guinea pig just because she's young and impressionable! But if someone isn't there to guard her, that's what will happen.

·
Premium Member
24,385 Posts
Bullpoopy as TurboClaudia said.

I had walking pneumonia a coupl eof years ago. They put me on an albuterol nebulizer (I also have asthma) and gave me a Zithromycin pack and sent me on my way. 3 days later I was fine.

Walking pneumonia is somewhere in between bronchitis and pneumonia...so not as serious as full blown pneumonia, but could go there rapidly.

Albuterol is safe for BFing...and if Zithromax isn't, there are other antibiotics that would be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts