Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Mommy isn't there to clean up after me. Nor is there a magical cleaning fairy. I must be the one to get those socks from the hamper to the sock drawer.<br><br>
2. Let stuff pile up, it gets overwhelming. And wastes my weekend/evening.<br><br>
3. Keeping stuff neat and organized actually allows me to be lazy.<br><br>
4. Being lazy allows me to spend more time with my kids and do fun stuff because I'm not hunting down the karate uniform, baseball uniform, dance outfit (insert here) 30 minutes before we have to leave only to find it is noticeably dirty (like food or something on it) or mildewing in the washer or that the violin's string is broken right before the lesson and either we don't have spares of that size or not really enough time to change it.<br><br>
5. We don't have to get it done all in one day. Really. Don't kill yourself and give up and throw in the towel when it is messy again later that day. If you miss a "daily assignment", it will come around again in a week or so.<br><br>
6. We'd been doing the organizing backwards--buying bins, then deciding what goes in them. This time we are deciding what to keep and then how to store what we love enough (or use enough) to keep.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
That's so right!<br>
Are you a friend of the Flylady or was this your own genius?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had tried and failed at Flylady for years. I just could never keep up with doing the routines as I'd always get interrupted, then run out of time and my family would mess things up faster than I could get to them. Switching to Motivated Moms helped a lot. Checklist rather than routines and schedules. But it is stuff that I'd been told for years and it is finally sinking in. I don't want my children to be embarrased to have friends over or to have to schedule it weeks in advance just so we can get the house into some semblance of order. It is nice to be able to call maintenance and have them come out to fix something right away, rather than not calling for a couple weeks just so I can get the house decent. Our house is presentable, but still far from perfect (museum-like). Maybe one day, if it is in the state it is in now, we'll look at it and say it is trashed. As for now, it is a work in progress. And as soon as we get it the way we like, it'll be time to move again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts