Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to tell my soon to be 13 year old and my soon to be 11 year old that we have no money for their birthday. So no gifts....No cake...no nothing. Hell we may not even have Christmas at this point...Life SUCKS. Things have never been like this... I mean sure with 5 kids it has been tight before but never did I think that I would have to tell my kids that they were not having their birthday let alone no Christmas. Man do I feel like a sucky parent.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
What about a colorful (pens & construction paper) little booklet of activity coupons? One "my turn to choose the movie on tv," one walk with just mom and no siblings to see xmas lights, one go fish tournament, one eat-jam-sandwiches-for-breakfast-instead-of-eggs...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Can you make a cake? I've always done that and was shocked to see how much a cake at the store was- the small ones were 15-18.00 for a regular layer cake- I had no idea they were that much- often baking supplies are on sale around the holidays. Are there any agencies or charities around that will help with Christmas? I wouldn't tell them no Christmas quite yet, see if there are any possibilities first.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
If I can find shipping money....would you be opposed to me sending you baking supplies (unopened and fairly recently bought within the last week or so) and a few craft kits (dollar store stuff though, mostly wooden with paints and glitter and stuff, I can get the crayons and coloring books too to round out the craft kits?)

I'm tight financially too and have 5 kids! We have a common, I want to help if I can but I can't do large amounts of helping, maybe even pen pals between our boys\girls? Sending each other stickers or something and letters to each other or drawings? How about a penpal for their birthday? My son's birthday is on the 12 of this month (he's turning 8).

I so know how you feel right now!

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
I always make our cake with a box of mix and icing; probably costs less than $3.00. If you have a bundt pan (round pan with a large hole in the middle) or can borrow one, and bake it until just cooked, they come out really moist.

If you have a Red Box maybe you could rent a movie for their birthday ($1.08) and make popcorn in a pot on the stove (kernnels are about $1.00, plus veg oil).

Someday this will just be a story, "remember that Birthday when all we had was..."

·
Registered
946 Posts
to you mama!

please let me help in some way. i'd be happy to send off some goodies to your kids or something. i'm so sorry you're finding yourself in this position.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
I always make our cake with a box of mix and icing; probably costs less than $3.00. If you have a bundt pan (round pan with a large hole in the middle) or can borrow one, and bake it until just cooked, they come out really moist.

If you have a Red Box maybe you could rent a movie for their birthday ($1.08) and make popcorn in a pot on the stove (kernnels are about $1.00, plus veg oil).

Someday this will just be a story, "remember that Birthday when all we had was..."

And you can get online and find free codes for REDBOX rentals... we do it all the time, and never pay a dime.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the replies. I will pm my address to those that asked. I am sure my boys would love to get a card or a little something in the mail. I appreciate any and all help offered.

And no I have not told them no Christmas yet. I cant bear the thought of it so in the words of Scarlett O'Hara I will think about that tomorrow.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am pretty sure you could let your church or local schools know about your struggles and you could be added to someone's angel tree. Your kids would never know the gifts were not from you.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
We can figure out how to make this work.

What do your children want/need?

What sizes are they?

Do they mind hand me downs? (As a mam of soon to be 5....I am assuming not
)

We will brainstorm together.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Its okay. It will all be okay, youare nOT a bad parent.

My daughter turned 11 today (Dec 1st) and we didn't have money either. However, I baked a cake and picked up a few movies from hte library. Made her favorite meal and she was ALL smiles

hang in there

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Can I put a box together for one of the boys? I think I'd do better with the "artist" than the "jock" but I'm sure someone else can help out with the other. PM your address and any specifics ( I have a 13 yo, so I may have some hand-me-downs). Does he read? What kind of art? I've had a bad day being grouchy to my students, I'd like to do something nice.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
We can figure out how to make this work.

What do your children want/need?

What sizes are they?

Do they mind hand me downs? (As a mam of soon to be 5....I am assuming not
)

We will brainstorm together.

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))

Nah they dont mind hand-me-downs. I rarely buy new clothes anyway. But they are bigger and hard to fit (DH is 6 foot 8 and they take after him) The jock (aka Briar) is nearly 6foot and wears a 30x32 and mens large shirts. The Atrist (aka Grayson) wears a 32x30 and also wears mens large shirts.

Grayson likes Art and Science. Briar likes sports (football, basketball) He also likes music but since he is like his dad and likes rock I have know idea who they listen to.

Thank you guys for making me smile.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Will se what I can come up with.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.