Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Diabetes runs pretty heavy in both my and dh's family and my FIL was asking if my son (~9months) has been tested.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It got me thinking...</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Are there things I can do or not do at this young age that could help my son from developing either type 1 or type 2 diabetes?</strong></p>
<p>Just doing a quick look on the forums, I've seen theories related to formula/breastmilk, types of formula, cow's milk, vaccines, and.feeding grains.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd love hear about things you've heard, personal experiences, links to studies or articles, and your own thoughts on the topic.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I am diabetic, and my daughter's doctor told me that we should wait on giving her grains, especially glutenous grains, until as close to 2 as possible. She says that the digestive system is better equipped to properly break down grain products and higher carb foods later rather than earlier.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>That's interesting.  I haven't given my boy any grains yet because I'm just generally wary of them.  I would probably eat grain free myself if it wasn't for the convenience/habit factor. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Was it a regular pediatrician or an ND?  Do you have type 1 or 2?</p>

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have <a class="bbcode_url" href="http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_types/diabetes_type_15.php#axzz15DOouozi" target="_blank">LADA or Type 1.5 diabetes</a>. Regular pediatrician in this case, and she did tell me that she feels that, if Cecilia is going to have Type 1, she will get it regardless of the grains or not, but that if she doesn't, she believes it will help with preventing future Type 2.<br><br>
I believe that teaching good eating habits with little to no refined carbs, lots of protein and veggies, and only some fruit will help fight off Type 2 as well.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
<p>I'm a type 1 diabetic the first and only in my family like Cecilias mom I was told my child if she gets it will get it regardless of what shes eats ect..All I can do is give my girls the best education on healthy eatting in hopes of preventing any type 2 diabetes than sadly does run in my family.</p>
<p>  </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts