Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,<br><br>
So my son is 11 months old and I pump while at work 3 days a week. It's always been a big PITA and I have never responded to the pump well so I have to pump like all the time to just get a little milk. Currently I pump 3 or 4 times a day depending on how my work schedule looks that day and I get between 6-8 oz which is about what he consumes while I'm away. He has cut down on bottles since starting solids. He takes 2 bottles most days and 3 some days depending how he feels.<br><br>
I would like to quit pumping, but I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around what happens post pumping. Do I give him milk in a bottle or get rid of bottles all together? If I do give him milk in a bottle will he eventually not want a bottle at all? What if we want to go out to dinner or something should I pump for that milk and will I be able to pump for that or when I am separated from him do I just give him other milk? I haven't decided between cow or goat milk? Any thoughts on that?<br><br>
Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I HUTH at about 11 months for DD. She just didn't want milk that wasn't straight from the tap anymore. She nursed aplenty when I was home, so I figured that was ok. I just made sure she had plenty of solids and water, and all was well. We just did away with the bottles. She was doing sippy cups for water anyway at oh about 9-10 months.<br><br>
WRT going out to dinner, I'd pump maybe if you're going to be out a while and he likes milk to fall asleep to. Otherwise, just stick to solids when you're away nursing when you're back. Since he seems to be ok with solids, there's nothing wrong with that.<br><br>
You don't have to make a decision on milk yet, as long as you're still nursing him a few times a day, you've got some time to make that decision. We offer DD (who's nearly 21 months) cow milk, but she doesn't seem to drink too much of it. (a sip here and there). She's really a water or tea gal.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I could have written your post!<br><br>
Slowly eliminate one bottle at a time. Does he take a bottle to go down for a nap? If so, then work on eliminating the other ones first. Replace those w/solid meals.<br><br>
For example, Nora (14 mo) still takes one 4 oz bottle of bm for her nap. I'm about to HUTH myself and switch her to soymilk until MIL can get her to sleep w/o the bottle. But I also pack food for her during the day - two meals and a snack. Plus she grazes on things like raisins. I'm amazed at how well it's all worked out. We're all much happier!<br><br>
(If you decide to use cows or goats milk during the day and you're going out to dinner, of course you can pump for that feeding but I'm not sure you'd get a whole feedings worth. Especially if it's been awhile since you stopped pumping. If I were to leave Nora to go out, I'd give her the soy b/c there's just no way I could pump 4-5 oz a few hours before leaving her!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts