Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure what to do. DD is 18 months old and a fairly high needs baby. Lately she has been wanting to nurse very frequently during the day - like every hour - and then sometimes will want to nurse again after just 10 minutes (not due to any type of external "trama" like a small fall or minor frustration). Granted, there could be something else going on (teething? learning?). Here is the problem - I am starting to get really tired of the constant need to nurse. Sometimes I just really dont' want to nurse and so, while nursing, am feeling resentful and frustrated with her which doesn't seem to be good for either of us. Oh - and when I am not around, she is totally fine and has no issues at all (i work part time). On days taht I am around, like the weekend, she seems to want to nurse all day long. ugh.<br><br>
So, i have been thinking about trying partially wean but I have no idea how to do that. Do I go to only twice per day so she will understand that we only nurse in the morning and at night? Otherwise, how does she know when it's time to nurse and when it isn't...she can't distinguish between noon and 2:00. Or, maybe I shouldn't wean at all - i don't know.<br><br>
Anyone started down this road? Anyone have any advice?<br><br>
(x-posted in toddlers)

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't wean at all at that age. They're just needy. Nursing tons is a symptom, not the problem. You want to have that tool in your tool box- trust me- not have to say no it's not ____ time, we won't nurse now.<br><br>
-Angela

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Could she be getting her 2-year molars? My son was no longer nursing at that age, but he was very difficult and needy around 18 months, I think partly because of the molars. Actually, I think a lot of toddlers are really needy at that age in general ... maybe you will get some ideas on the toddler forum.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE!!!<br><br>
I find that if we are active and not inside our house DD who is 10 months nurses way less.<br><br>
I also have to agree toddlers are very needy, but still need to nurse.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That age was tough for us, too.<br><br>
I found that any time I sat on the floor to play with DD, she would hop in my lap and ask to nurse.<br><br>
I ended up choosing a few places where we nurse -- this chair, bed, etc. If dd wanted to nurse, she'd have to stop what she was doing, and come with me to one of those places. She still nursed alot, but it wasn't on and off every 10 minutes for hours, which really helped.<br><br>
-Michlele

·
Registered
603 Posts
I definitely think it is okay to set limits, but cutting down to twice a day is too much and you may set yourself up for more frequent night nursing or weaning completely, which would not benefit your dd Toddlers are definitely needy creatures and I noticed a huge increase in nursing with ds3 in just the last few weeks. If I just finished nursing him and then he comes back for more 10-15 minutes later, I just say no, not now and see if he can be distracted with something else. If he insists, then of course, I will nurse him again. Sometimes he is fine with doing something else and other times, he won't settle for anything other than the boob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts