Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in my mother's house. She doesn't mind as long as we take care of it of course. My mom has a retriever mix that she wants to get rid of but I said I would take care of it and I have a lhasa apso. I am thinking about getting another small dog. I know a lady who does small dog rescue and I think she might have suckered me into it. I want one and the kids want another one. For you dog lovers out there, besides the food and vet issues, are there other things to consider that may have slipped my mind in all the cuteness?

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Well, moving to 3 tends mean you'll have a pack, so be prepared for significantly more work when it comes to maintaining the respect of the new dog and the other dogs.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
There are also breed-specific issues in the small dogs. Toys are not automatically pack dogs; they tend to think of themselves as solitary royalty and they get funny breed prejudices. What breed/gender/age are you thinking of bringing in, and what are the genders/ages of the current dogs?

I may be misunderstanding you, but is the rescue person actually pushing you to take a dog? That sends red flags right there; good rescues try everything to convince you NOT to take a dog. They should never want a dog to go to a home that isn't both prepared and eager.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking for a shih tzu for the longest time. The rescue put us on hold to find a dog that would do well with small kids and that was over 6 months ago. I don't feel like she was pressuring me. The dogs we have now get along well. I guess that's a question I need to ask the rescue.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218
Well, moving to 3 tends mean you'll have a pack, so be prepared for significantly more work when it comes to maintaining the respect of the new dog and the other dogs.
Can you expand on this? I have definitely planned on adding another dog to the family in a few years. If it's a horrible idea though, then I want to get it out of my mind completely.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i own 8 dogs of all sizes, including one lhasa and one shih tzu. the most important thing to remember is to make sure the new pup knows you are the boss. i would advice to keep your new pup on a lead until WELL trained and in a kennel when you must leave. my dogs greet a new dog better when i intorduce it little at a time. in my experience they prefer older/teen dogs to puppies. so try to keep that in mind also. one more bit of advice, introduce them at a place all the dogs have been but don't "own". to make it even less stressful for the pups, introduce only one at a time. it usually cuts back on them being defensive and scared. good luck and hope my advice helps a little.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I would google search "pack mentality" or "dog pack mentality" to get more information. The first thing I read when reading your OP is pack mentality. I wouldn't have more than two dogs. My dh thinks more than one dog is asking for trouble if you have kids. We disagree so so far have had two cats, and will likely add one dog when dd3 is five.

I don't know if pack mentality is as much of an issue with smaller dogs, but I'd never have three medium or large dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts