Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my husband and I have used condoms for years and years and years (and the fact that we get knocked up AS SOON as we stop is a testament to both our fertility and their effectiveness)... my one attempt at going on the pill made me completely insane, depressed, and set off a 7 year struggle with chronic vulvar pain. So, hormonal birth control is out.

Eventually, my husband will get a snip snip, but for now I'm thinking about the IUD. I never got one pre-Dylan because my gyn said it was hard to place for women who hadn't had a prior pregnancy, and after Dylan we knew we would be having another nipper within the next couple years.

Anyone have experience with them? Do you know about how long I'd want to wait after delivering to have one put in? I know they can cause increased cramping and bleeding, but I've never had much trouble with those things in the past, so have a wider margin of tolerance than others might.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Hubby is supposed to be snipped by then, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet. We use pull out otherwise, but with four kids in the house, he is most likely still going to find time to finally put a rush order on that snip!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
IUDs make me very nervous--the possible side effects include infection causing infertility, perforation of the uterus, painful embedding in the uterine wall, ovarian cysts.

I don't like the idea of putting chemicals in my body for BC, so all the pills and injections and such are out for us.

We stick to condoms. No side effects, nothing potentially dangerous. They work very well for us too--we got pregnant about 2 seconds after we stopped using them with all 3 babies.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I used to use the pill, but after trying many different brands, I decided they just don't work for me. I experienced a lot of mood swings, increased migraines, and complete loss of libido. In fact, I joke with my SIL who had a similar experience that that's how they keep you from getting pregnant--you pretty much just don't want sex!

We just use condoms. Not ideal, but not hormonal, either.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I had the Mirena prior to this pregnancy, and I'm probably getting it again afterwards, even though dh is also planning a vasectomy. If I'm not mistaken, they can insert it at your 6wk pp visit. I got mine about 3 mos post partum I think, because I was procrastinating. I found the insertion rather unpleasant, and did have cramps for a few months after, but after that it was great. It actually reduced both the cramps and the length and um...volume of my period. The months between having it removed and getting pregnant were not fun, which is why I'm strongly considering getting it again, vs a tubal or just relying on dh's snip. The Mirena DOES have a tiny amount of hormones; I never noticed any negative side effects that could be attributed to them though. I've taken the pill before, and it was NOTHING like that mess.

·
Registered
208 Posts
How funny--someone just yesterday was explaining the IUD to me. I have never given various b.c. methods much thought because we have always used FAM--charting, etc. (with condoms as a barrier method on the fertile days) and it has worked great both to avoid pregnancy and to achieve pregnancy. BUT... I am so afraid of being pregnant again anytime soon (two pukey pregnancies in three years) that I would kind of like something that has an even less user error to keep my mind at ease, especially while nursing when the cycles are a bit wacky. I'm been thinking about the diaphragm... anyone use that/have opinions on that?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Oh this is not something I want to think about but should. My husband wants kids into our 40's and he wants a large family. I was ok with this till this pregnancy. Never has it been so hard on me and I am only 27 years old. So now I am wondering. In 9 years charting my cycle has worked to plan our children, but it failed once. This baby! It should not have been possible. I should have ovulated 4 days before hubby even got home. Seems stress kept that from happening on time. So now I wonder, is it back to condoms for us too? Everytime hubby goes to a war zone he wants more children, I call it the mortal effect. We do not use BC for many reasons since we got married but something........ I am not sure what all I can handle and no sex is not an option. LOL He is such a hotty!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've come to the realization that hormonal BC is NOT for me. I've had years of depression and anxiety that were hormone induced that I don't even want to go back to the NuvaRing, which was the one I had the least side effects with. I'm terrified of Mirena because of the hormones and my family risk of reproductive cancers. I don't really want to get my tubes tied either and condoms just don't feel right after having DD. (Which is partly the reason I'm pregnant now.) Has anyone actually used "Taking Charge of your Fertility"? I've heard a lot about it, but not actually gotten a copy.

Anna

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I don't know, putting a piece of metal or a piece of plastic that lets off hormones inside somewhere where only a baby should be makes me kind of freaked out
:

We use charting, condoms, avoid on fertile days, my husband takes Neem and we use Neem oil.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Da WIC Lady View Post
Has anyone actually used "Taking Charge of your Fertility"? I've heard a lot about it, but not actually gotten a copy.
Yes! That is FAM (Fertility Awareness Method). I highly recommend it. But... while nursing, I don't have as much confidence in using it since cycles are sometimes less predictable.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I don't use Mirena but I know two people who do and they really like it-they were on the pill before. Both said it was a little uncomfortable to get put in and took a month or two to stabilize their periods but now they can't imagine not using it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maclolo View Post
I'm been thinking about the diaphragm... anyone use that/have opinions on that?
We have been using the diaphragm for a few years. We started because I wanted something that wasn't hormonal and we weren't too happy with condoms. I will say that I find it to be a bit of a pain sometimes (having to stop to go put it in, etc) which, for us, led to laziness which led to two unplanned pregnancies
. But I think when its used correctly it can be really effective. And once you get used to it, putting it in is really easy.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had an IUD (non-hormonal) inserted at 6 weeks pp after my son was born, had it removed about 6 months before we conceived this babe. I loved it - no hormones and nothing to remember - it was great! Only problem I had was related to my cervix being retroverted - had to go back twice to get the strings cut because DH could feel them!

·
Registered
874 Posts
We're going to go with the old punch in the nose. "Get away from me! *punch*"

Nah.. FAM here. It really worked well for us, both for planning and avoiding children. Now I just have to perfect that method of keeping our hands off each other when I'm fertile...for some reason it's not as easy at 31 as it was at 21. Go figure

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Okay, I had the Mirena IUD. First, I did have crampy and an irritated feeling where my uterus is for the first month. It felt like an itch you just can't scratch and it drove me crazy! I was close to getting it taken out when it finally went away. I had light bleeding, like pp bleeding for the first month as well, maybe even 5-6 weeks, I don't remember for sure. Got it at 3 or 4 months pp. My cycles were lighter but got longer and longer (up to 10 days of spotting in a month). It was starting to really bother me and I was considering getting it out after 18 months or so. But then we got pregnant. I miscarried (the chance of miscarrying when you get pregnant with an IUD is around 50%, chances of birth defects are really high.) Anyway, I wouldn't do it over again if I had the chance.

I'm pretty much out of birth control options, so no idea what we'll do. But I've got a year or so without hubby left, so for now I'm not worrying about it.

I am only slighly concerned about his R&R. I know some of you will gasp when you read this, but I know us, and if all goes easy with the birth, I'm sure we will be dtd within a week after bith (did the second time and it was awesome!) Now I wasn't concerned about this at all until a friend here started badgering me telling me I better not get pregnant again while he's home. Seriously, my cycle didn't come back until 7 and 12 months pp, so I feel pretty confident that I can't really get pregnant during that time, right? What do you all think?

Kimmy, I've heard that there is this thing that mw's swear by, it's a war phenomenon, been happening for ages. You can be as regular as anything, but when your dh comes back from an extended time away, your body automatically starts ovulating. It's nature's way of keeping the planet going. I have a friend who is regular as anything and got pregnant twice when her husband was home for a leave or for good after a long time away. Once she was 4 days from starting her next cycle (had already ovulated a week prior to him coming home) and the next time, she was just a few days into her cycle and shouldn't have been ovulating for another week or two, but they were only together once (it was a quick reunion). So, be extra careful when he comes back home again.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post
Kimmy, I've heard that there is this thing that mw's swear by, it's a war phenomenon, been happening for ages. You can be as regular as anything, but when your dh comes back from an extended time away, your body automatically starts ovulating. It's nature's way of keeping the planet going. I have a friend who is regular as anything and got pregnant twice when her husband was home for a leave or for good after a long time away. Once she was 4 days from starting her next cycle (had already ovulated a week prior to him coming home) and the next time, she was just a few days into her cycle and shouldn't have been ovulating for another week or two, but they were only together once (it was a quick reunion). So, be extra careful when he comes back home again.

This is why I almost think I'm due to pop any day now. DH came home like just on the edge of my (by the calender) fertile time. I had some bleeding when I was supposed to have a period, but I had some, but not as much with DD. With the US, I was measuring as if I conceived a month after he got back. Who knows? I just don't want to get pregnant when we move down to LA. I know it's going to be a while, but I really don't want to have any more kids. Especially not so soon after having this DC.

Anna

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
keep in mind,, after 40 NFP just is NOT as effective... TRUST me on this one... but, then again, I have a diaphram baby (DS1) and a condom PGCY(elective term
as well as a NFP with pull out on a non-fertile day with the tail end of my period baby (this one), Evan was planned.. one out of four!! so maybe I'm not the best one to talk about reliability of methods (and YESS I was doing everything to the letter.... I am just bionically fertile, as was my Mom and my sis and aunt and g'ma)... around here, the only safe sex is NO sex... we're sticking with that unless DH gets cut.. his call..

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had the Mirena after DD. I had it in about 10 weeks after she was born. DH hated it because his mom had a bad experience with an IUD in the early 80's, so he doesn't trust them at all. As far as side effects go it was fine for me-I did have that string issue but they poked me-not DH. DH thinks I was more emotional, but I think I was just exhausted as I was working long hours and nursing 2 children. But what I didn't like about it was that it took so to get pregnant after it was removed-unlike my other two. I only had it in for 7 months and it took over a year to get pregnant. I also was on a different board about life after Mirena and it seems like a lot of the ladies were having problems with TTC or mc. So I have no idea what to use now. I can't imagine DH wanting to go back to condoms. Diaphragm maybe? It's not like with 3 kids 4 and under and DH's work schedule we'll have lots of time...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been using a diaphragm since I was about 19 years old (I'm 41) and it's always been effective for me. I took the BC pill for several months, but I forgot to take it regularly. Then, at *the moment* I would remember that I hadn't taken it - in other words, I never forgot that I needed some kind of birth control, but the remembering often happened after I'd missed taking the pill. Additionally, I didn't like the idea of putting those hormones in my body every day.

Now, with a diaphragm, I don't have to anticipate so much - I can put it in up to 2 hours beforehand, and take it out several hours afterward. It does take a little getting used to, but I found it to be a fast learning curve, and once it's in, you should not feel it at all. I've never worried about it coming out (like a sponge) either. And, it's not expensive compared to other forms of BC. Best of all, I've never had an unplanned pregnancy.

When I was a PC volunteer in Costa Rica, I got a prescription for a new one from the PC nurses. I went to the biggest pharmacy in San Jose to get it filled, and they didn't know what I was talking about! They kept trying to give me condoms! When I explained that a diaphragm was used by a woman, not by a man, they explained that "women can carry condoms, too - we live in a modern world." Anyway, I finally wrote to my mom and explained the problem. She went to her Dr., explained the problem to him, and he kindly precribed a diaphragm for her (she was in her 60's at the time, and well past menopause) in my size, which she sent to me
Not useful information, but I was reminded of it by reading the responses here.

Rebekah
~a diaphragm fan.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.