Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I saw this a couple days ago and really think we are going to stick with the extra large carseat with the 5 point harness and the latch system.
I cried through that movie, just imagining if it were my family.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK I just bought my 3 yo DD a booster seat, a Combi. Here's my question: We have an older car that doesn't have the LATCH system so even if I got a carseat with a 5 point harness, they would still be unprotected b/c the carseat is being held in the car by the seatbelt, right? What an incredibly sad story. I want to do what's safest for DD but we can't afford a new car right now, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So sad but maybe it will help others. Great reminder of why we got a Britax for our baby boy in the first place.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiasmom View Post
OK I just bought my 3 yo DD a booster seat, a Combi. Here's my question: We have an older car that doesn't have the LATCH system so even if I got a carseat with a 5 point harness, they would still be unprotected b/c the carseat is being held in the car by the seatbelt, right? What an incredibly sad story. I want to do what's safest for DD but we can't afford a new car right now, that's for sure.
Good point, but i"m thinking this: it's true the seat belt can come unlatched, but then the child is still in the car seat itself. That seems like more protection than being completely free from any restraint. The weight & bulk of the seat itself would be less likely to be ejected from the car?

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
heartbreaking -- too bad the Regent won't fit in our car!

I think seatbelts coming unlatched is relatively uncommon. A more common problem is that the chlid slips underneath the seatbelt because they aren't big enough to be held by it.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I agree, a child would be better in a harnessed seat even if the seatbelt came undone. You can also only use LATCH till 40-48# depending on your vehicle so it's not an answer either for most.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
heartbreaking -- too bad the Regent won't fit in our car!

I think seatbelts coming unlatched is relatively uncommon. A more common problem is that the chlid slips underneath the seatbelt because they aren't big enough to be held by it.
The Regent wouldn't fit in our car either because I needed to do the 3 across thing. So we got a Sunshine Radian and Safeguard Go. It does NOT have to be the Regent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.