Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I am not sure where to post this, so I thought I would start here. I have been thinking of becoming a LC off and on since my oldest was born - seven and a half years of non-stop, and still going, breastfeeding years later I have finally decided to look into it - and it does look like a good career move, but I dont handle change all that well, so I am still just thinking about it. I have worked in Human Services/ Social Work and within the medical field for years. I only work part time (homeschool my kids) anyway - long story not that short - are there any LCs here? Did you set out to do that, or change careers? Are you happy with your choice? Was it a tough change? Advice? TIA!

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if anyone has a better idea of where this should be forum-wise - let me know.

· Premium Member
15,767 Posts
My first piece of advice would be to check out the IBCLC site. http://www.iblce.org/ You can look at the different pathways, see what classes, how many clinical hours you need, etc... The clinical hours is the part that most people have a difficult time with, it can take several years to get all the hours you need in order to sit for the exam. I encourage people to figure out how you are going to get the hours from the beginning. Otherwise you run the risk of taking all your classes, some have to be taken within 5 years of the exam, and then what happens when it does take years to get the hours.

I am not a IBCLC yet, I have all my classes and hours, the only thing I am missing is actually sitting for the exam. I hope to do that this year depending on how many hours I can get to actually study for the exam. Since it is only offered once a year, it does put a deadline on things. This was not a major career change for me, I am an RN and have been doing breastfeeding support for the last 5 years with a volunteer breastfeeding organization. Exam prep is still labor intensive, and is what I am supposed to be working on right now.

A good stepping stone might to be a CLE or CLC, breastfeeding educator or counselor, there is one program (there may be more but I am only familiar with one) that gives you a CLEC, so the best of both. If I am remembering correctly though, that has to be taken within 5 years of sitting for the exam.

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone - i had checked out the guidelines at ibclc - the hours were definitely the only daunting part - fortunately i have a lot of the "background" classes already - phew!! i will go check out the other forum - THANKS!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.