Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone back and forth in my mind about the eventual schooling of my boys (my soon to be 3 year old is the one I have had in mind). At first I thought homeschool but that wasn't because I knew much about it but more because I tend to be disgusted with the establishment. I also think I was just feeling like I wasn't going to want to let go of my child and send him to school. Then I realized that we have in our town a public Spanish Immersion School. My husband is from Spain and he speaks only Spanish to our kids in hopes that they will be bilingual. So far so good. Ds1 usually won't speak spanish but he understands both languages equally. Kids get into this school via a lottery. They have 1/2 day kindergarten, which I love. Every parent that has a child in that school RAVES about how great it is. Parents are very involved there. I am told it has the feel of a private school...but it's free! Also, our finances my necessitate me going back to work when my kids start school.
That was the idea...

Now, I am still leaning back toward homeschool in some ways. Something about the whole "no child left behind" business has always been stinky to me. I HATE HATE HATE hearing about all the testing that goes on. It seems so stressful. Kids have so much homework these days! Then after reading the latest Mothering article about recess, I am so super bummed at school. Of course I don't know how much recess is offered at the Spanish Immersion School.

I have a ways to go before I need to decide anything for my boys regarding school. But I want to think on this one for a while.

Can anyone offer any thoughts?
I know that this is a Homeschooling forum but I would like a balanced view of both ways of schooling. I'd like the goods and the bads about both.

Thanks for sharing...
amy

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well, IMO with responsible, caring, interested, and intelligent parents, homeschooling is almost always best.

On the other hand, you sound like you could potentially really like the Spanish Immersion School! You have specific questions (NCLB, recess, homework) that you could ask of someone in charge. Maybe they have unique ways of handling these issues.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Well, you have the option of sending him for half-day kindergarten and then pulling him out before first grade.

I do wonder, though, about the importance of learning Spanish in school when he's already fluent in the language because it's spoken at home. Is there really anything he can get at school that won't be available via homeschooling? Do you understand Spanish well enough to teach him Spanish grammar with an appropriate textbook?

But then there's the whole financial issue- if you truly need to work, putting the kids in public school might be your best option. I don't know anybody who's HSed and worked without paying for some sort of childcare. Running a home business with kids at home all the time is a real challenge, and not everybody is able to do it without childcare of some sort.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Remember you don't need to make any final decisions right now- you can wait and see what your kids are actually ready for when they're school aged.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Remember that no decision has to be forever. In your situation, I'd probably put my name in the lottery for the school you want, then continue to research homeschooling. Then if you get into the school, unless the additional research into homeschooling has changed your mind, try it out. It's K, it's a 1/2 day, see how he likes it, see how it seems to correspond with your goals & values in reality. If it's not working out, pull him out, since you have a younger child, you're not going to be getting a job the year ds1 is in K anyway, right? So try it out, see how it fits with your family . . . and go from there.

I think w/ so many things in life, we feel like we have to make the PERFECT decision and forget that most things in life can change. If you're not sure, just decide what you want to try first & if it doesn't work, change it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the whole point of a language immersion school is the immersion. My sons are not immersed in the Spanish language here at home. My husband works all day and ds has an early bed time. Quality time happens on weekends when dh is off. That's not enough time with their father to get a really healthy grasp of the language. It is an advantage to have the language spoken in the home to some degree...but it isn't enough to really help them be fluent.

I think I am going to get some books on hsing and the like at the library. I have some time to research it. That'll be where I'll start. I need some good facts in order to make a decision and be confident in it.

Thanks for the help, ladies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.