Mothering Forum banner

Thinking of moving over the border

388 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  WannabeaFarmer
Hi all you Wisconsin mommies!

We are thinking of moving to WI, and wanted to get some feedback. We are looking at Genoa City, Burlington, Lake Geneva, and Pell Lake and Twin Lakes areas. Any of you moms in this area? Advice on locations, doctors in the area, schools? I would really appreciate any guidance you have to offer.

Beth in IL
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Oh, so much to say about this! LOL! Genoa city is cool location wise, but a VERY small town. The schools are great there (i went there) but for anything (ie. shopping, restaurants, etc.) you will have to drive to Lake Geneva anyway! I love it here in Lake Geneva-so beautiful and fun! Twin lakes is nice, but I am not sure of the schools. I as a teenager wasn't impressed with the high school-but that was quite awhile ago. Pell Lake is also VERY small, but the school is good K-8 and only a few hundred kids total! Genoa City, Pell Lake both feed into Lake Geneva Badger High School-great school. I don't know much about Burlington, though except that it always smells like Chocolate!!!
(that is where the Nestle plant is) There are plenty of homes for sale in this area, but you will pay more and get less in Lake Geneva (high demand) unless you are out in the country. Pell Lake has high property taxes (they are on city water/sewer) GC is BORING!!
Lots of great parks and lakes and stuff. Lake Geneva has lots of tourists....

Doctors.....hmmmm well, Ob/gyn wise, there is a CNM and homebirth and VBAC supportive doc team in ELkhorn which is only 15 min north of L.G. Peds are all pretty much the same around here.

DID that help?
See less See more
Yes, Thanks! I am so happy to finally get some response on this.

So.. is your ped. supportive of no vaxing? I hate to leave my current doctor, as he is so supportive and as long as I am bfing, he said not to worry about a thing.

Beth
Well, any doctor has to suggest that you vaccinate, but some are willing to see you as a patient anyway and not push the issue, and some aren't. There is a doc in Delevan that we used to take my dd to and he didn't push the issue. That, at the time, was the best I could hope for. Now we have a doc up in Delafield that promotes and uses holistic and homeopathic remedies as well as traditional meds for those that want it. But, he isn't seeing any new patients right now. So, I can give you the doc's name if you want to private message me. somehow, I worry about giving that info on the internet.
I'm not too fond of Burlington (where I live.) I've found that a lot of the people here are closeminded, but there is a pretty good health food store here (it's small and a little expensive, but has a lot of good stuff.) We couldn't find many houses that we liked in our price range, so we ended up renting instead. There isn't much to do around here, and the moms group around here is kind of stuck up (a lot of the members are, the new President is a ffing mom, and she said in an email that she thinks nip is just like showing your vagina in public.)
I am pretty fond of Delavan. It is centrally located. Not to much of a tourist town(although it is getting much bigger). There are some nice homes, which are somewhat reasonablly priced. Where I live its a rental area( all aparments), but this neighborhood is all kids and older folks, so its really quiet and nice. Plus this area is void of any sex affenders(within at least a few blocks)-my dh and I take that into consideration when finding a place to live what with wisconsin not having a law on how close they can live to parks churches and schools-Check out this site:
http://www.familywatchdog.us/
Other than that, we have an elementary school just a block over and its very nice. Our ped is very supportive on bf'ing and natural remedies. He does however support vax, although he doesnt push you hardcore, he is a member of the am. board of peds. so I dunno. we chose him because he was my dh 1st daughters ped.
Plus Delavan is 45-1hr away from madison(which has a great free zoo) and milwaukee.
We like Lake Geneva too, but the only downfall is the summer traffic, because it is a tourist town. Some days in the summer it takes a very long time(we have spent up to an hour and a half just to get from one side of town to the other down hwy 50), to get through town some days. But other than that Lake Geneva is a nice town. Has a nice natural foods store, kinda small but nice.
It really depends on what type of area you want. The Delavan-Lake Geneva area is nice(there is a La Leche League group in Lake Geneva). The Pell Lake-Twin Lakes area is a bit small but very nice also. The burlington area felt to me(when I lived there)a bit isolated. There are some "cliques" there and you do have to go to Lake Genava for some things.
I also like Elkhorn as well its quaint and very nice and not too far away from stuff, and the schools are great there too.
But all in all walworth-racine county areas are pretty good.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by jess12808
I am pretty fond of Delavan. It is centrally located. Not to much of a tourist town(although it is getting much bigger). There are some nice homes, which are somewhat reasonablly priced. Where I live its a rental area( all aparments), but this neighborhood is all kids and older folks, so its really quiet and nice. Plus this area is void of any sex affenders(within at least a few blocks)-my dh and I take that into consideration when finding a place to live what with wisconsin not having a law on how close they can live to parks churches and schools-Check out this site:
http://www.familywatchdog.us/
Other than that, we have an elementary school just a block over and its very nice. Our ped is very supportive on bf'ing and natural remedies. He does however support vax, although he doesnt push you hardcore, he is a member of the am. board of peds. so I dunno. we chose him because he was my dh 1st daughters ped.
Plus Delavan is 45-1hr away from madison(which has a great free zoo) and milwaukee.
We like Lake Geneva too, but the only downfall is the summer traffic, because it is a tourist town. Some days in the summer it takes a very long time(we have spent up to an hour and a half just to get from one side of town to the other down hwy 50), to get through town some days. But other than that Lake Geneva is a nice town. Has a nice natural foods store, kinda small but nice.
It really depends on what type of area you want. The Delavan-Lake Geneva area is nice(there is a La Leche League group in Lake Geneva). The Pell Lake-Twin Lakes area is a bit small but very nice also. The burlington area felt to me(when I lived there)a bit isolated. There are some "cliques" there and you do have to go to Lake Genava for some things.
I also like Elkhorn as well its quaint and very nice and not too far away from stuff, and the schools are great there too.
But all in all walworth-racine county areas are pretty good.
I just wanted to warn you that the family watchdog site isn't always up to date, so you might want to check other sites as well.
See less See more
Yeah we check the wis state registry too. Thanks for that info..
See less See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts