Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
DH an I are thinking about moving to TN. I have never been anywhere near there. Dh is from AL. I have lived in washington or Oregon all of my life. I wanted to know what part of the state is best. Trees, nice people, good schools, not to expensive, things for families, not to much trafic, no polution ect. I know nothing about TN except I AM A TITAN FAN!!! Please fill me in. We would be moving sight unseen. Maybe someone that has been to washington could tell me some differances. Thank you for your help.
Melanie

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
HUGE differemce betweem wa/or and TN. Also, west tn is very different from east tn. East tn has mountains while west tn is rather flat and nashville is in the middle. DO you want small town or city life? Why TN? My sister lives in olympia and it is soooo different from knoxville (east tn). TN is definitely a red state with some pockets of blue. If you are into seing the titans then I would suggest nashville, but be forewarned about traffic!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Be prepared for major culture shock. I've lived in Oregon so I can tell you that its very, very different here than it is in the NW. Nashville has bad air quality. I'm not too familiar with the other cities. It is cheaper here than the NW especially outside of the cities.

Also, remember when people here say mountains they are talking about hills. There are lots of trees here but its a totally different thing than the NW.

Why are you looking at TN? Because its close to your husband's family?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
See if you are a Titans fan that I all you need to move to TN
Well that and and a love for the color orange. I have lived in Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, New Mexico and I love it here in East Tennessee. There are beautiful hills and trees. You can go from the quiet country to the city in less than 1 hour. It might take a while to adjust but if you like football and nice people I'm sure you will love it here too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do realize that it would be different living there than here. The reason why we would move is because we want to be closer to family. All of Dhs family lives in AL. His two kids and parents. My sister lives in Missouri and my oldest ds is going to go to college in TX. Dh doesnt want to live in AL so TN would be close (closer than we are now) to everyone. TN isnt stuck in stone it was only a place to check out. Dh of course has been. He used to go to the Smoky mountians(?) with his dad as a kid. I don't want trafic or polution so a more rural place would be nice.
Melanie

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
the smoky mountains are the most polluted national park in the country.

Knoxville and the eastern mountains area has the highest asthma rate in the state, and there are cancer clusters near Johnson city.

We lived in south central TN for 3 years, somewhere between Chattangooa and Nashville. Rural, clean air, 1.5 hours to huntsville.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Wow..didnt know that about the air quality here!! Geez..

I live about 30 minutes from the popular tourist areas of the Smoky Mountains.

Try Strawberry Plains, New Market, Jefferson County....all within driving distance of Knoxville, and the Smokies if you're coming in this direction.

We love it here...

If you're headed to West Tennessee....Lawrence County is Amish Country. Really beautiful along Hwy 64 headed west. There's the Natchez Trace, you can hike and camp along it. Really nice. If you're still childbearing, the Natchez Trace Maternity Center is right there in Waynesboro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.